Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, long time no post. Been too busy at work to spend as much time as I'd like on the forums, and the car had been trouble-free up 'til now. I noticed over the last few weeks (months? I've not been driving the car much, especially with the cold weather) that my 2006 Cayman S seemed to be consuming a bit more oil than it should, but I wasn't 100% on that as I had been only driving it either at AutoX or running it at pace through the mountains, where I expect a bit of oil loss. In any case, after topping it off recently and then going for a drive, it just seemed to be beyond the acceptable amount used, so I took it to my local indy Porsche shop, who have cared for it most of the time I have owned it. Just heard back from the shop: the Air Oil Seperator has failed. Again. Truth be told, I was fearing something worse, as I first replaced the AOS sometime in early 2013 at around 85K miles. The car has 100K now, which is why I didn't think that part would have failed again. As Porsche repairs go, it is relatively inexpensive, but it seems unreasonable that a car which isn't tracked or subjected to driving stress beyond a few AutoX events each year or a mountain run would need another AOS so soon. But there it is.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean where was my oil level as indicated by the oil level display? If so, I try to keep it between right in the middle of the range and slightly above that--so up to, but not over, the 3rd bar from the bottom of the indicator. I usually won't add oil if I'm just doing normal driving unless it drops below the lower bar. I've seen plenty of times where, on a cold morning, it reads low, but if I idle the car up to temperature and then shut it off and check it again, the oil level reads right where it should. Also, I have the FVD Brombacher X-51 style oil pan, which gives me a small margin of safety with ~0.5 liter extra oil capacity, enough for my purposes. Before I took it in I tried to get it right in the middle of the range by adding a little bit of oil, checking, adding, more, etc. It just dropped back down below the middle of range sooner than I thought it should. The last time I added oil before taking it to the shop it also smoked more than the typical "you just topped off the oil" start-up smoke. Normal starts are smoke-free.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts