Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After seeing a few discussions regarding the fuel tank squeaking issue that is described in TSB 1403, I decided to poke around the project car and see what the fuss was about.

Firstly, thanks to pj123 and the photos he posted that provided the inspiration.

The two pads in question were missing from the car. Getting access to replace them is surprisingly easy. I don't know why the TSB calls to remove the fuel tank, a full days work with a semi-disassembly of the front end of the car. You just don't have to do this.

Video below showing how to get access and do the fix.

The pads can be bought from Porsche for far more than it should cost for a piece of foam. Some soft foam that has some reinforcement would work perfectly. I used some old foam as this car isn't going on the road. For glue I used contact adhesive because it was in my shed, but anything that is going to stick foam to metal will work.

TSB attached below for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank will be supported by the coolant pipes if it's either full or empty. You need to lift it a bit to unclip the tank and also to fit the frame at the end, so less is better than more. I had about 1/4 tank and this was no problem at all.

I'd definitely use a paint brush and be very specific where you put the glue. If it gets elsewhere it's going to grab the foam when you push it up there. If using a glue that dries quickly, put loads on so it stays wet while you are feeding the foam in. If it dries a bit it will grab the foam and you won't get it to the correct position. You want to be able to slide it up there easily and then have the glue set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts