Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed a rattling/buzzing noise in the rear and assumed it was a loose heat shield or something else. However, I had it on the alignment rack this morning and that's not it. The noise seems to be coming from the front of the tranny. It does it at idle, in neutral, clutch out. Depressing the clutch makes no difference. But if I increase revs even a bit it goes completely away. New clutch and flywheel 21,000 miles ago. In the car or even standing next to it it does not sound nearly as loud and ugly as it does in the video.

I'm set to go to Barber this weekend but don't want to suffer a catastrophic failure on the road or track. But if I can get through the weekend and then have it checked out, that would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOja0yiM814&feature=youtu.be

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Did you check the header flange for leaks at the cylinder head? Headers for cracks?

Don't feel around with your hand while it's running. Even if you're careful not to touch.

Les

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Could it be an exhaust leak? Good luck.
A diagnosis from what appears to be a smartphone capture played back on an iPad? Maybe not. But I've heard exhaust leaks with that raspy, buzzy rattle sound before.

The raspy, buzz steered me away from a failed dual mass fly wheel, or clutch springs (or rubber if Porsche is still using that) rattling away. Don't think it's a throw out, pilot or input bearing but it IS a free internet diagnosis. :D

Les

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I took it to my shop and let the mechanic listen to it and he went around and stepped on the tips and it went away. LOL I guess it is a rattle after all. But I know it was louder toward the front of the tranny, and the alignment guy used a metal wand to his ear and said it was coming from the tranny. I think it may be that some part of the exhaust system upstream of the tips is rubbing against the tranny case and the noise is seems to come from it. I'll just have to spend some time underneath.

But I think I'm good to go the Barber.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Agreed you should be good to go for a track weekend.

You might put it on jack stands and check the torque on the header bolts (the ones that go into the cylinder heads). Also check the connections from the header to the exhaust pipes, and look around for any cracks in the exhaust piping.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Have fun.

The exhaust hangs off the back end of the tranny so that's probably what your alignment guy was hearing piped forward.

Les

1 - 7 of 7 Posts