Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. My dealership is missing something and I'm not sure what.

Bought my '06 Cayman S manual with 62k miles on it. At 72K miles the pressure plate cracked. I paid for it and they also replaced the clutch. Then at 75k miles when I took it in for routine work the tech said something was wrong with my transmission but was not sure what. They suggested to keep driving it. I was back at 78k miles with difficulty shifting into 1st and 2nd and feeling like the clutch does not fully disengage. They said my clutch wore out. They replaced it under warranty, but only bc Porsche could not send a tech to evaluate it. I learned later that Porsche dinged the dealership bc it should not have been covered under warranty. Now just 3k miles later (81K) I have the same symptoms. The symptoms improve as the transmission warms up. Once warm the car drives normal with the exception that the clutch pedal seems to engage/disengage very close to the floor (this was a problem before also).

They said the problem is not likely from the clutch but rather the driver seat. They said they are not saying I don't know how to drive a manual, my car is saying I don't know how to drive a manual. I have driven manuals for 16 years and my only other problem with a transmission was a throw out bearing on a Mustang after learning to drive a stick in it and then driving 120k more miles. I do not rest my foot on the clutch pedal and I do fully depress the pedal before a shift change. I do drive my car aggressively but I do not drop the clutch at stop lights. I'm not sure anyone can shift so poorly that a clutch wears out in 3k miles (if I shifted that poorly, I could never get the car to a destination)

The dealership has my car again. I have expressed that there is something else causing my clutch to go out. They say they will look at it.

My thoughts are clutch master cylinder failure or air in the line.

Can someone please give some insight? Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
Yes. If the dealership doesn't find a root cause (other than me) I'm going to ask to have someone else look at the car at their facility. I took it back to the dealership with hopes that it will be covered under warranty. I do have trouble with gear selection but it's the worst when the transmission is cold.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Some people have reported the shifting was a little smoother after replacing the trans fluid with Redline synthetitc or semi-synthetic.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thanks
I do have trouble with gear selection but it's the worst when the transmission is cold.
Gear selection when cold is quite common and can be eased with different transmission fluids. Difficult selection when hot is another issue all together and likely to be related to either the clutch or poor adjustment of the shifter cables.

·
Registered
747 Posts
What we found out that helped shifting especially cold was a mixture of Red line MT 90 and 1 lir of GM synchromesh friction modified gear lube.
I discovered it from a Honda website and used it on my Lotus for over 10,000 track miles. It became the go-to solution for weak syncros .carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts