Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got a couple of LED light strips from ebay. I hooked them up to the city light light socket (the plug that's connected to the car and plugs into the city light housing) to make sure they work before mounting. Once I figured out the polarity, I noticed that even when the lights are off (switched off), the LED lights continues to glow, though much dimmer. However, the LED strip never go out. I don't think this is normal with the LED light strip. When I plug the regular city light/housing back in, the light bulb stays off until I turn the lights on. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Your LEDs have a much higher resistance than the normal bulb. In cars with electronic detection of burnt out bulbs, either a small current or a series of very short duty cycle pulses are used to "test" the bulb when it's otherwise turned off. On a normal bulb, this test current isn't enough to illuminate the bulb. I might be partially lighting your LED though. You may find that this also creates a bulb-out warning on the instrument cluster. If so, you'll need to place a resistor in parallel with the LEDs to make the light control unit think the real bulbs are there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts