Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to keep a log of my enjoyable roads in the Tri State area. I've just had my Cayman for about a month now, so have just started exploring.

So far this is what I have:

Storm King Hwy, NY
So much fun. Its not a long route, and its kinda out of the way. But you can make a U turn at the end, and do it all over again. I have a big smile on my face the entire ride. Bonus: there's a few scenic points. Cons: far & road shared by cyclists (and no overtaking)

7 lakes Drive (in Harriman State Park), NY
This is more of a scenic road, but is fairly fun. There are a few intersecting roads which are nice. Better to go early (roads to yourself). This is close to Storm King Hwy... I drive through this on my way there. Also take the opportunity to go hiking after

Arden Valley Road, NY
Also in Harriman park. This is a windy road with minimal traffic. Excellent for the fall. Again combine with the aforementioned roads

Breakneck Road/ Canistear Road, NJ
These roads have potential. But you can get stuck behind slow traffic. I'd try them out if I'm in the area. Otherwise, I'd go early to minimize the chance of traffic. Tried to log this one on my Porsche GTS app, but I didn't have cell phone reception

Sky Top Drive, NJ
Very fun road, but also very short. This is a good option for me because its close. Again, it makes sense to make a U turn at the end and do it at least twice. Also can combine with Tracy Dr in the same park, but that's not as fun

New Vernon Rd (in great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge), NJ
Don't recommend. Speed limit = 20mph.

Of the above roads, Storm King Hwy is my favorite by far... I just went yesterday, and am already craving returning

Reactions: Jerry V

·
Registered
897 Posts
Pic from 7 lakes drive (Harriman State Park)

Your having some fun - that’s the way it’s supposed to be.

Storm King Highway is really fun but as you pointed way to short.

The trick to my rides is that I try to string together a bunch of routes separated by county roads. I feel lucky to be able to do my rides on weekdays and that’s a huge plus.

This is my hands down favorite route - search around on google or iPad maps in the area of Sandyston ( Tuttles Corners ), also look for the Walpack Inn and you’ll find many miles of great roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jim, I'll add that one to the list. I do try to add a few different rides when possible.

Here's a pic from Storm King Hwy

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thanks Jim, I'll add that one to the list. I do try to add a few different rides when possible.

Here's a pic from Storm King Hwy
I probably hit Storm King 8 to 10times this season and have only been able to get a spot once at that over look and that was on weekdays.

Glad your enjoying the Cayman - I find mine to be a really well balanced sports car for the street, I’m really happy with it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
7 lakes Drive (in Harriman State Park), NY
This is more of a scenic road, but is fairly fun. There are a few intersecting roads which are nice. Better to go early (roads to yourself). This is close to Storm King Hwy... I drive through this on my way there. Also take the opportunity to go hiking after
If you're going to be all the way out there (and I don't blame you -- I may sneak out there this afternoon), I'd consider the east-west road in Harriman, Kanawauke Rd, and consider connecting to Rt 17A starting/ended at Warwick. (Thanks, Jim.) I also like to hit the Perkins Memorial Tower.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was going to say the same re 17a. I would also check out 94 once you get to the end of 17a, going toward Vernon NJ. It's decent, and a 55mph. You can even turn if if 94 onto 23 and take that up to rt 97 Hawks nest.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, these roads do look quite fun on Google Maps. Will give them a try

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do you guys use the "GTS Routes" app? If so, it would be cool for those of you that do those runs frequently to record them in the app and let us know your username so that we can vote and follow you!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you guys use the "GTS Routes" app? If so, it would be cool for those of you that do those runs frequently to record them in the app and let us know your username so that we can vote and follow you!
I have it and tried to log a route, but the area didn't have data mid drive, so the route ended up getting plotted as a straight line (which made it tough to accrue "GTS moments haha)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never seen the app. I've downloaded it -- will check it out later.

I'll probably be in the Harriman State Park/Storm King area on Sunday. Anyone else will be around?
I may be out there. Debating where to do my last ride before I switch to Winter tires

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Went for my final cruise on Summer tires today... change to winters later this week.

Got to try a number of roads:

41.0254190, -74.3411700 to 41.0466940, -74.3566500, Norvin Green State Forest
After, keep driving on Weaver Rd (to 23), which is quite fun.

Required a lot of local driving to get to this road, but it was definitely worth it. Fun little stretch.

23, Wayne to Port Jervis
Probably won't repeat this one. Its a long stretch of road, but for the most part is just single lane (with double yellow lines). Not too curvy or fun. May have been good to see the fall colors though. It does get better towards the north end

Hawks Nest to Roebling Bridge to Hawley (97 to 590)
Again, this is more for the views. It looks like it has potential on google maps, but its a bit of a trek to get here (for me at least), and the payoff wasn't as fun as I'd hoped. But again, some of the views were amazing.

The 590 piece of the drive did have potential apart from 2 fairly major problems. First, the road surface wasn't great... definitely in need of a repaving. But at least there were no pot holes. Secondly, there are no legal passing opportunities (double yellow lines, and single lane the entire way). I was behind a slowish car the entire length, which was a little frustrating to say the least. I think if I had gone early and had the road to myself, I could have had some fun.

Worthington State Forest
I started on the very north tip, around Montague. Took Old Mine road south at the start. OMG this was scary... it was barely paved. Very poor surface. I was quite scared of picking up chips. Took it really slow, and fortunately escaped unscathed.

Things improved once I got to Walpack road. And then also the section the Jim quoted above was quite fun (and was fortunately empty)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Wayne to Port Jervis - too congested and too many traffic lights.

Hawks Nest to Roebling Bridge I like during the weekdays it’s very scenic and when the short stretch of Hawks Nest is not crowded it can be fun.

590 is best on weekdays. The texture of the road doesn’t bother me too much as it makes it a challenge in my mind to keep the car balanced and planted and also serves to keep my speed in check.

Next time try crossing the Dingmans Ferry Bridge onto PA 739 towards Lake Wallenpaupack. Also, River Road and Clove Road In Montague NJ can be fun.

Remember i do all of my pleasure driving on the weekdays so I have a lot more opportunities to enjoy the roads without traffic.

Went for my final cruise on Summer tires today... change to winters later this week.

Got to try a number of roads:

41.0254190, -74.3411700 to 41.0466940, -74.3566500, Norvin Green State Forest
After, keep driving on Weaver Rd (to 23), which is quite fun.

Required a lot of local driving to get to this road, but it was definitely worth it. Fun little stretch.

23, Wayne to Port Jervis
Probably won't repeat this one. Its a long stretch of road, but for the most part is just single lane (with double yellow lines). Not too curvy or fun. May have been good to see the fall colors though. It does get better towards the north end

Hawks Nest to Roebling Bridge to Hawley (97 to 590)
Again, this is more for the views. It looks like it has potential on google maps, but its a bit of a trek to get here (for me at least), and the payoff wasn't as fun as I'd hoped. But again, some of the views were amazing.

The 590 piece of the drive did have potential apart from 2 fairly major problems. First, the road surface wasn't great... definitely in need of a repaving. But at least there were no pot holes. Secondly, there are no legal passing opportunities (double yellow lines, and single lane the entire way). I was behind a slowish car the entire length, which was a little frustrating to say the least. I think if I had gone early and had the road to myself, I could have had some fun.

Worthington State Forest
I started on the very north tip, around Montague. Took Old Mine road south at the start. OMG this was scary... it was barely paved. Very poor surface. I was quite scared of picking up chips. Took it really slow, and fortunately escaped unscathed.

Things improved once I got to Walpack road. And then also the section the Jim quoted above was quite fun (and was fortunately empty)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
195 Posts
Going to be out this afternoon, I've got some time so I'll probably do Warwick then RT 23 toward RT 97.

Found a great road. Wanted to test some routes from RT94 in Warwick NY to 23, which goes right up to RT97 (hawk's nest). Found a great path, basically 94=>back roads=>Glenwood Rd/565. Glenwood was amazing, freshly paved, hard turns, *lots* of elevation change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.