Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI

I have 2014 981 caymans (PDK, PASM, PTV), should I tuning 981 cayman s or just buy new lotus exige v6(race pack) for track?

I dont care daily use too much, but keep most factory interior will be good . T
he car most time will be use for track fun and better lap time .

Tuning the cayman s(suspension,roll bar,
harness bar, seats,powerpak...) will be better/faster track car than exige v6?

thank you! :)

some lap time:

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/lotus_exige_s_350-vs-porsche_cayman_s_2013.html

[TABLE="class: large, width: 580"]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]Track[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]Exige S[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]Cayman S[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nordschleife[/TD]
[TD]7:53.00[/TD]
[TD]7:55.00[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tsukuba[/TD]
[TD]1:04.33[/TD]
[TD]1:06.01[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Hockenheim Short[/TD]
[TD]1:11.30[/TD]
[TD]1:12.80[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sachsenring[/TD]
[TD]1:39.55[/TD]
[TD]1:37.90[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Blyton Park Circuit[/TD]
[TD]1:04.40[/TD]
[TD]1:05.50[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
[TABLE="class: large, width: 580"]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]Track[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]Exige S[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]Cayman S[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nordschleife[/TD]
[TD]7:53.00[/TD]
[TD]7:55.00[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tsukuba[/TD]
[TD]1:04.33[/TD]
[TD]1:06.01[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Hockenheim Short[/TD]
[TD]1:11.30[/TD]
[TD]1:12.80[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sachsenring[/TD]
[TD]1:39.55[/TD]
[TD]1:37.90[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Blyton Park Circuit[/TD]
[TD]1:04.40[/TD]
[TD]1:05.50[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you are just looking for a track dedicated car than buy an Exige V6 cup car. You will have to spend nearly $50K more than the Exige to have competitive lap times in a Cayman. At that point, you should probably be looking at a used Porsche Cup car instead of a highly modified Cayman but the consumables on the Porsche are nearly cost prohibitive. An engine refresh is about $40 to $50K and a tranny refresh is about $25K.

The consumables for the Exige are a lot less as the engine is essentially a Toyota engine so parts are cheap. Also, tires, brakes, rotors, etc are probably half the price compared with a Porsche.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are just looking for a track dedicated car than buy an Exige V6 cup car. You will have to spend nearly $50K more than the Exige to have competitive lap times in a Cayman. At that point, you should probably be looking at a used Porsche Cup car instead of a highly modified Cayman but the consumables on the Porsche are nearly cost prohibitive. An engine refresh is about $40 to $50K and a tranny refresh is about $25K.

The consumables for the Exige are a lot less as the engine is essentially a Toyota engine so parts are cheap. Also, tires, brakes, rotors, etc are probably half the price compared with a Porsche.

I agree, really no comparison... the Exige V6 is a real track weapon and waaayyy cheaper to operate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:)
I can not buy EXige v6 cup(R), but just can buy the standard Exige v6 for some reasons.
Is the modified Cayman costs too much and not be worthy to compare with the track-oriented standard exige v6 for track?
I love cayman, but cayman has great potential for track?

Thank you~

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cayman's are definitely great track cars but the Exige is a lot lighter and has more power making for a faster car, and the handling is a bit more precise on the Lotus too.

Again, consumables are cheaper on the Exige.

In the end, get whatever car that appeals to you. But, if you want the faster track time and lower cost to maintain, then the Exige seems like the more compelling purchase.

Where are you from? Lotus does not import any street legal Exige V6's in the U.S. :(

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,728 Posts
I think a dedicated track car is the way to go. A lot of track guys here in Alabama are building Porvetts, 944s with a V8 engine. Just about as fast as a Cup car and can be built for about 20K.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
looking at the track times tells me the Cayman handles far better than the Exige. The Exige has superior power to weight and straight line acceleration...there is only one place that the Cayman closes the gap..

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used to run on the track quite a bit with the older 4 cylinder Exiges, and their track times are signficantly faster than a Cayman. The older Exiges typically had less than 260HP so the new V6 Exige will probably widen the gap by an even wider margin. I don't believe a stock Cayman would close the gap regardless if it is on the straights or curves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts