Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,
(those of you with turbo caymans)

have you noticed that the MPG readout, as well as the "Miles remaining" estimate on your tank of gas is completely off after you had the turbo installed?

apparently this is due to the following: the instrument cluster counts the fuel injector pulses and calculates MPG. but the bigger injectors that are part of the kit aren't known to the instrument cluster. so the MPG read out is far off. as the MPG calcs aren't done in the ECU, they can't be fixed as part of the ECU re-flash.

does anyone know if it's possible to crack into the instrument cluster software and whether it might be possible to tweak the multiplier value to correct the MPG read-out? i would like to do this if possible.

or do most of you not care and just enjoy putting your foot into it?
:hilarious:
http://www.planet-9.com/images/smilies/hilarious.gif

·
Registered
528 Posts
I like to show the Prius guys that I can go fast and get 50MPG :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
every now and then i scroll through and see that i supposedly get 40mpg i just chuckle and put my foot down = p

Casey is absolutely right, mpg is the last thing i'm thinking about in my car heh.

·
Registered
111 Posts
guys,
(those of you with turbo caymans)

have you noticed that the MPG readout, as well as the "Miles remaining" estimate on your tank of gas is completely off after you had the turbo installed?

apparently this is due to the following: the instrument cluster counts the fuel injector pulses and calculates MPG. but the bigger injectors that are part of the kit aren't known to the instrument cluster. so the MPG read out is far off. as the MPG calcs aren't done in the ECU, they can't be fixed as part of the ECU re-flash.

does anyone know if it's possible to crack into the instrument cluster software and whether it might be possible to tweak the multiplier value to correct the MPG read-out? i would like to do this if possible.

or do most of you not care and just enjoy putting your foot into it?
http://www.planet-9.com/images/smilies/hilarious.gif
Fuel consumptions is calculated by the cluster, based off information provided by the DME. When you install larger injectors and change the DME calibration, the cluster receives incorrect data for actual fuel consumption.

This is fairly easily corrected in the DME. Contact your tuner.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tony,
thanks for letting me know that the correction could actually occur within the DME. i have contacted TPC about this and their initial response a little while ago was that this couldn't be done. i will follow up a 2nd time with your encouragement. is there any further technical hint that you could share (perhaps a module name, or function subroutine name, or similar that is of relevance to such a potential fix)?

all others here:
for me this is not about fuel economy per-se as it is about modding a car without taking a decrease in functionality... it just feels better when everything works as it should, only better :), after tweaking a car!

that said, i got a few laughs out of all of your comments. my favorite:

"I like to show the Prius guys that I can go fast and get 50MPG" :)

so i guess i'll look to have a switch under the dash that allows me to boost my readout artificially once it is fixed so that i can have some fun with all those prius owners around me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts