Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
23,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

by: chapmanmi

Description: I bought these wheels and tyres for my 987 Boxster S because I did a track evening at Silverstone on the standard tyres and wasn't happy with the handling (no PASM).The tyres weren’t new but I was dismayed that after one evening of track use the existing tyres were below the legal limit on the outside edges. I thought “this track day malarkey might be quite expensive”. After much research & deliberation I decided to bite the bullet and buy a dedicated set of wheels & tyres for track day use, with a trolley jack and torque wrench you can change all wheels in 30 min! Track day tyres like the TOYO R888 are designed to wear better on the outside edges so I have been told you can get a dozen or more track days out of a set of tyres vs maybe 4 days out of a standard set of tyres. I haven't put this to the test but initial results are encouraging. The difference in grip is unbelievable, its not far off driving with slicks, it transformed my Boxster S from a sports car to a racer. I have now sold the car and bought a 997 4S. The 997 rear wheels need to be 1 1/2" wider so these will not fit on it. If I sell these I will be buying exactly the same setup for my 997. I only had a chance to have one track evening using the wheels and tyres. I wouldn’t recommend the tyres for everyday use as they are not reported to be great in the wet and I have heard you will only get ~5000 miles of normal road use. If you are planning to do more than a couple of track days then they will more than pay for themselves and you should have seen the face on the guy in the Ferrari 360 when I kept catching him through the corners!Sorry for the rambling advert, if you’re still with me then here are the facts: 4 wheels are a 19” 5 spoke triple spoke turbo style, wheels have anthracite inserts with a machine polished face and laquered finish. Tyres are 235/35 19 Front and 265/30 19 rear. Tyres and wheels are almost new with no visible marks at all and no sign of wear on the tyres, only used for one track evening! The wheels are balanced and tyres filled with nitrogen, this is common practice now to help stop the pressure increasing when the tyres heat up. I want £1200 for all 4 wheels and tyres or make me an offer. I have yet to find out how much it will cost to stick them on a pallet & ship (UK ONLY)

More...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts