Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  OneTimeCS 
#1 ·
Got the call from Porsche, they want to swap out the transmission in my GT4 (nothing wrong, just a preventative recall so that I don't get the 3rd gear issue - which I haven't ever had).

Anything to look out for from anyone who has had this done? Can I keep my original transmission? I mean my tranny # isn't going to match my certificate of authenticity now...

#2 ·
Had mine swapped out about a month ago. Feels the same. I didn't ask about keeping the old one, I'm pretty sure they are sending them back. Haven't driven it much but going to COTA in 2 weeks for "break in". I had previously complained about a clutch pedal squeak when hot coming off track and my paper work stated "release bearing part of new trans replacement". They had told me previously the squeak was normal wear which I didn't believe. Anyway will see if it's noisy in a couple weeks. Also they will need to do an alignment, so bring your specs unless they already have them. I also needed a exhaust manifold bolt as one had worked loose. They replaced it and torqued them all.

#6 ·
That wouldn’t really be a certificate of authenticity since the whole point of them is to verify what the original sale included. Sounds like a catch 22 in that, your car will instantly depreciate for not being original even though Porsche clearly believes they sold you an inferior part from the factory. Really, you should get some type of compensation for lost value, but you won’t.
I feel for you.

#10 ·
When Porsche swaps a major component they update their records, in my case associated the serial number of the new engine with my car. So if you request a replacement CoA it should reflect the new combination.

Having said that, I just asked for a dump of the database, not a CoA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#11 ·
It should be treated similar to a recall, i.e the COA depicts the delivered configuration, and the recall is documented as a post-delivery modification. In other words, there would still be a documented paper trail.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
The third gear issue is a real one and has been the source of a lot of acrimony (and that's the polite term for it) between Porsche and Getrag, who make the transmissions. I don't know what has been done inside the transmission to correct the third gear issue -- anyone know?

The COA issue is a bit of a red herring, from a collector perspective. Keep in mind that these transmissions do not have serial numbers, they have date codes. The other thing to keep in mind is that, if you look at how this sort of thing has been received historically by collectors for other marques and models, factory-done swaps and upgrades do not diminish a car's worth. It's just as authentic as the original, since Porsche is doing the work (or their approved agents). Plus you get a car that can be driven. Cheers,

#16 ·
Some advise for when you have the swap done. I just had my already replaced tranny (2 years ago) replaced under the recall. The last step in the process is an alignment. If you have a track alignment make sure the dealer has those specifications. Also make sure you know which measurement system was used for the Camber reading. There are two main setups for reading. Degrees and Fraction of a Degree (100 to a degree) or Degree and Minutes (60 to a degree). Also the dealer might balk at doing a track (out of spec) alignment. They have to send a alignment report to Porsche NA. Tell them to set to factory specifications, do the report and then change to track setup that you want. At the most it will take them a few minutes more. It is the least they can do. Hope this helps all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.