Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In another thread, I was asked about a trip I took last month; so here are a few pics and some info.

Hwy 20, the "Cascade Hwy", runs all the way across Washington. The mountain portion, which is quite scenic, is between the west coast and Winthrop. Winthrop is a cute little tourist town where the downtown storefronts are done up in an 1880s "wild west" theme. The highlights of the Cascade Hwy are Washington Pass, where the "Liberty Bell" mountain is and Diablo & Ross lakes. These lakes were created by dams that provide elec power for Seattle, and the water is literally emerald green. Hwy 20 continues west to Fidalgo Island. I went up to Anacortes to take pics of yachts in the harbor. Then continued on Hwy 20 to the south end of the Fidalgo Island where another one of Washington's great scenic views is located: Deception Pass is the water inlet that runs btwn Fidalgo & Whidbey Islands. There is a parking lot on the south side of the southern bridge (there are two bridges in a row that cross Deception Pass) and that southern bridge has a pedestrian walkway for great views & photos.

Then I drove about halfway down Whidbey Island to the ferry that goes to Port Townsend. PT is a cute town with quite a few Victorian homes, etc. that draws a lot of tourists. Downtown is filled with nice knick-knack shops, art galleries, etc. and some wonderful restaurants.

Then I went west on 101 all the way around the Olympic Peninsula (counter clockwise), ending up at Olympia, where the state capital building is. I didn't have time on this trip, but the highlight of this leg is probably the turnoff to Hurricane Ridge (which is right by Port Angeles) in the Olympic Park. A portion of the 101 runs south right along the coastline. Can't see much from the road, due to the trees; you have to take the marked turnoffs to the beaches. I did that at a couple places, and the wide expanse and depth of the beaches reminded me of the CA coast just north of Santa Cruz. From Olympia, I drove thru Mt Rainier Natl Park; as it was on my way home.

In addition to the above, I did a weekend trip to Glacier Natl Park in June, and I've put almost 2K miles on my motorcycle this summer, Tomorrow I fly to CA for Monterey Car Week. Life is good.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
some more pics

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts