Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW just came out with very competitive lease rates for the 2011 M3 as well a new Competition Pack. If you are willing to pick it up in Europe, lease for $750/mo for a nicely equipped M3 Coupe with zero down. $5K down and you are at $598 - base Cayman rate...

I also hear they have a proper engine oiling systems installed.

Though they are 700 lbs. heavier than our cars...

·
Registered
976 Posts
BMW just came out with very competitive lease rates for the 2011 M3 as well a new Competition Pack. If you are willing to pick it up in Europe, lease for $750/mo for a nicely equipped M3 Coupe with zero down. $5K down and you are at $598 - base Cayman rate...

I also hear they have a proper engine oiling systems installed.

Though they are 700 lbs. heavier than our cars...
Seeing John's car on the dyno got you thinking didn't it? Always had a soft spot for M3s myself, but as you said you're going to feel those extra 700lbs in the corners.

One question though, would the M3 be that much different from your track prepped S4?

·
Registered
565 Posts
The M3 is a good lookin' car. However, it doesn't have NEARLY the sexy look of the Cayman. The M3 doesn't tempt me at all. Unless of course I was lookin' to get a family car...

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
The latest M3 is awesome, but there's something missing in the experience compared to a dedicated sports car like the Cayman (or a 911, or a Corvette, or a Lotus, or even an Aston Martin V8). It is an incredibly competent 2-door sedan, but for me it would be a daily driver, not something for special occassions or experiences. Maybe it's the size, or not being low enough, or visceral enough, or whatever, but there is a difference.

That said, I avoid being near BMW dealers when driving my current DD, because I'm afraid I'll trade it in a weak moment for an M3. ;)

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Visually I just cannot get beyond the mangled rear with offsetting lights. And of course Bavarians are so much different than Schwabians almost like having their own country. I feel more like a combination between Hamburger and Schwabia so have a natural tendency towards Porsche.

But to each his own. I would still talk to you but not as loud since those V8s are so quiet. Funniest comment on dyno day was the M3 guy saying he could barely hear himself think while following the Porsches with all the noise they were making. Are Sports Cars ever quiet?

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
The M3 motor is a jewel (as Cayman should be), power feels much more linear than the CS, though I hope that is mostly correctable with mods. But with its small tank and low city mileage, around town the M3 does not like passing a gas station too often. Heavier yes, but a very poised chassis and EDC disguises it pretty well .

·
Registered
205 Posts
M3 was my second choice to my CS. The thing that absolutely swayed me was the gas milage on an M3. I hear it's like 14 mpg. I average 24 in my CS. I just think that gas mileage that bad is irresponsible.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I actually was thinking of jumping into a M3 when the lease on my 07 CS was up... there were a few things that I didn't like, such as the ho hum exterior styling, no ventilated seats, brakes that do not do the car justice... but the thing that really swayed me against the M3 is one word... iDrive. Whoever came up with this thing should be fired and probably banished from Germany for eternity.

On a 09 X5 which I drive every now and then, it is the dumbest thing to manage and I constantly need to take my eyes off the road to use it. Need to change the audio source while using the navigation routing? Well that's only 13 button pushes/wheel clicks away. No way in hell I was going through that on my DD car. Need to change the A/C auto settings on the fly? Well call your insurance company cause your going to crash into something before you do...

Moving from my 07 CS to the 09 C2S, I was AMAZED that Porsche actually got the electronics right in a car that costs more than some homes do in this country. Now pigs have to start flying.

·
Porsche Prophet
938 Posts
If you are willing to pick it up in Europe, lease for $750/mo for a nicely equipped M3 Coupe with zero down. $5K down and you are at $598 - base Cayman rate...
/QUOTE]

Always heard no money down on a lease...
I have leased cars for for over 20 years...NO MONEY DOWN...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not a bad deal on the M3 coupe though - I was quoted $1,150 per month with no money down for a 2010 M3 DCT coupe last October!

That is why I went with the Cayman S!

Dave

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
I don't know, I actually sat in the M3 convertible at a recent car show - that car is pretty hard to resist, despite the weight and appetite problems. Even with all the electronic nannies and luxury items weighing down these cars (and pretty much most Bimmers), they still manage to drive like a BMW, obviously a credit to their engineers.

Although I still prefer the E46 version 3-series, M3 or otherwise (I used to have both a 325i and a 328Ci). Quite simply, less is more (same philosophy with the Cayman vs. the 911).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own 2 BMW's along with my CS, so I'm a fan of both marques (I'm not bragging, one of them is 10 years old with 200,000 miles on the clock). I'd drive both cars before plunking down the price of admission to either one, as they drive differently. The BMW is not a tank, but it isn't a scalpel, either. I don't have an M3 (my brother does, though) so my experience is limited. I haven't met many people that do own them that don't like them, unless they get the dual-clutch version. BMW hasn't figured that out yet, it seems. One thing to think about though, is whether you want a fast coupe, or a pure sports car. good luck with your choice...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I have leased cars for for over 20 years...NO MONEY DOWN...
No money down and higher monthly payments. Or money down and lower monthly payments. Either way you're paying the same amount over the term of the lease.

(Actually, the less you put down the MORE you're borrowing and hence slightly more expensive.)

Don't know why people brag about putting nothing down, ok, good for you, you now have higher monthly payments.

Same amount of money over the term either way.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.