Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a track day on the weekend, the car performed very well, except the brakes (pads and fluid being upgraded this week) but as the day progressed I started having trouble downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. It was on two corners in particular ( the begining and the end of the back straight at Winton for the Aussies) when i was at full rpm in 3rd, braking very heavily for a 90 degree 2nd gear turn. On numerous occassions the car would refuse to go into second gear, it was as if the gear wasn't there, then usually once i was through the corner, and travelling a lot slower, it would slot in (after about 5 attempts). I have been driving manuals for 24 years, heal and toe very well so i don't think it was driver error. All other down shifts were fine.

A few suggested it may be a stretched cable or gear linkage issue, one suggested the engine mounts may be worn cause the engine to move under heavy breaking affecting the gear change ???

There is no problem with the gear change in street use. Would appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 993 at the track one day. The shifter in the 993 was a lot sloppier than the Cayman, so I don't know if it is the same issue or not, but the symptoms seem identical.

In my exuberance downshifting at the track, I was moving the shifter too far to the left. I moved it so far left it went past the (loose) reverse gate. The 3rd to 2nd downshift movement is down, left, and down again. Once past the reverse gate, there is no down, so the movement was down, left, then stuck. Just like you, I thought it refused to go into second, but when slower, or in the pits or on the road, it was fine.

Again, the 993 was much sloppier than the Cayman, so there was no real notch to get into reverse. It was real easy to move it into that area. My Cayman has a more pronounced notch, so it seems less likely that this would happen.

Just a thought....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could be right, it was happening at a point when a lot was happening, very heavy braking, late turn in, i may have been pushing it over too much. I'll take it out to a few back roads on the weekend and test that theory, I'd rather get it sorted that way than have someone pull the consol apart and check the mechanism. Though that would be a good excuse to have a short shifter installed.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I've done the 3rd to the non-existant 2nd downshift a couple times, and when I tried to simulate it later, the only way was to pull the lever too far to the left as downshift has described. Once I was aware of what happened, it has not been a problem since.

It also helped me to not grip the shifter too tightly, it seems to glide into the gears more smoothly, with no loss of shift speed, and I can feel the detents better as the lever moves between gears.

·
Registered
826 Posts
You could be right, it was happening at a point when a lot was happening, very heavy braking, late turn in, i may have been pushing it over too much. I'll take it out to a few back roads on the weekend and test that theory, I'd rather get it sorted that way than have someone pull the consol apart and check the mechanism. Though that would be a good excuse to have a short shifter installed.

Thanks.
Interesting that you mention the short shifter...

When I had this issue on my 993, it was before I installed my short shifter, although as bretster says, once you are aware of the issue, it's not a problem.

But after I installed the short shifter on my 993, the notch to get into reverse was substantially stiffer, which helped the issue even more. I don't know if that is the case with Cayman short shifters, though. Perhaps someone who has one can chime in?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've encountered this problem even on test drives - Boxster Spyder. defintely made me leary of the Porsche manual transmissions. In checking with my local dealer, it seems the Short Shift kit has/causes a similar problem...

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
Interesting that you mention the short shifter...

I don't know if that is the case with Cayman short shifters, though. Perhaps someone who has one can chime in?
I have a short shifter. A couple of times I have had trouble getting into 3rd at Turn 7 at Sebring. I think it is drivers error and only occured when I was too aggressive shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Took me a while to find this post.
Maybe it's a rare event but it happened to me a couple of weeks ago in Sebring. Leaving pit lane in 1st, shifted Up to 2nd and nothing. Just a reving engine. Tried it again with no result. Moved on to 3rd, 4th, 5th without issue. I was a little worried approaching turn 7 but downshifted into 2nd just fine and haven't had a problem since.
Interesting fact: a week prior I had my brake and clutch fluid bled. Leaving the shop the shifting had become very hard. It became easier during the next 100 miles of driving/shifting. Probably pure coincidence but I'll ask "my guy" what he thinks. Now I'm wondering about the shift linkage.

·
Registered
486 Posts
hey fellow aussie

I haven't gotten down to winton yet but would like to
I spend way to much time at the creek according to my wife

Back on topic
Our old 986 would crunch like crazy but it would still allow me to shift were as my motorbike did the same thing till it got so bad it decided it would not change all so I had to replace every gear in the box

our old 986 i had down at PRTechnology and they put some redline oil in the box and it seemed to hide the issue a lot

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
Just got back from a track day on the weekend, the car performed very well, except the brakes (pads and fluid being upgraded this week) but as the day progressed I started having trouble downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. It was on two corners in particular ( the begining and the end of the back straight at Winton for the Aussies) when i was at full rpm in 3rd, braking very heavily for a 90 degree 2nd gear turn. On numerous occassions the car would refuse to go into second gear, it was as if the gear wasn't there, then usually once i was through the corner, and travelling a lot slower, it would slot in (after about 5 attempts). I have been driving manuals for 24 years, heal and toe very well so i don't think it was driver error. All other down shifts were fine.

A few suggested it may be a stretched cable or gear linkage issue, one suggested the engine mounts may be worn cause the engine to move under heavy breaking affecting the gear change ???

There is no problem with the gear change in street use. Would appreciate any feedback.
In my case (trouble going from 2nd to 3rd on hard turns at the track) I believe that it was the motor mounts. That is the movement of the engine and transmission in the turns because of the motor mounts. After talking to the guys at Rebel Rock Racing, when I recently replaced my engine I changed motor mounts to WEVOs. I will know for sure in a couple of weeks after I get it on the track.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I didn't ever race my Cayman S, but in the three years that I owned it and the 75,000 km that I drove it I complained abut 10 times to the dealer that the car sometimes seemed to get "stuck" going from 2 to 3. Never any other combination, and not 3 to 2. Sometimes I had to back off and do it again, sometime I got 1st and sometimes I got 5th. I could always tell that it had gone into the wrong gear, and so I never let the clutch out, but sometimes it just seemed to hit a place between the gates and not budge. I was always told that it was "normal".

·
Registered
482 Posts
it was as if the gear wasn't there, then usually once i was through the corner, and travelling a lot slower, it would slot in (after about 5 attempts). I have been driving manuals for 24 years, heal and toe very well so i don't think it was driver error. All other down shifts were fine.
Well track hot transmission oil has a way of making the synchros mad. Could be one synchro is madder than the most. My old track car would be pissed about 2nd gear at times. Fine at others.

For myself, I've done plenty of extremely high RPM h&t downshifts (6K RPM+ blips) on track because of finicky transmission behavior. I've had race engine mounts blah blah. Who's doing -1.0g longitudinal in a corner? Doesn't happen. The hardest speed scrubbing is in a straight line. Stiffer mounts feel better, but won't change any stubborn shifting.

If that doesn't solve it, you may need to double clutch it as well.
Double clutch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never force the shifter (even on track) if it doesn't slide in - I blip higher on the RPMs and double clutch.

Good point about clutch hydraulics. I'd check your system is good there. All the track guys put the good brake fluid in the clutch lines to avoid any ambient heat affecting fluid quality.

Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Reading several blogs it seems that there are different problems caused by different issues.

One is the clutch pedal getting stuck at the floorpan which has happened to some of us including me. Air in line? Nobody has been able to explain this to me.

Two is a problem getting the shifter into gear. Could be a worn clutch, synchros, shifter linkage out of alignment or worse linkage brakes while at speed. Or as some of you pointed out, operator error.

Three is what recently happened to me: I was able to shift the shifter from 1st into 2nd gear easily. Straight down so no 3rd left to 2nd hard cornering operator error. Released the clutch pedal easily, but the gear would not engage. Most likely a master or slave cylinder stuck in the "on" position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.