Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I managed today to get the trim pieces off of the inside of the hatch of my 987.1. Here's some pics of what I found, followed by a couple of questions.

This is the problematic weight that causes the thunk noise; looks like a pair of centre channel speakers!

When I removed the weight, I noticed that the one of the rubber suspension bushings was cracked. Obviously, this is what was cause of the noise:

The part (987.512.125.02) will probably be replaced: $150CDN. The kit that I've read about (but never actually seen) looks like this:

So, to my questions:

1) does anyone know the installation sequence of these felt rings and washers? Or, does anyone have the instructions that I assume come with this bulletin?
2) does the weight actually need to be there? I took the car for a drive this evening and didn't notice much difference in terms of resonance or noise.

++++++
Further to the above, I thought I would post some pics and a brief description of how to remove the trim pieces. (There's very little info available on this or other forums, so I hope this helps.)

Recommended steps:

1) remove the two bolts (T25) that reside behind two small rubber plugs within the hatch's pull down
2) cover bumper with blanket. Then tape the painted parts of the hatch under the plastic panel edge to prevent damage to the paint. Next, wedge some shims between the large plastic panel and the metal surface of the hatch, near the centre (lower lip) of the hatch. As the gap increases between the plastic edge and the hatch, more shims can be added. When a sufficient gap has been made, insert a flat pry bar and pop the metal clips away from the slots. (Note on the hatch the small rectangular holes into which the metal clips are inserted. This will help you to know where to slide the pry bar as you work your way around the perimeter of the hatch, as well as how far to insert the pry bar.)

3) Once all the clips have been popped out of their slots, the lamp can be unplugged and the panel removed. The side pieces then can be taken off. The clips on these side pieces do not pop directly downwards from the hatch; rather, they pop inwards, towards the centre of the window.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice write up!

I also find that my hydraulic struts holding up the trunk rattle when you shake them and I hear it going over bumpy roads. Make want to check it out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice write up!

I also find that my hydraulic struts holding up the trunk rattle when you shake them and I hear it going over bumpy roads. Make want to check it out.
Thanks stonekutter. I shall inspect the struts as I try to silent that noisy cave behind me!

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is the problematic weight that causes the thunk noise; looks like a pair of centre channel speakers!

View attachment 269101

The part (987.512.125.02) will probably be replaced: $150CDN. The kit that I've read about (but never actually seen) looks like this:

View attachment 269103
My 06 CS had the trunk clunk issue. Rather than buying the kit, I used several thin layers of polyethylene (PE) foam (NOT the polyurethane foam that slowly decomposes to a sticky mess - it's usually yellow or gray open cell whereas the PE is typically white) under the weights to keep it from banging. Works great!
This Polyethylene foam can be found as white sheet material used in packaging various goods/electronics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 06 CS had the trunk clunk issue. Rather than buying the kit, I used several thin layers of polyethylene (PE) foam (NOT the polyurethane foam that slowly decomposes to a sticky mess - it's usually yellow or gray open cell whereas the PE is typically white) under the weights to keep it from banging. Works great!
This Polyethylene foam can be found as white sheet material used in packaging various goods/electronics.
Thanks for this tip. I've ordered the kit, and if I can't figure out how to use those rings, I'll do something similar to what you did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts