Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Cayman S still has the original Michelin Pilots on it (~10k miles on them). I've been told that I have ~5k miles of tread left on them (4 - 6/32"), but my dealer is now telling me that they should be replaced immediately because they are 6 years old. Can I use them this summer, and if so, will they continue to perform well?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If not cracking / dry rotted, can probably safely still drive on them, but if it were me, I'd replace now (or as soon as the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are back in stock). The grip on dry surfaces will likely be noticeably better on fresh rubber compared to what you're on now. In the wet, with 4/32 at highway speeds in a Florida downpour, you could see issues. Plus, the Super Sports are a far better tire than what you have on there now.

Tires are the only thing connecting you and the road - best to maximize the grip, both for fun and for safety.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I usually go with the 5 year limit. I usually never wear out a set of tires (Hoosier exemption) before then. After 5 years, tires get hard and will loose their gripping capability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts