Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Out lap trailing a Viper, GT3 and GT4 at COTA.
I know I'm not catching the GT4, he's a friend and better driver.
The other guys .... man, I wish the Boxster had some of that hp.

I should add that I'm thankful to be able to run one of the finest race tracks in the world.

Reactions: Arch

·
Registered
782 Posts
A DE is not a competition.
The winner is anyone that's gets to go home.
If it bothers you get a bigger Porsche.
After 3 years with my 981B with similar results as yours, I purchased a 991.2 C4S for reasons other the Track performance.
I kept the 981B.
But an additional benefit, is I rarely get passed anymore at a DE.
You must become comfortable in handling the additional speed though.-Richard

·
Registered
404 Posts
You are driving well and doing a good job keeping with them. While HPDE is not a race, adrenaline and testosterone do kick in (except in Massachusetts and SF) and you often find yourself essentially :racing" someone with whom you are pretty evenly matched. Like Richard, my 14CS rarely gets passed, but I do get a bit tired of waving well-driven Turbos, GT3s and Corvettes by. I've already told Santa what I want for Christmas: A GT4. And since I don't live in Massachusetts or Fan Francisco, I will have it modded to about 425 hp along with some suspension tweaks.

I would have to go through some adjustment getting used to a new car, but that can happen with upgrades other than horsepower. I finally got PSC2s and at first it was an easy change. But as I got more comfortable, I started using more of their capability. That meant carrying more speed into turns and powering out a bit differently than with the previous Pilot P4Ss. Still working on truly using them well, though.

·
Registered
782 Posts
One last thought, at a DE the advantage is to the car & driver that can get thru the corners the quickest.
If you are faster thur the corners, the leading car according to the Rules must point you by.
Many times you will see Miatas that are set up and driven well, passing faster cars on the straights with a point by.
As Posted above, the Porsche GT4 is one of the quickest cornering cars around.
I would have one except you can't get a PDK.-Richard

·
Registered
33 Posts
On that last thought what would it take to make a 981C/B handle close to a GT4? You can fit the same size tires, upgrade to a more adjustable suspension, including sway bars, LCA... The main thing that would be harder equal or get close to would be the aero that the GT4 has sorted out from the factory.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
And the Viper would look standstill against formula car. So what. Just enjoy a great car on a great track!

Out lap trailing a Viper, GT3 and GT4 at COTA.
I know I'm not catching the GT4, he's a friend and better driver.
The other guys .... man, I wish the Boxster had some of that hp.

I should add that I'm thankful to be able to run one of the finest race tracks in the world.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
COTA is always a HP orgy. Show up with a GT4 and someone outruns you with a GT3. Show up with a GT3 and someone outruns you with a McLaren. It can get very expensive trying to have the biggest weapon. I’ve driven COTA 3 times and my 303hp is a knife at a gun fight. My left arm gets plenty of exercise pointing all the track weapons by. But I enjoy my time on a great course and don’t worry about all the cars that are passing me.

Your lines are excellent. I would contend you’re driving better than the 3 cars in front of you. No way you should have been with them coming out of T20, but you were. Watch your videos and look for places where you can get better (apexing a bit early in T9?). If that was your first time at COTA, you did very well.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Have to agree with the previous comments You drive some nice lines and extremely smooth and flowing transitions. You catch the others in the turns. If they drove as well as you they would have been much further ahead.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
COTA is always a HP orgy. Show up with a GT4 and someone outruns you with a GT3. Show up with a GT3 and someone outruns you with a McLaren....

.... look for places where you can get better (apexing a bit early in T9?)......
Thanks you nailed it, I made a mess of T9.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.