Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll be taking the Boxster on a week-long tour in the foreseeable future, and on some days we should have the leisure time (and the inclination) to visit some wineries. Our purchases, either to enjoy during evening stops or to take home, will have to reside in either the trunk or the frunk (we plan to break in the fitted luggage bought from Schnell before we even had the car, so I'm thinking luggage in one end of the car, wine in the other).

I have not measure myself, but does either compartment get warm enough that the wine would be imperiled? I found on-line: "Beware! Heat is a wine killer. Temperatures over 70 degrees for a significant amount of time can permanently taint the flavor of wine. Above 80 degrees or so and you are literally starting to cook the wine. " and also "Whenever you carry wine in your car during warm weather months, it is best to keep the bottles in an upright position and keep them with you in the front of the car, not in the trunk. Also, do not leave them in a closed car which is parked in the sun. ". Uh, that ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
798 Posts
To be honest both my trunk and frunk get quite warm and with the temps you posted you'd easily be "cooking" the wine. Frunk may be your best bet though if you can add in a cooler or some insulation.

We'll be taking the Boxster on a week-long tour in the foreseeable future, and on some days we should have the leisure time (and the inclination) to visit some wineries. Our purchases, either to enjoy during evening stops or to take home, will have to reside in either the trunk or the frunk (we plan to break in the fitted luggage bought from Schnell before we even had the car, so I'm thinking luggage in one end of the car, wine in the other).

I have not measure myself, but does either compartment get warm enough that the wine would be imperiled? I found on-line: "Beware! Heat is a wine killer. Temperatures over 70 degrees for a significant amount of time can permanently taint the flavor of wine. Above 80 degrees or so and you are literally starting to cook the wine. " and also "Whenever you carry wine in your car during warm weather months, it is best to keep the bottles in an upright position and keep them with you in the front of the car, not in the trunk. Also, do not leave them in a closed car which is parked in the sun. ". Uh, that ain't gonna happen.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts

I've transported wine in the frunk before. It also fits in the trunk BTW.....but only for short drives from a wine store or local vineyard with no problem at all. The trunk gets much hotter because of the proximity to the engine of course. Your frunk will get above 70 degrees even with a Guards Red colored car. If your vineyard is far away or you are planning to daisy chain vineyard visits in the summer time, you risk the chance of spoiling your wine. The frunk isn't air conditioned. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
We don't need to carry wine in our Porsches, but do need to keep specific food cool on road trips. Previously, we have used cooling bags with sleeves and pockets for frozen ice packs that work quite well. A friend that has a Macan due to arrive any day ordered one of the cooling bags that plug into a 12v outlet...looking at the size, it would certainly work laying flat in the back of a Cayman, and just MIGHT fit standing up centred in the the trunk tucked up against the engine firewall.

Porsche Cooler Bag:Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories

Of course, other manufacturers make 12v coolers. I do like the Porsche version though...and it's relatively cheap for something Porsche branded. Of course, I bought two Porsche trickle chargers rather than CTEK versions, and the umbrella that fits in the door sill, and the rechargeable Porsche LED light, so guess I'm a bit of a brand **ore. ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
We travel all the time with our Boxster with wine in the Frunk. I'd be concerned with a $100 wine you plan to lay down for years, but a $20 bottle I plan to drink in the next day, not so much. We do keep them in an insulated bag to delay heating, with a blue ice block if handy. Let the bottle acclimatize to room before drinking. Or just pretend it's mulled wine.:naughty:

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I've never had a problem with frunk heating. May be on a hot day it can go over 70... Get a cooler if you are so concerned about above 70. You can fit pretty big cooler there :)

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'd use a cooler in the frunk for the wine you will drink on the trip, and just ship the rest directly from the winery to your home ...

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting points, everyone. I doubt I'd have enough ongoing use for a plug-in cooler, but maybe a foldable soft-sided cooler and some gel-packs might be enough.

Or just drink very, very fast...:cheers:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Trader Joes, if you have one near you, have a Frunk sized soft sided cooler bag. Would fit 6-8 bottles I imagine. That and some ice on the top should be OK. We live in AZ in the winter and our temps get up to about 90, not sure of Frunk temp. Your best bet, use a cooler bag in the trunk and get the benefit of the car a/c.

Machog

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You could just get the wine shipped to your house. But think about it: it ends up on a UPS truck which isn't air conditioned. And they don't ship wine in insulated boxes typically.

The frunk is totally fine for a case or two. Practically speaking the maximum amount of time you'd have the wine in the car is 4 hours. Maybe you pick up a few bottles at 1 PM and then you're back at the hotel after 5 when they close, after visiting some other places.

I wouldn't sweat it unless they were $3000+ cases of Caymus or Silver Oak.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trader Joes, if you have one near you, have a Frunk sized soft sided cooler bag.
None near me (no Trader Joes, no upscale restaurants, no Porsche dealer, in this county. Connect the dots...) but I could detour to one. Thanks.

You could just get the wine shipped to your house.
Finally. Until recently, illegal to ship wine to MD. Anyway, I'd like the option of settling down in a B&B one evening during the trip, and wandering down to the car to select a bottle from amongst our purchases.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tiger, I checked with my wife who is a sommelier...its fine for several hours. But she too suggested some of the cheap insulated covers if the temps gets really high or the time in the trunk will exceed 8 hours. Suggested to let the cool slightly before opening. She relayed to check for corks being pushed up and out of the bottle. High temperature can do this and then oxygen is entering. If the push a small amount its OK, but drink soon.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I use an Igloo cooler in the frunk...keeps beer an wine cold for a few days.

I measured the frunk and bought the one (a marine version) that fits exactly into the frunk so it doesn't move around in curves.

·
Registered
785 Posts
A standard sized hard shell cooler will drop right in your frunk and can keep items cool and also protect the frunk from spillage or contamination. Use a blue brick type cooler insert for wine and ice for food.
I routinely have one in my frunk and transport everything from wine to live Maine lobster.-Richard

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tiger, I checked with my wife who is a sommelier...its fine for several hours. But she too suggested some of the cheap insulated covers if the temps gets really high or the time in the trunk will exceed 8 hours. Suggested to let the cool slightly before opening. She relayed to check for corks being pushed up and out of the bottle. High temperature can do this and then oxygen is entering. If the push a small amount its OK, but drink soon.
Really good info! Anyway, I plan to take reasonable​ precautions, and not worry too much about it.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Tiger,

A number of years ago I worked in a wine shop in Denver while going through college. One big problem we had was people leaving wine in their vehicle during warm or hot days. The problem with wine being left in your trunk or frunk when it gets too warm outside, is the pressure builds in the bottle and pushes the cork out. So, if it is a warm or a hot day out, and your car is sitting in the sun with wine inside you should have some concern. If you are driving the wind doesn't have as much of an impact on the wine if it is in the frunk.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I use an Igloo cooler in the frunk...keeps beer an wine cold for a few days.

I measured the frunk and bought the one (a marine version) that fits exactly into the frunk so it doesn't move around in curves.
Which size Igloo Marine fits perfectly? The 25 or the 36? Or the 48?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I have the 36 Igloo Marine for use on the boat. It fits very nicely in the frunk.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts