Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many companies out there are developing turbo kits out there for the Cayman?
I have only read about TPC.

Are there any TT kits in development?

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I only know of TPC & haven't heard or seen a twin turbo kit for the Cayman. Wow you are going straight to the top for mods!

·
Registered
502 Posts
How many companies out there are developing turbo kits out there for the Cayman?
I have only read about TPC.

Are there any TT kits in development?
What application are you doing that you might need a TT kit? 2 does not always mean more power...that is determined by the size of the turbo, the config of the setup, and tuning. The TPC system produces 420- to 500 some I think. A single turbo may be better depending on your application.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Other have tried but died a death. Only the good shall rise and prosper.
TPC: check.
Others: checked out.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
yep, we are the only game in town. A few others have tried but, afaik, didnt produce a product. We have over 150 world wide.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What application are you doing that you might need a TT kit? 2 does not always mean more power...that is determined by the size of the turbo, the config of the setup, and tuning. The TPC system produces 420- to 500 some I think. A single turbo may be better depending on your application.
For some reason I thought that two smaller turbo would spool up faster than one large one.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It is all in the tuning and how the turbo is built. running low PSI really keeps spool times down. But fwiw, a twin turbo kit would cost a lot more... and likely produce the same end power.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Thats right as Casey said.

Twin turbo are better for high boost setups as trying to do the same on a single larger turbo results is a lot of lag.

Porsche have a Patent on a variable vane system in the turbo so as to optimize spool up at low revs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found that another company (Turbowerx) has turbo kits for Boxster 2.5, 3.2 as well as the Cayman.

TurboWerx

Moderators;
I am not afilliated in any way or have done business with this company. I just wanted to chime in on this thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a fair amount of research before deciding on my turbo purchase including the RUF conversion. At the end of the day, I decided to go with TPC due to price point/performance. I wasn't able to get as much information on the Turbowerx option as I'd have liked and after a year of reading boards, talking with various tuners, etc. the reviews for TPC were very positive - including an endorsement from a Porsche dealer.

Granted, I'm putting a turbo in my '05 Boxster S and not the Cayman and that might make a difference but all things considered, TPC was my first choice. I'm not trying to blow smoke up TPC's tailpipe and the unit isn't installed yet but so far, I'm quite happy. Tom at TPC has answered all my stupid questions and I didn't get the sense that he was indulging me just to ensure the sale. Things could be different post-install but based on feedback from other board members who have done this with TPC, I'd say I made the right choice. At the end of the day I think you need to look at install base as well as that's often a good indication of the product's suitability for your application.

My $0.02

t.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's always great when a tuner stands behind his parts and company. Giving the customer his time and answering all questions is a positive thing. Congratulations on your purchase and Good Luck on your new boosted boxster. Give us feed back whenever it's up and running. Enjoy your future forced induction beast safely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts