Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Nice vid. The low end torque on a turbo is always going to pull away quicker than a NA engine. Best of both worlds with a 3.4 CS T...

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Hey I thought you did a good job of keeping up with him in several spots, but he was also not driving the line very well either, a better driver in that turbo should have put a lot more distance on you. :) (nothing against the turbo owner's driving skills, he could well have been taking it easy for all I know)

·
Registered
62 Posts
That turbo driver looked pretty far off-the-line in just about every corner - not to mention overbraking. FT, you looked like you were hitting your marks and were driving better than the turbo driver all around.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Whoa......ease up on the weak driving comments. I am just learning here!

I have to rethink my next donation to this site KMAN.....just kidding;)

Let me try to save face, if possible.

This was my 1st day in blue, 1st solo in blue, just learned heel/toe THAT morning (no joke) and had FT in front of me. Nervous? Hell yeah! Why? I knew FT was arguably the strongest driver in the group and I didn't know what to expect. I was just hoping to stay with him. There were more than a few of high powered cars in the group that had trouble keeping with him including a 480 rwhp 997Turbo told me he had trouble staying with FT.

I was not expecting the pass, especially between 2-3, and YES I drove my mirrors the whole 1st lap looking at him. Stupid and now that I see it, embarrassing. Turn 3 was intentionally off line after the pass, the others are just sloppy. I got back to my line in lap 2 where I start to pull away and then I had space and got much cleaner and faster. FT would you agree?

Lesson(s) learned. Don't drive your mirrors and make friends with anyone with a camera so they don't feed you to the CaymanClub wolves:hilarious:

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Great stuff, guys. The REAL question...how did the Turbo hold up on the track? Heat issues? How about lag and throttle response?

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
The turbo is awesome! I've got 10 track days with it since last December; 5 Summit Main, 2 Shenandoah, 3 Watkins Glen. I had an oil pump/leak, that was ugly, the 1st day on track but TPC fixed it without hesitation. Since then no problems and it's a blast to drive.

As Casey stated it is detuned. At one point it was 395rwhp but I had it at TPC for service several months ago and they updated the ECU programming. This was supposed to be matched with a wastegate setting but they didn't have time to adjust it. It felt like I lost power and wasn't pulling as hard but the smoothness was terrific. I may dyno to see where it's at.

Based on that video and comments I need to work on my driving and forget about power.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Brian is driving good and moved into Blue quickly. I warned him FT was a good driver! By the way, a Red group driver who normally drives a GT2 took Brian's Turbo Cayman out with Brian riding shotgun. I have a short fly-by video clip and will post later. I timed a few of his laps and he was running in the low 1:25s -- but he was NOT pushing it. I could see this car going to the low 1:20s easy at SP.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe that is much more difficult to drive powerful cars comparatively. Brian coming into the Blue group was driving superb IMO. He was closing to me so fast between T2 and T3 that I just couldn't not let him by, so I gave him a point by. previous laps I was opening up from him during the "autox section" of SP (T5 through T9) and probably was fast going out of T10. So, as he mentioned, I think he was driving with his eyes on the mirror that half a lap after the pass. Also, I have now 39 track days with 17 of them in SP; but once Brian relaxed and opened a gap to me, I could still see him and he was driving extremely well. I would bet money that he'll make it to White group before I do.

I posted the video just to show the level of difference with that setup vs. mine; I think it was worth viewing, not to show anyone's driving skills.

·
Registered
208 Posts
GREAT GREAT video gents. Amazing stuff...chase/camera car (FT)...I hope to be able to drive half as well as you some day. BMWalsh...kudo's on getting out there and mixing it up.

Mind if I ask what the video was shot with??

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Krazed1 for the complement.

I use an Aiptek HD camera; I think it is very good. That was 720p at 60 fps, but it is capable of 1080 at 30 fps. The only down side it does not have an external microphone input, but the new versions of it has that.

AIPTEK USA

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
JCriggs thanks for the kind words! I realize I need a lot more seat time if I expect to drive with you. The session with Dr GT2 was awesome. He beat the hell out of my car but now I know where those valuable seconds can be found. I might be willing to share......

FT - I laughed when I watched the video because I remember looking in the mirror constantly. I had a few people comment to me, besides Jcriggs, that you were the best driver in the group and had great car control. Based on what I saw and your experience they were right and I'd take your bet. I don't think Blue's in your future for very long.

Looking forward to seeing you guys on track again soon! Let's park closer togther next time.:cheers:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Brian; I am actually quite happy in Blue, hope to be there for some time to come :)

Yea, we should park together next time, I was late to the track both days, I'll try to be early next time.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,574 Posts
Thanks for the video. The torque down low must be awesome when you have a corner thats just a little too fast to down shift but leaves you off the fat part of the power band.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
You're correct. You seem to have more options with the turbo. If you know Summit Main, turns 3 and 10 are good examples where you can stay in 4th even if you you're not carrying the best entry speed and make up the difference quickly.

The red group driver who took me out last weekend experimented a lot with his shifts; with and without traffic. He commented on how well it did in both high and low gear exits.

·
Registered
280 Posts
thanks for sharing. good to know that the TPC kit and our motors stand up to the abuse of the track = )

very anxious to bring the car back to Buttonwillow for a follow up after a little bit of added boost.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts