Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 CS with 85k on it.

The other day the transmission started to make a spinning noise when in gear at low rpm and low load (very light throttle). As soon as there is load put on the transmission the spinning noise stops.

While stationary and the engine running with the clutch depressed the transmission sounds like a box of rocks. It has always had a slight rattle but now its really bad.

All of this gets worse with heat.

I changed the transmission fluid about 2 or 3 months ago with the redline NS nonNS mix that has been discussed on this forum.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sounds like a bearing going out.

To prevent further possible damage, I would stop driving it and get it checked asap.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changed the fluid today. Did not see any metal. New fluid did not do anything. Talked to a Porsche transmission shop. They think it may be the pinion bearing. These go out around 80k or so I was told. The problem is that the same thing will happen again down the road as the bearing is the same undersized one.

Anyone have any ideas on alternate transmissions that are stronger for the Cayman that can fit with some mild fabrication?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts