Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This community has a wealth of information that I'd like to tap into.

Background: I decided to purchase a Cayman GTS (Racing Yellow, PDK, X73, etc.) and talked with a couple local dealers. One was particularly helpful and professional in my selection and offering a fair price. BUT, the dealer does not have an allocation at the moment and is "... working with PCNA for a build slot".

So, here are some of my questions.

* How rare are build slots (or whatever is the correct term)?

* How often do such build slots open up?

* Does anyone know when the next "wave" of CTS build slots will open up for North America?

* Any "politics" involved in one dealer getting allocations vs another??
FWIW, the dealer I selected is in a major city in the Bay Area and enjoys a good reputation on the street -- IMO.

While its only been a week since I submitted my deposit and while anxious about moving forward, I can be patient. Yet, I'm trying to get an idea of what the landscape is like and when my Sales Consultant is likely to call me with "the good news".

Regards.
D

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Typically, the number of build slots a dealer receives is based on previous years' sales volume.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I suggest casting your net as wide as possible among dealers throughout California, Nevada, Arizona, and perhaps Texas (if not farther). You will expand your possibilities of build slots, and you will leverage your negotiating. While the Cayman GTS is precious to you, it's just a commodity to the dealer. Traveling to pick up your new car and driving it home might be very enjoyable...and you could get it sooner than you thought possible.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If the dealer you selected does not have an allocation from PCNA for the model you want, I am having hard time understanding why you would want to give them a deposit before they have the allocation to offer you. I would consider looking elsewhere. I assume your deposit for the promise of trying to locate an allocation slot is fully refundable in your state.

This community has a wealth of information that I'd like to tap into.

Background: I decided to purchase a Cayman GTS (Racing Yellow, PDK, X73, etc.) and talked with a couple local dealers. One was particularly helpful and professional in my selection and offering a fair price. BUT, the dealer does not have an allocation at the moment and is "... working with PCNA for a build slot".

So, here are some of my questions.

* How rare are build slots (or whatever is the correct term)?

* How often do such build slots open up?

* Does anyone know when the next "wave" of CTS build slots will open up for North America?

* Any "politics" involved in one dealer getting allocations vs another??
FWIW, the dealer I selected is in a major city in the Bay Area and enjoys a good reputation on the street -- IMO.

While its only been a week since I submitted my deposit and while anxious about moving forward, I can be patient. Yet, I'm trying to get an idea of what the landscape is like and when my Sales Consultant is likely to call me with "the good news".

Regards.
D

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, this is the first time I've ever gone the "order to spec" route. Usually, I've purchased a car that is "on the lot". The dealer indicated that they would likely get an allocation in the "near future"... and I really am in no "hurry". I'm just trying to better understand how these things get distributed. I guess I'm not a great shopper in this case, but I'm learning fast.
The deposit is fully refundable, so if the dealer really does have a difficult time getting a build slot, I can start the whole process over again. I guess I need to establish a date to make that decision and not let it dangle on.
Thanks for the reality check.

D

·
Registered
276 Posts
This should help a little bit.

http://porschecentrecalgary.com/Ordering-a-Porsche-911-Part-II-Allocation-and-Production/1041/blog.php

A lot of our ramblings on the executive waiting and who's first GTS threads puts out some more insight on the allocation process. In my specific case my dealer didn't have one at the time but it was the first batch and I was their first GTS customer, so they were sure they were going to get one. This was back in early April. At that time the Q2 allocation slots were already finalized or being sold, so I had to wait for a next build slot which wasn't announced by PCNA until mid-May.

In your case, the SA is probably assuming the next batch of PCNA allocations are coming sometime this month or Dec, but there's still no guarantee this dealership will get more GTS slots. They can actually find out from their PCNA regional rep ahead of time, but I doubt they'll push to do that until they get a firm deposit. There's no harm in asking around other Porsche dealerships just to hope for an unused allocation that hasn't been locked in yet. Dealerships can also trade allocations with other dealerships for high demand models like Macans.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, sounds like it is NOT uncommon for the process to span 3 to 6 months.. from "we have a deal" to "here's your car".
As we are nearing the end of '14, I'm wondering if there is a re-distribution of new allocations at year's end for the beginning of the new year, e.g. 2015.
The dealer that I've committed to should be able to tap into those new allocations --- presuming there is not hanky-panky going on.
But I bought my first Cayman from this dealer in 2007 (off the lot) so I have some level of comfort with the organization -- even if naive.

Guess that's why you all used the Thread name "Executive waiting" club !!
D

·
Registered
47 Posts
There's no harm in asking around other Porsche dealerships just to hope for an unused allocation that hasn't been locked in yet. Dealerships can also trade allocations with other dealerships for high demand models like Macans.
For our Boxster, our dealer in Florida was able to swap an allocation with a dealer in NY, so from order to lock was about one week. Turns out the NY dealer wasn't so anxious to get a Boxster delivered in January and swapped our dealer for a Cayenne.

·
Registered
642 Posts
to the original poster: when did you put your deposit down? and how many dealers did you contact regarding the GTS allocation? I just put a deposit down on 11/11 for a CGTS at Rusnak Pasadena for a december build. It is true that GTS allocations are more rare than a base of S model but at the time when I was talking to several SoCal dealers, a couple of other dealers in my area also had allocations available. Fortunately for me but unfortunately for you, the freeze date on the build was on 11/11! I got in right at the very last second. In fact, on the morning that I went in to put my deposit down, the freeze already took into effect. My SA ended up having to swap allocation with another dealer for me. From memory another dealer that I spoke to also had an allocation for a december build was Downtown Porsche in Los Angeles. Beverly Hills Porsche didn't have any more until March of 2015. As far as I know, there is no more build slot for December of this year.

I'm not sure what specs/options you're looking for in your Cayman GTS, but there is a sweet black on black Cayman GTS at Rusnak Pasadena with a 6-speed manual. My SA was willing to give me a sweet deal on that car if I wanted to take it off the lot. But I wanted a specific color combo and I didn't mind waiting for it. If you are interested in this GTS, let me know. I can put you in touch with my SA and I'm sure he can give you a great deal on it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
My initial order was made without a firm allocation, but SA felt confident they would get one and did. No problem. Originally, I worked with a less experience dealer who refunded my deposit just to learn a month later that they received an allocation. If you like the working with dealer "x", and he feels he can get your a car, my advice is to give him the benefit of the doubt and go with it. His Porsche rep will try to accommodate it.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Have you considered buying your ordered GTS from a dealer that is a greater distance than you originally thought you might travel. All Porsche dealers will service your GTS regardless of which one you purchased it from. There are dealers out there that are only a one way plane ticket and fun 200-2000 mile drive from your home. Just think, your car will get broken in much faster and you will have an experience that will be hard to duplicate.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I learned is that I am not a sophisticated auto-buyer. I kinda got the "I'll take that white RDX" from the Acura dealer down, but this ordering a car to be "built" for me is new. Your thought of calling up a dealer in LA and buying it from NorCal just never occurred to me. I figured if I got a price that I had guestimated was a fair price for the car I wanted, that would be good enough. Sadly, I went into the process self admitting that I was not in a rush. Really. I was thinking of buying a new car in 2 years, but my wife said, "... why wait". So, not having an immediate build slot didn't set off the alarms it should have (back to the 'I never did this before' thing).
Now that I'm into the process, I just wanted to better understand the nuances of the process.

Like Rommel once (reportedly) said, "... they are not that smart, but they learn quickly!" Yea, that's me.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All things that come to good ends are good things...

I still am not sure about these allocations things --- but my SA informed me that I have one !!

My build date is late Jan (to the body shop) with delivery in mid April on the West Coast-- all things going well.
So, now I'm off the allocation-in-waiting situation to the much preferred "981 Waiting Club" !
Yea..
D

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Welcome to the executive Waiting club. now you can worry if you made the right choices on your car order, maybe change them a couple of times.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I still am not sure about these allocations things --- but my SA informed me that I have one !!
It's much simpler than it sounds. In general ... and conceptually ... this should be about right.

A factory can produce only so many vehicles. These vehicles get allocated around the world. Some go to Europe, some to China, some to North America (PCNA), some to OZ, etc. or Rest Of the World (ROW).

PCNA allocates vehicles to dealerships based upon whatever formula they use. The distribution is not uniform. Not all dealerships are allocated vehicles every quarter for every trim level of every model. In other words, for Oct - Dec, 2014, a dealership might have 3 Boxsters, 2 Panny, 0 Macans, 5 Cayennes, 1 Cayman, and 8 911s. But next quarter maybe 1 Macan, 0 Cayennes, 1 Panny, etc.

You tell your dealer you want a Cayman. You get on their local queue. Now you wait until they get an allocation. Might be next quarter, maybe in six months for a hot model like a Macan.

When you see cars in the lot, it means the dealership could not sell all the cars it is allocated. But they still buy them for inventory. Otherwise they lose a possible sale, and possibly get less allocations from PCNA in the future (a guess). The dealer will spec the inventory car in a manner which they think will sell locally. So if you see a Porsche in a dealership lot, it means they did not have enough customers queued to order their entire allocation for that model.

If you are used to buying cars of lots, it just means the dealership, regardless of who it is or what cars it sells, does not have enough customers to support a steady state of cars being produced vice customers buying. Ideally, a dealership wants the minimum number of days for cars on a lot. As long as the car sits in a lot, they lose money because they already bought it from PCNA.

Google cars days in inventory. e.g. The Easiest 2014 Cars To Bargain For - Forbes In May, a Subaru Forester turnover time was 7 days but a BMW 6 series - 205 days. Very little discount on a Forester. Big discount on the 6 series.

I hope this makes sense and if I got some part wrong, someone can fix it.

good luck

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Funny you should say that .. I took my wife to the dealer to "see" the 981 platform. We looked at the rendering from the CC program on the big screen --- And she wanted to change the color of the wheels. (I'm in with Racing Yellow and with all the black GTS accents, went with the black satin colored wheels). Well, she opined that bare Al would look better. It was all I could do (with the sales consultant back ing me up) to walk her back from the brink.
But, I know that will not be the last time !!!

Anyway, the black satin will not show disk pad dust as much -- IMO..
Maybe I'll be happier when the code gets locked in.
D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts