Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I did not read the details of past posts properly, but around here (Atlanta) - the discount is a big goose egg...zero, nada, zilch.

Demand is high, allocations are hard to come by.

I was planning to try to get a 5% off MSRP, nope. Have to rethink my options list now.

On the plus side, I test drove a manual + X73 + PTV = flipping amazing combination - a car for all the senses.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
The deals are not very deep, and as you found out, very dealer dependent. 5% though is hard to come by as I understand it. And allocations are tight, again, as I understand it. maybe very tight in your area ?? Good idea about searching US wide --- because very nice cars do pop up unexpectedly. For example, after I signed for my build, with delivery way-out calendar wise, my dealer had a very nice GTS with everything I wanted, but it was GT-Silver and 18-way seats, which I didn't want. But I could have had it 3 months ago. So, do the "anywhere" search as see what your options are.

D

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a tool to search the nation that is granular enough to find specific options like X73, manual, PTV ?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Is there a tool to search the nation that is granular enough to find specific options like X73, manual, PTV ?
In our experience looking during most of the month of Jan and early Feb, the answer is unfortunately no. Or not available to us mortals, I imagine dealers have access to this but you may be hard pressed to get your local dealer to help you find your car elsewhere in the country and disclose exactly where without a commitment to a purchase/trade locally. Honestly, can't blame them.

There are only (??) about 200 dealers in the country, so searching through the inventory for something as relatively limited in inventory quantity as a GTS isn't really that hard. You can do it in a day easily and cover most or all of them. This is even easier if you have honestly narrowed it down to a particular color and key must-haves, but we also found that in most cases we would find something added/modded in order that we couldn't imagine. We started out in geographic regions close to us, family or places I travel for work and radiated out from there. Coincidentally in early Feb found the car we wanted in a location I was traveling to in a week! The real challenge is if you don't find it first pass, there is no easier process second time through.

As to availability and pricing it seemed the on-lot inventory in many areas we looked was gone or a single unit. I'm not sure that's going to help with pricing in spite of the model being out a while. In our search it wasn't helpful to either stocked or ordered cars with the discounts nowhere near the -10% dream we were chasing. More like 3-5% on orders, 4-7% on stock. Ended up around 5.5%, not great but to me it wasn't worth chasing the extra $1500 to score that masterful deal. If I really wanted a bargain I wouldn't have been buying a car new to begin with. Certainly not THIS car!

Happy hunting!

edit - in mid Feb we spoke with a local dealer who I actually trust about ordering and one of the things propping up the price was that there was only ~6 GTS allocations still available in the country at that time for 2015. I'm not certain this is completely accurate and that there's not a way to tweak that, but his implication was they'd have to swap out something else to be able to get one of those at this point, or just wait for a '16. This did NOT help with pricing and he knew when we last talked I was on the way to the airport and buying a car that day. The wait wouldn't have been a big deal, but if the car is still selling this well I wasn't optimistic about the deals getting dramatically better and didn't really want to wait 6 months for the same deal rather than driving the car. Call me crazy.

Also have followed the pre-owned locator on the off chance of scoring one there that met our specs. Since November there has never been more than 5 in the country at dealers, and usually 2-3. Most of them white.....

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I'm reminded of when I start actually looking to buy. The GTS hadn't hit the streets yet so all I had to go on was info people posted here about base and S models, and then mostly for US dealers. I went out expecting to score a 7 or 8% discount without too much hassle. Man, did I ever hit reality hard like a brick wall!! :D

Ultimately, what I've found is that the pricing seems to be extremely regional. Even here in Canada, there seems to be no discounts at all on the west coast while you can wrangle yourself a few percent off as you go east.

As always, you should be able to do better with a car sitting on a lot than you can with a custom order. Dealers want to move those first more than anything.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I had one dealer offer 5% of for a GTS order. Another dealer is offering me 3% off on a GTS order that also includes a guaranteed #1 slot for a custom order 2017 GT4 at MSRP, expected late 2016. GTS still are not in oversupply, and probably never will be. The included options are very nice and a bargain in the base MSRP. I would love one with my added option wish list. The factory tweaked and ported and polished engine upgrade is nice to have too.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
" Is there a tool to search the nation that is granular enough to find specific options like X73, manual, PTV
? "

Google Search is probably the only tool smart enough to do that if you design the search right.

BTW, with ur Avotar, u'd be getting a lot of PMs if ur user name was Monkeygirl instead of Monkeyboy. LOLs!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found a place thru TrueCar, about 300 miles away....just via email they committed to 3.25% off MSRP on any 'on the lot' or customer ordered GTSs. I am happy with that, will see if a local dealer may match - but it helps.
I will be ready to put down money in a few weeks, will see who moves most when they see cash (dirty animals).

(and don't stare too long at my avatar...you'll go blind)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Maybe I did not read the details of past posts properly, but around here (Atlanta) - the discount is a big goose egg...zero, nada, zilch.

Demand is high, allocations are hard to come by.

I was planning to try to get a 5% off MSRP, nope. Have to rethink my options list now.

On the plus side, I test drove a manual + X73 + PTV = flipping amazing combination - a car for all the senses.
I am also in Atlanta and was in the same boat as you. My advice would be to not even think about Jim Ellis. They offered me NOTHING on a GTS (MSRP or you walk out the door) and only $1000 off on an S. I went across town to Hennessy and they gave me $3000 off on an S with no haggling at all. I probably could have asked for more, but after getting completely shut down at Jim Ellis I made a conservative offer.

Ordering out of state is an option, but more of a pain. I chose to stay local, personally.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am also in Atlanta and was in the same boat as you. My advice would be to not even think about Jim Ellis. They offered me NOTHING on a GTS (MSRP or you walk out the door) and only $1000 off on an S. I went across town to Hennessy and they gave me $3000 off on an S with no haggling at all. I probably could have asked for more, but after getting completely shut down at Jim Ellis I made a conservative offer.

Ordering out of state is an option, but more of a pain. I chose to stay local, personally.
That is almost funny, I was at Hennessy and they offered zero off of MSRP...said 'maybe a little bit' to win your business. I try to be upfront and honest, I am fine with dealers making a reasonable profit - but I really do not care to play the game of shopping for a good deal, then pitting dealers against each other...but it appears this is the only way they will become reasonable.
I guess that is OK, if demand is this high - there do not need to deal. Maybe that's Atlanta - lots of $$ floating around, so they do not need to be so competitive.

Did you order yet or still considering? two for one deal? maybe we'll get a bigger discount - haha

·
Registered
529 Posts
That is almost funny, I was at Hennessy and they offered zero off of MSRP...said 'maybe a little bit' to win your business. I try to be upfront and honest, I am fine with dealers making a reasonable profit - but I really do not care to play the game of shopping for a good deal, then pitting dealers against each other...but it appears this is the only way they will become reasonable.
I guess that is OK, if demand is this high - there do not need to deal. Maybe that's Atlanta - lots of $$ floating around, so they do not need to be so competitive.

Did you order yet or still considering? two for one deal? maybe we'll get a bigger discount - haha
Yeah, after going to Jim Ellis first (Hennessy knew I was shopping around), I went to Hennessy and made an offer of $3k below MSRP on a custom ordered CS and they accepted. Here is what I ordered:

2015 Cayman S, Guards Red
Manual Transmission
Sports Suspension
Sport Seats Plus (2-way)
Sports Exhaust
PTV
20" Carrera S wheels with colored crests
Convenience package with ventilated seats
Bose Stereo

As a side note, I was told at Jim Ellis that they only have an allocation for *ONE* custom ordered CS and CGTS per month through this spring. That number seemed strikingly low to me, but that's what they said. I think for that reason, they can be very stingy with their discounts on the custom ordered cars.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
great setup!
Did you test drive Cayman S vs GTS? I took out the white GTS at Hennessy a few days ago - it has Sport Suspension, Manual, and PTV...blew my mind - such a perfect setup IMO. I was really surprised how good the manual was in the GTS, clutch weight - snickity-ness of the shifter, length of throws - all spot on. Honestly, I was so impressed that emotionally - I would have backedup the money truck and given them whatever they asked for the car right then and there.

I am still between white or red, never had a white car - so am leaning that way right now...but red is tempting!

Everyone is limited on allocations it seems. Allocations are for the year and there is not an abundance of openings. It seems, once you plunk down money, they will work to take one for you.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hennessy had a white CS (PASM + 6MT) which had just come in about 3 weeks ago. I drove that one and had a similar reaction to yours. I later drove a CGTS (X73 + 6MT) at Jim Ellis. I'm used to stiff, responsive cars and to me the X73 was the obvious suspension to get. PASM felt fine, but I just wanted a little more of an edge.

As far as any power advantage, I didn't wring the cars out during the test drive so I can't comment on that. I suspect any difference in acceleration or power between the S and GTS would be minimal. One thing I can comment on though is I am NOT a fan of alcantara. I would definitely replace that with standard leather if I chose to get a CGTS.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
You could consider moving to Canada. :D They're over 10% cheaper up here when you consider the currency conversion. :D

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
You could consider moving to Canada. :D They're over 10% cheaper up here when you consider the currency conversion. :D
Yeah, but you can only drive it with the top down about 10 days a year......lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check out the Montgomery, Alabama, Porsche Dealer--Jack Ingram Motors- I got 5% off msrp w/o too much trouble at all. My salesman was Lin Williams-extremely honest,straightforward, no bull ****. Best salesman I've had in my 40 years of car buying. [Disclaimer: I live in Birmingham and other than buying my GTS from Jack Ingram Motors, I have no affiliation of any nature with them.]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here In Destin,FL they had a 2015 GTS listed at 82K with 3k miles. Demand is extremely high we talked them down quite a bit to $73,000 so I feel I got a good deal.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Here In Destin,FL they had a 2015 GTS listed at 82K with 3k miles. Demand is extremely high we talked them down quite a bit to $73,000 so I feel I got a good deal.
Congrats on a good find. That's a pretty lightly optioned GTS apparently, curious to see how the ones fully loaded hold up over first year or so. Not that I plan to sell mine....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts