Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 20inch Pirelli P zeros on my car.
Thread still ok. Mileage now 8000 kms.

Wanted to know how long will they last.

I drive reasonably well, very rare spirited runs and no track.

Also when these need replacing, what are the best replacements for everyday use and good threadwear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts

Also when these need replacing, what are the best replacements for everyday use and good threadwear?

Everybody drives differently. Spirited to one might mean babying to some one else. There are numerous posts on here regarding longevity and suggested replacements. You might want to post in those threads.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everybody drives differently. Spirited to one might mean babying to some one else. There are numerous posts on here regarding longevity and suggested replacements. You might want to post in those threads.
Couldn't find anything relevant to normal daily driver.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't know of a way to estimate how many kms you have left other than to measure the tread depth you have now and compare it to a fresh P zero. You'll want to measure at a few places to allow for uneven wear.

On average you would expect to get longer wear in light street driving from all season tires. Those tires tend to have harder compounds and are designed with a greater priority on tread wear and noise levels.

If you don't drive the car in a very sporty manner, then maybe summer performance tires are not the right choice for you?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
For 20 inch wheels in this size, all 'recommended' or 'available' tires are high performance sticky sporty summer tires. They are in a sense for the streets and not 'track tires,' but the assumption is you bought a sports car and want sports tires.

I sized up a different 'not standard' size to get Continental ExtremeContact DW. While still labeled high performance summer tires, they have softer sidewall than others and tread design is less noise/ less rolling resistance. Make good 'daily driver tires.' You can also get other 'all season tires' if you change to a 'non-stock' size...which is honestly okay to do (lots of variance on what actually goes on the stock wheels verses what the 'recommended' stock tire size is).

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts

The p-Zeros are the only n-spec summer tire sold for the 911. There is no other choice. In fact, tirerack only list MPSS as the only other tire in the correct sizes. I've been reading about tires for a year and the street word seems to be the Pirillis are lasting much longer than originally thought back in 2012. Some are getting 15 - 20K miles. The overwhelming choice seems to be to replace with the Michelins.

BTW, the Boxster/Cayman answers have no relevance to your car. The sizes are different and the wear pattern is different. Some 911 owners are just getting a second set of rear tires and when the fronts are gone, then get 4 MPSS. I think fewer, but some are going with the Pirillis a second round. Google it.

In no case would I ever get all -season tires on a 911. That would be just a cardinal sin.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts

Tron,

Here is some info I have been keeping. Unfortunately I lost data :( I had taken after 1 yr.
LG is as noted on sig line; 3/4ths of the miles are local and 1/4 are TP/IntState; Former is about a 50/50 mix of spirited (by myself :hilarious:) driving and other around town errands, etc. with the Mrs.

LG's Pirelli P0's Summer============On Delivery====================11,135 miles (2 yrs)

Tread Depth in 32nds -------------------NEW-----PA In Spec Min---- ---------------------Measured----Remaining

235x35x10-----F--------------------------10-------------2--------------------------------------8------------75%
265x35x10-----R---------------------------9-------------2-------------------------------------4+-----------35+%

I hope to get another season out of rears, but who knows. My SA says 16-18K is typical and good mileage for "rears" if you are doing normal road driving with overall moderation ;) (no track/autoX).

Staying with a summer type which is all that I am interested in since I hibernate LG for her ~5 winter months, Pirelli P0s and Michelin Super Sports are about the most popular options - maybe only ones in 20"s. But latter are not N rated but that personally makes no difference as they are still Y rated. Michelins should have better wear characteristics.

As others have noted if you really do not care about a "summer" type tire then an "all season" will certainly give you better wear but of course less traction on those wet and also spirited drives.

:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Rob, that really good info for the 981 but probably useless for TRON. You all got to remember he has a 911.

The tires sizes are different, the wear patterns are different (much more weight on the rears), and the running pressures are MUCH different. for example, the 981 comfort pressures are what? 30/30? And standard 33/33? For the 911 Standard is 36/44 and comfort is like 32/36 (I forget) ... much different.

Just saying, apples to oranges :)

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Rob, that really good info for the 981 but probably useless for TRON. You all got to remember he has a 911.

The tires sizes are different, the wear patterns are different (much more weight on the rears), and the running pressures are MUCH different. for example, the 981 comfort pressures are what? 30/30? And standard 33/33? For the 911 Standard is 36/44 and comfort is like 32/36 (I forget) ... much different.

Just saying, apples to oranges :)
Chow,

I agree and your post was underway while I was doing mine; Thought about deleting my post. I hope Tron can assess differences.

But then I though maybe someone with a 981 will get here by hit and miss searching and find info useful for a 70+ year old driver's tire usage. :hilarious:

:cheers:

Reactions: chows4us
1 - 10 of 10 Posts