Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I am jumping on board with you 987t guys, I am curious about the following:

First Question:
Is there a difference in the turbo output with the Sport button on?

Second Question:
Does the PSM remain in control of the car with the turbo on or not? If the PSM cannot control the car with such hp, then what is the best solution? Would an LSD help? Or what?

Don't get me wrong, I drive my Cayman 100% of the time with the PSM off... but with the turbo now I am not sure it is wise to do so... at least until I get used to it or in the case of rain... etc. And I wonder if the PSM was on or off in this video when he almost lost control at minute 2

http://www.youtube.com/v/SMPS5EPipH8&hl

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Driving 100% of the time with PSM off seems a bit foolish to me, it is there to help you should you get into a situation where you need help. I see people do this on the track when I am instructing them because they believe it will make them faster, usually it makes them slower because they are not smooth and often go beyond where they should in order to have the proper line, setup, balance, etc. Turning if off on the street doesn't increase your performance, just removes some of your safety net. The PSM settings when the car is in Sport mode are close to ideal in terms of when it kicks in and when it doesn't, especially when combined with a limited slip differential of some sort. PSM is going to control the car whether it has a turbo or not, the problem is that with a turbo and PSM off your margin for error is even less because the turbo has the capability of getting you into trouble much faster than without a turbo. There is a guy local to me who has a Boxster, a nice 2000 S, which he has put into the wall at the track now 2 or 3 times because his reaction times are a bit "slow" and he doesn't like driving aids like PSM. His solution? he wants to put a supercharger or turbo on his car, thus further decreasing his reaction time and I'm almost certain increasing his odds of going into the wall or off track again.

Remember that Sport mode scales back the PSM intervention, but it is still there, PSM off turns items off until you break or other items kick in. Well what if you are late braking? Won't that make PSM late and thus a non-factor in trying to save you? Again, I see no reason to turn off PSM on the street, on the track yes for the right driver with the right skill set who has already learned to be smooth and maybe doesn't have a sport button that retards PSM for them short of turning it off. Off is never completely Off either but I won't go into that, it's been discussed elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As always Ken it is a pleasure to hear from you.

I'm afraid I got misunderstood with my post! The reason why I turn off the PSM all the time is not for performance but to enjoy flirting with the tail of my croc from time to time.

Anyway, my question about the PSM is to see if it is still capable to protect the car with the boost of the turbo.

And my question about the Sport button is to see if there is a difference in the performance (in terms of power not stability) of the car with the turbo with the Sport button on and off.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Couldnt tell you whether or not Schwabe was running PSM during that run but the issue with what happened in the video was extremely cold tires. Video was made on Jan 1, so it was likely below freezing.

Not something any of us would worry about, if anything you need to be more aware of your surroundings as things will come upon you faster.

PSM cuts power to the car when the tires break loose. So it doesnt matter if you have a turbo or not...

I know you like to drive fast, you will likely be driving at the same speeds w/ the turbo, however you will be getting there more quickly.

The sport button stays functional, but just like an NA car, you get no performance increase from having it depressed in conjunction w/the turbo system.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
I think the only reason you would have PSM disabled on the street is if you are trying to lay out some black tyre marks or drift corners every now and again.
I can go to the track with Sport mode on and PSM on and it hardly ever activates [even less so with LSD].
PSM ON is like a safety barrier reducing you chance of sliding over the edge. PSM OFF is like without any safety barrier, you can go just slightly closer to the edge, but one small error and your over the cliff.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
PSM was on. It was about 38 degrees and the streets were wet. PSM as any electronic stability program can only do so much. Turbo or not if you suddenly turn your wheel hard at high speed PSM cannot prevent your car from spinning out. If you gradually increase turn in and/or speed PSM would interfere and try to prevent a spin out.

Same is true for suddenly losing grip due to cold, hard tires, wet or icey conditions or tires which have barely any thread left.

When you look at my videos on the Dragon, PSM is also always on, in many turns it will interfere and see the yellow lights flash and a lack of power to the wheels.

Dragon Run - RnC4 - 2009 on Vimeo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.