Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the car (718 B) has been with the dealer for a couple of weeks now waiting on parts for repair. Looks like some sort of failure in the turbo. The most notable symptom being a loud metallic noise at around 2700rpm accelerating. The car has felt 'off' for a while and the problem was only diagnosed on my third visit to the dealer. Anyone else had anything similar and should I be worried about any knock on effects?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Interesting. I have noticed a metallic vibration sound when I gradually roll on throttle between 2500 and shy of 3000 RPM. It sounds like a lose heat shield or something similar. I was going to have it checked out soon.

EDIT to add...

I paid close attention on my commute home today. The metallic rattling noise I'm hearing is during slow throttle roll on and off between 1800 and 2000 RPM. My turbo appears to be working fine as I can feel the strong push over 2500 RPM.

Keep us posted on the progress of your car. I look forward to finding out what's causing my rattle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Haven't heard any kind of rattling at any rpm. Just passed 10,000km on my 718 S. The only rattles I had were from the rear hatch area on bumpy roads, but the dealer was able to fix that. Please keep us updated, this is the first I've heard of a turbo failure.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My rattling is on the right side as well. I should get this checked sooner than later.

·
Registered
832 Posts
This is to be expected on brand new models from any manufacturer at any price point. The big mechanical change in the 718 is the new engine so it's bound to have some teething problems in the first year. My strong recommendation to all is if you think there is something wrong, including a noise that was not there before, take it to your dealer and complain. Don't wait till something breaks! Early and often reports of a problem will identify what maybe systemic problems that Porsche needs to fix and perhaps even have a recall on. But they only know if we, their customers, give them feedback. Good Luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine was in the fire, it's totally gone, just a shell. Not sure what's happening yet, porsche aren't being clear on whether it's a claim on my insurance or theirs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mine was in the fire, it's totally gone, just a shell. Not sure what's happening yet, porsche aren't being clear on whether it's a claim on my insurance or theirs.
This is horrible. It's gone from not so great news to much worse.

I hope this works out well for you. Sorry to hear this news.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ugh, gutting. Hopefully the insurers sort it out quickly between themselves and you don't have to sit around waiting for them to slowly argue about who's liable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.