Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carried out the 'alternative trunk clunk fix' yesterday (a very easy thing to do). The good news is that the trunk clunk is gone, but the bad news is that I now have a very annoying rattle. In all honesty, I think I had the rattle as well as the trunk clunk, but the rattle is now far more pronounced than before.

It sounds like there is a wire somewhere in the rear boot area trim on the left hand side of the car (passenger side for me). It could be in the trim that goes from the top of the door towards the rear, or even maybe in the trunk lining trim itslelf.

It is so dissapointing to be hunting down rattles in what otherwise is a fabulous car!

Is there a list of things I should check for known rattles?

My rattle is a high frequency sort of rattle, it does it all the time even over relatively smooth surfaces, it sounds like a wire (loom maybe?) vibrating or the edge of a trim piece being loose, however, I'm not convinced it is trim pieces being loose, it is too high freqency for a larger piece of plastic. Over ruts in the road, it also produces a loud plastic 'slaping sound'.

PLEEAAASSEEE HELP !! it's driving me to distraction :helpme:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just in case anyone has suffered similar to me and wants to know the outcome, I removed the boot privacy screen (as mentioned in the link above) and now the silence is golden!!! :banana:

Incredible to think that for the last four months I have suffering the noise made by such a small piece of fabric and plastic.

It's a whole new driving experience without these loud clunks and rattles. They were do bad that I used to tense up going over ridges in the road in expectation of the noise.

Its a whole new driving expereince now :dance:

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I have removed the privacy screen since I had the windows tinted and I still have a rattle back there. It is obviously some sort of plastic on plastic touching, but it depends on the road surface and inside temperature of the car.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The privacy screen was my problem also and I removed it. The way I finally identified the culprit/ source was a small spot on the aluminum paint that was worn off from the constant contact.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been fighting the clunk since I got the car, an 08. Its most obvious in the winter, partly because of temperature and partly because my golf bag is not in the back providing enough pressure on the lid to keep it quiet. I'd rather hear the rattle of the clubs knowing what they are than the elusive clunk. anyway.. i took the car in for my yearly wallet draining and mentioned that if they had seen any new fixes for the clunk to please give it a try. They had already installed one kit a year ago with no good results and now there was another one. That kit didn't work either so they took the damper out altogether and now that noise is gone but there is still the clunk of the lid itself. I tried adjusting the feet on the lid, out a few turns, which worked yesterday, but today its not working so I tried them all the way in. Still the same. Is anyone running without the damper weight? I'll ask about the latch adjustment mentioned here, but I'm ready for a real solution.

Is this a problem on 2009 and 2010 too? I'd keep this car at the end of the lease if it didn't make this noise, but no way if they can't fix it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd say the latch adjustment will work. Mine trunk is now very difficult to close and requires a very firm push (almost a slam), but i am happy to live with the closing difficulty (not really a huge problem) to eradicate the annoyance of the rattle / clunks from the trunk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts