Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed my Level 3 with Sport Driving School and was coming home late at night with nobody else on the road.

There are a couple of very large wide roundabouts which leave a lot of room for error where I live so I decided to put it in Sport+, Turn Off PSM and hold it in 2nd and then just as I exited the apex I gave it a bootful to crack the back out... The problem is when I corrected to catch it nicely instead of it holding a nice drift and coming back straight I ended up with a very fast pendulum of the back coming back around the other way and then again once more back to the other side before snapping straight. I definitely did not over correct - maybe not enough throttle when the back stepped out?

I don't understand exactly what went wrong, but it was mildly scary to feel that pendulum effect.

Anybody else experienced anything like this or have any advice for what would have cause a pendulum swing back of the tail instead of a controlled drift. - Roads were bone dry and I run P-Zeros.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just completed my Level 3 with Sport Driving School and was coming home late at night with nobody else on the road.

There are a couple of very large wide roundabouts which leave a lot of room for error where I live so I decided to put it in Sport+, Turn Off PSM and hold it in 2nd and then just as I exited the apex I gave it a bootful to crack the back out... The problem is when I corrected to catch it nicely instead of it holding a nice drift and coming back straight I ended up with a very fast pendulum of the back coming back around the other way and then again once more back to the other side before snapping straight. I definitely did not over correct - maybe not enough throttle when the back stepped out?

I don't understand exactly what went wrong, but it was mildly scary to feel that pendulum effect.

Anybody else experienced anything like this or have any advice for what would have cause a pendulum swing back of the tail instead of a controlled drift. - Roads were bone dry and I run P-Zeros.

When we did the skidpad at the track for the Porsche Club Training school, it was very hard to maintain a drift on these cars. Its due to the mid engine all the weight is balanced. Almost 90% of the time a little too much power would throw the car into a 360 or a partial oversteer.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Delete thread. Since when is this a street racing forum? Go post on Reddit for the teenagers without licenses.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Drifting ....I will take my own advice and not comment but will let you give yourself advice.

I don't understand exactly what went wrong,
- Roads were bone dry and I run P-Zeros.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can't imagine a set of tires with a 220 AA wear rating would last very long with drifting. Forget the fact that they aren't designed for it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Delete thread. Since when is this a street racing forum? Go post on Reddit for the teenagers without licenses.
Calm down westwest888; part of knowing these cars intimately is knowing how to handle them when they get sideways. Hence why Porsche driving instructors at Camp4 / Sport Driving School spend a lot of time focusing on controlled oversteer. Having the confidence to then implement your skills in a safe environment is the only way to consolidate what you know - last time I checked, I wasn't a teenager and an abandoned road didn't amount to street racing ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When we did the skidpad at the track for the Porsche Club Training school, it was very hard to maintain a drift on these cars. Its due to the mid engine all the weight is balanced. Almost 90% of the time a little too much power would throw the car into a 360 or a partial oversteer.
I agree with you, the mid-engine makes it feel almost like it's spinning on a top. More practice at the skidpan and on the track is the solution. :)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Calm down westwest888; part of knowing these cars intimately is knowing how to handle them when they get sideways. Hence why Porsche driving instructors at Camp4 / Sport Driving School spend a lot of time focusing on controlled oversteer. Having the confidence to then implement your skills in a safe environment is the only way to consolidate what you know - last time I checked, I wasn't a teenager and an abandoned road didn't amount to street racing ;)
I don't leave the track and corner Interstate 5 at 115 MPH because I know I can. I set the radar cruise control to 9 MPH over the speed limit like everyone else. A closed course with corner workers, ambulances and fire trucks on alert is not the same thing as public roads on which you assume no one else could be driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't leave the track and corner Interstate 5 at 115 MPH because I know I can. I set the radar cruise control to 9 MPH over the speed limit like everyone else. A closed course with corner workers, ambulances and fire trucks on alert is not the same thing as public roads on which you assume no one else could be driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for your moral high ground input, it's truly appreciated; but I'm looking for input from drivers of 981 S's who can comment on the dynamics of this car from having experience in oversteer in different conditions.

·
Vendor
707 Posts
This is why I tell every single person "NO" who inquires about deleting the PSM in a 981. The PSM is much less intrusive in the new car and allows a much higher slip angle when you want to get in trouble ON THE TRACK. It's my job to tell you "shame on you" as much as its my job to tell you that your rear toe could be zero (because the LR on mine is from the factory and it makes for super loose handling on track) , it could have been cold tires, you could have added too much throttle or maybe been too far into the power band or maybe you breathed off the gas slightly enough to loosen up the diff unbeknownst to you. I was instructing at Sebring and we go so sideways in my car with him driving with the PSM off, after we showed the passenger door to everyone behind us, I turned the PSM back on for him immediately. Be careful...I leave the PSM ON in the wet or on when the tires suck because when it's off, if your alignment isn't perfect, you're going to experience that which you did, every single time. It happened to a few others on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
The one lesson I took away from my intro DE, and it's segment on the skid pad attempting to learn to control power oversteer, was that I should never even consider attempting it on the street because I will immediately lose control and crash.

Thanks DE! :D

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I set the radar cruise control to 9 MPH over the speed limit like everyone else.
I find these two comments to be in conflict with each other. :) On one hand, you admonish the OP for "street racing" and then turn around and advocate for intentionally breaking the law by speeding.

I don't think the OP was street racing and its unclear if anybody else was in his vicinty or on the road with him. I'm not even sure what he did was illegal since there is not enough information - perhaps reckless driving since he broke traction? - probably not.

I think you are rationalizing why it is ok for you to break the law because "everyone else does it" while turning around and poking the OP in the eye. Just saying.

I have no issue with what the guy is doing as long as it is not putting someone else at risk. Many of us probably learned something from his post. After some research on oversteer, I know I did. I thought this was a good article: A driver's guide to oversteer | drivingfast.net

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
@BGB, would you be willing to elaborate on your alignment recommendations? I did zero up front and just a tad in in the rear. Car is tail happy, especially on the street where pavement is uneven or tires are cold and wet. It actually is pretty good at the track in dry when I am paying attention.

T

·
Registered
222 Posts
I find these two comments to be in conflict with each other. :) On one hand, you admonish the OP for "street racing" and then turn around and advocate for intentionally breaking the law by speeding.

I don't think the OP was street racing and its unclear if anybody else was in his vicinty or on the road with him. I'm not even sure what he did was illegal since there is not enough information - perhaps reckless driving since he broke traction? - probably not.

I think you are rationalizing why it is ok for you to break the law because "everyone else does it" while turning around and poking the OP in the eye. Just saying.

I have no issue with what the guy is doing as long as it is not putting someone else at risk. Many of us probably learned something from his post. After some research on oversteer, I know I did. I thought this was a good article: A driver's guide to oversteer | drivingfast.net

:cheers:
I'm not sure I completely agree with this. Executing a maneuver on a public street (regardless of the known traffic conditions) and lacking the confidence to determine the outcome is reckless. If for no other reason, it could put the driver in harm's way. If you didn't expect the tail to come around so quick, who's to say that the car might not have pushed hard and ended up crashing under different circumstances. Setting the cruise control to 9mph over the speed limit is a controllable condition with a known outcome. After all, a law that places the majority of the population out of compliance should at least come into question. After all, I don't think you're any more dead from a head-on collision at 79mph as you are at 70mph.

Admittedly, I tried the exact same thing back when I was in my early 20s. It certainly wasn't the smartest thing I did that day and I was lucky that I didn't hit anything or anyone. I'm all for knowing the limits of your car and understanding how to negotiate certain situations. However, I might have found an empty parking lot or something a little more controlled to test the car with PSM deactivated.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts