Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a 2006 CS with 62k miles and a TPC turbo kit (installed @ 48k miles in 2014). It had Porsche service history less than 1k miles ago and runs well. I had it on the lift today to do an oil change and AOS replacement when I found lots of non-magnetic metal shavings in the oil filter (picture attached). IMS bearing failure? Turbo bearing failure? Thoughts on next steps are greatly appreciated! Previous owner reports having the IMS Bearing Direct Oil Feed modification installed.
Hand Finger Musical instrument Cooking Recipe

·
Registered
2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, 2017 GTI
109 Posts
Man! Those are freakin' shavings not little specks. I wouldn't drive it anymore until you learn what were it's coming from. It might mean the difference between a rebuildable motor vs an artificial reef. I am truly sorry man from one car guy to another. Best wishes!

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and 2010 GT3
1,006 Posts
I’d say cylinder score-chunks…. Putting a turbo on an N/A motor was mistake #1 (whoever did it). I don’t see the gain advantage running 5lbs boost on a 12:1 compression motor…
This just sucks man… that’ll be 20-25k for a rebuild. I’m sure you detonated and the cylinder wall gouged
Sorry to be so blunt… there is a YouTube cayman guy that doing the same thing and I wish I could tell him not too.. honestly it would be cheaper to do a TT 3.6 911 motor swap

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a 2006 CS with 62k miles and a TPC turbo kit (installed @ 48k miles in 2014). It had Porsche service history less than 1k miles ago and runs well. I had it on the lift today to do an oil change and AOS replacement when I found lots of non-magnetic metal shavings in the oil filter (picture attached). IMS bearing failure? Turbo bearing failure? Thoughts on next steps are greatly appreciated! Previous owner reports having the IMS Bearing Direct Oil Feed modification installed. View attachment 276844
If you have the car on the lift, you might be able to pull a plug out and look into the cylinder with a borescope and see if scoring. As to the Turbo, I thought these cars were scoring without a turbo? I know more heat and boost won't help but that might not be the cause in that case.

I think the important thing about the OP is he just got his world rocked, so maybe the community can help him out?

Anyone in his neck of the woods with a bore scope perhaps? Or know a good, moderately priced independent shop near him?

This is a car guys almost-worst nightmare. OP, were are you located, maybe someone near you can help out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I have new plugs and was planning to replace them after the AOS. I'll have a boroscope in the garage on Monday to check for scoring. I've also requested oil sampling kits from Blackstone Labs and Speediagnostix and reached out to Flat 6 Innovations. I hope it's dislodged aluminum shavings from the turbo oil return line (that waited 7 years to make an appearance), but fear it's bore scoring (Cylinder Bore (Scoring) – Flat Six Innovations – Porsche Engine Experts)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Are you using oil? What does the exhaust and or rear bumper look like?
Sorry I’m was a bit abrupt, I just think these turbo kits are not a good fit on a high compression motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is definitely blowing oil out the exhaust at startup, but also seeping out of the intake like a failed AOS. I've only driven it twice since purchase and the oil level is "full". My understanding from the forums and others with the turbo kit is to run half a quart less oil (one bar below full) to reduce the risk of AOS failure. That's what started the oil change that uncovered this.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It is definitely blowing oil out the exhaust at startup, but also seeping out of the intake like a failed AOS. I've only driven it twice since purchase and the oil level is "full". My understanding from the forums and others with the turbo kit is to run half a quart less oil (one bar below full) to reduce the risk of AOS failure. That's what started the oil change that uncovered this.
Man…. Those metal fragments have me real concerned tho… no idea about a 1/4 less… I wouldn’t personally… since that has turbo lines wouldn’t you need more oil for that extra path??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you purchase from a private owner or dealer? Only driven twice...damn, that sucks. I'd venture to guess that the previous owner was aware and maybe what prompted the sale. No chance to return it I take it? Damn, I really feel for you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
when you do oil sample analysis ask for complete ferrography test , it will show the micron size as well as the composition of these shavings, through which you can tell pretty much from which part of the engine these are coming from.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What good is a PPI without an oil filter inspection. Or did you buy a turbo modified motored car without a PPI? You will need to remove your oil pan and clean it up if its not caused by bore scoring. Not sure where the non magnetic material could come from except the cylinder walls. The IMS bearing is metal. I would not start it up until you hear from Flat 6 Innovations, Jake Raby, You might look at his on line video collection re bore scoring and related topics before calling him.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What good is a PPI without an oil filter inspection. Or did you buy a turbo modified motored car without a PPI? You will need to remove your oil pan and clean it up if its not caused by bore scoring. Not sure where the non magnetic material could come from except the cylinder walls. The IMS bearing is metal. I would not start it up until you hear from Flat 6 Innovations, Jake Raby, You might look at his on line video collection re bore scoring and related topics before calling him.
Gentlemen, please let's try to stop blaming the poster... .man, he is going through a rough patch here! C'mon. These days it is almost impossible to get a PPI. Cars are selling on auction sites with 10 guys deep. Most Porsche dealerships don't do PPIs anymore and often you have to bid on a clock and take your chances. If you don't believe look up Blue Cayman I tried to bid on Cars and Bids just a couple of months ago. So I would like to appeal to you as fellow car guy to just have a little compassion and acknowledgment of the current buying realities these days.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Some states have a mandated return policy of so many days. I would check with your state, you maybe able to return the car to the seller. Hurry.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Gentlemen, please let's try to stop blaming the poster... .man, he is going through a rough patch here! C'mon. These days it is almost impossible to get a PPI. Cars are selling on auction sites with 10 guys deep. Most Porsche dealerships don't do PPIs anymore and often you have to bid on a clock and take your chances. If you don't believe look up Blue Cayman I tried to bid on Cars and Bids just a couple of months ago. So I would like to appeal to you as fellow car guy to just have a little compassion and acknowledgment of the current buying realities these days.
That's a pretty good explanation why if I was in his shoes I would probably avoid coming here or the other places like it to ask for advice.

Well, actually I would, but I'd be ready to filter the response. Lol

Good post by the way

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought many of us had given him good advice. That being said any post these days has the asshats...any post. No matter what, people are so unhelpful with little compassion for others situations or feelings these days.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've known this car and it's previous owner for 3 years as part of our local club... even parked in the garage bay next to my vehicle for most of that time. I'm not looking for any advice on PPI or dumping it back on the seller as I'm sure we'll work it out if this is catastrophic. He's aware of the situation and following along.

There was no sign of this at it's last oil change and the car had been sitting for ~6 months before I picked it up. I replaced the battery, drove across town and back, and started the oil change that found the shrapnel.

Jake Raby at Flat 6 Innovations has been very responsive and I'm hoping we can figure something out.

Here is another image of the filter cut open. I wasn't able to get anything to stick to a magnet.
Blue Stairs Black Road surface Wood

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I would also call TPC for their advice as they had the car and added the TPC turbo unit. Show them the pictures and tell them the story. These issues need to be pushed back to the guys that first rebuilt the engine as a turbo. Maybe they can tell you why this happened. Mike is a reasonable car guy and he knows how fragile the M-97 engine is. I followed his oil pan design and oiling advice for a number of years, to glean any additional information re rod bearing scaring or bore scoring. Let us know what his team concludes is the issue here. He has a reputation to uphold as he still sells this modification.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts