Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I was in high school and college installing car stereos was a piece of cake! So, foolishly, I thought I could simply throw one in my 2007 CS. WRONG! I think I might be in way over my head. Right now the water is up to my mouth!

After doing hours of research on P9 and reading reviews on Amazon/Crutchfield, I decided to buy a Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS head unit. I also bought what I thought was the appropriate wiring harnesses to go from the OEM harness to a harness that can be spliced into the Pioneer wiring. But after FINALLY getting my crappy OEM radio out of the car, I found four harnesses coming off the factory radio. The harness I had would only let me plug in two of the OEM harnesses. So there are two OEM wiring harnesses that currently aren't going anywhere. That can't be right. What am I missing? Did I get short changed a harness or two? I've attached photos. First photo shows the two harnesses that have no home. Second and fourth photos show the two OEM harnesses fitting into the single harness with the spliced wires at the end. Photo three I just threw in there to show what wires come off the back of the Pioneer.

Please, I beg, I plead, I pray all you wise P9 people can give me some direction, or point me to a youtube video or a thread that will help me. I want to avoid taking it to an install place. I feel I need to learn how to do this.

The water is quickly rising. I don't want to drown in my own ignorance.

Many thanks to any assistance you can offer. And, yes, by all means poke fun of my foolhardiness. I deserve it!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Its actually pretty easy if you buy the right 2DIN kit. The overwhelming consensus here is EuroMotorSpeed (available from Suncoast). Comes with instructions and tech support.
In lieu of that, did you find the wiring map of the OEM plugs? That might at least tell you what's what. View attachment CDR-24 harness pinout.pdf

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its actually pretty easy if you buy the right 2DIN kit. The overwhelming consensus here is EuroMotorSpeed (available from Suncoast). Comes with instructions and tech support.
In lieu of that, did you find the wiring map of the OEM plugs? That might at least tell you what's what. View attachment 153882
Thanks for the wiring diagram. If I'm reading the diagram correctly, it appears the two wiring harnesses that have no adapter harnesses connected won't be used? So I guess I just tie them off? I won't be using a phone via the Pioneer head unit.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the kit I have is from Euro Motor Speed, but I bought it back in February and apparently misplaced the owner's manual that came with it. Does anyone have a copy they could photograph/scan then PM me the pages?

·
Registered
45 Posts
You don't need the fiber optic harness. You just need the two on that fit your harness. Remember you also need a source for switched 12V power which won't be available from the built-in connector (as the stock radio uses the fiber-optic link for the switch signal).

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I’m pretty sure I have all the speakers wired between the Euro Motorspeed harness and the Pioneer. But I want to make sure I have the power cords wired properly. Could you please look at the diagram below to see if this looks right? The writing in the parentheses is quoted from the Pioneer and Euro Motorspeed manuals.

Thanks!

Pioneer Black (“ground") >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Euro Black (ground)

Pioneer Yellow (“To terminal supplied with power regardless of ignition switch position") >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Euro Yellow (Battery)

Pioneer Blue/White ("Connect to system control terminal of the power amp") >>>>>>>>>>>> Euro Blue/White (Amp Control)

Pioneer Orange/White ("To lighting switch terminal") >>>>>>>>>> Euro Orange (not labeled in the diagram) ????????????????

Euro Blue (Antenna Control) [Not used? Don’t have power antenna]

Pioneer Red ("To electrical terminal controlled by ignition switch") >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Not sure where this should go.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't need the fiber optic harness. You just need the two on that fit your harness. Remember you also need a source for switched 12V power which won't be available from the built-in connector (as the stock radio uses the fiber-optic link for the switch signal).
Thanks! I think I've run into the switched 12v situation (Post #9) you describe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have poor radio reception when you plug everything in connect the Euro blue to the Pioneer blue/white and the Euro blue/white. Otherwise you should be good to go!

Good luck!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have poor radio reception when you plug everything in connect the Euro blue to the Pioneer blue/white and the Euro blue/white. Otherwise you should be good to go!

Good luck!
Cool!

Where should I connect this?
Pioneer Red Wire ("To electrical terminal controlled by ignition switch")

The Euro Kit came with a long red wire with a fuse on the end. I'm guessing that plugs
somewhere in the fusebox (anyone know where?). Does the Pioneer red wire plug into that?

There's also a long orange wire that came with the Euro Kit that says:
"Connect to the rear tail light ground wire lead for the bulb associated with night light. Illumination signal can also be triggered from any source in the cabin area which illuminates when headlights are switched on." Is this necessary to do? If so, where can it be connected other than at the rear tail light?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm subscribing....you're a couple of weeks ahead of me. I'm doing a full Bose gut and replace - HU, amp, speakers, subwoofer, etc. Just waiting on the HU and amp wiring kit to arrive.

Like you, I installed many car stereos in high school, but it's been a few years. If you are going to run wires all the way back to tap into the tailing wiring, think about whether you want to install a backup camera while you're in there. Running the wires is supposed to be the hardest part...

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Euro Kit came with a long red wire with a fuse on the end. I'm guessing that plugs (anyone know where?). Does the Pioneer red wire plug into that?
I used a fuse tap and ran it under the cover below the steering wheel. C6 is the common fuse to tap, though I found C5 to also work (and it's clear on manual cars, so I used that instead). See http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...66-cdr-24-replacement-issues.html#post1607634. You'll want to plug whichever wire is the "12V Switched" on your Pioneer head-unit to that.

There's also a long orange wire that came with the Euro Kit that says:
"Connect to the rear tail light ground wire lead for the bulb associated with night light. Illumination signal can also be triggered from any source in the cabin area which illuminates when headlights are switched on." Is this necessary to do? If so, where can it be connected other than at the rear tail light?
Yes, you'll probably want to plug that in, as it will dim the head unit at night (when the lights are on) and put on a dark UI in things like Google Maps and other apps in Android Auto (guessing CarPlay does something similar). Otherwise you have to enable/disable dimming in the stereo menus manually which is a pain, or live with the very bright screen at night (or very dim at day).

I added it with a T-tap to one of the internal lights that gets lit up with the car lights. It was a gray/red wire near where the passenger-side footwell 12V connector is. See the diagram attached. View attachment Fig. 32- Interior Lights Circuit (1 of 2).pdf

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With the help of all of you, Euro Motorspeed, and google searches I was able to get the Pioneer radio wired and installed. It looks pretty good. As I said earlier, the nose of the radio doesn't fit all the way through the trim piece, so it's not flush on the outside. I'd say the radio is set back maybe half an inch... not ideal, but not bad.

I installed a 6.75" door speaker in the passenger door. But when I compared the right channel (passenger door with new speaker) with the left channel (stock speakers), it sounded better but not significantly better. If the factory speakers were a 5 out of 10; the aftermarket (Fosgate 6.75") speakers were probably a 7 out of 10. Changing the head unit made a huge difference in sound, but the speakers not so much, in my humble opinion. So I'm abandoning the idea of new door speakers. For me it's just not worth the trouble. I should have listened to the advice of someone on the forum who shared a similar experience.

If I were a audiophile I'd drop the big money and install a kickass system. But all I require is adequate sound with the ability to listen to my iPhone and SiriusXm.

Thanks to everyone who guided me through my install ordeal. Now all I need to do is get the door panel back on the door and I'm done!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.