Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still organizing my cayman S build (I seem to change my saved data on the porsche "build your own" website daily!), and one of the final options that I originally thought I needed I'm beginning to waver on---LSD. It's basically the $--at about $1000 knocking it off my option list would help. From what I know of an LSD, it's very helpful for track use, but I wouldn't be in a situation really where I'd need it under normal daily driving. My S2000 has one, but since I've never tracked the car, I don't think I've needed it either. I would like to track the CS, but to be realistic that would probably only be like 1 time/year, so you can maybe see my dilemma.
What advice do you all have?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Toss up. If I wasn't going to track the car I'd save the money as $1000 can buy some nice toys I'd get use out of. At street safe speeds the car handles fine without it.

The only reason I'd consider it is it might add to the re-sale value. Then again it is just another thing to break and from what I've read that LSD is not all that robust for track use either.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toss up. If I wasn't going to track the car I'd save the money as $1000 can buy some nice toys I'd get use out of. At street safe speeds the car handles fine without it.

The only reason I'd consider it is it might add to the re-sale value. Then again it is just another thing to break and from what I've read that LSD is not all that robust for track use either.
Thanks for the opinion---I'll be leasing so that's why I'm even further questioning my initial intention to get the LSD

Can someone with track time under their belt using a LSD equipped cayman s give insight on the circumstances where the LSD is beneficial on the track?

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I'm still organizing my cayman S build (I seem to change my saved data on the porsche "build your own" website daily!), and one of the final options that I originally thought I needed I'm beginning to waver on---LSD. It's basically the $--at about $1000 knocking it off my option list would help. From what I know of an LSD, it's very helpful for track use, but I wouldn't be in a situation really where I'd need it under normal daily driving. My S2000 has one, but since I've never tracked the car, I don't think I've needed it either. I would like to track the CS, but to be realistic that would probably only be like 1 time/year, so you can maybe see my dilemma.
What advice do you all have?
If you think that you are going to do track events then you want the LSD. This is an option that serious Sports Car types want. You do not need it for the street. A Cayman on the track without LSD will spin one of its rear wheels exiting conners, there by loosing traction and speed. Hope this helps in your decision.:)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Your insurance and lease terms very likely do not cover track events anyway. Porsche doesn't cover them in the warranty. As noted above whatever you put in will have little re-sale value.

There are explanations and pictures one can find via google showing how the forces during turns put more force on the outside tire vs inside tire, and how this can lead to one wheel losing traction before the other. Without the LSD the power would just be lost then and transferred to the free spinning wheel. There are different kinds of LSDs but the key value is that even when a wheel looses traction power can still be delivered via the other wheel that has traction.

However that's a condition most of us don't experience on the streets. Driving your car to the limits of tire adhesion on the streets is likely due to a driver being reckless. Public roads are often covered in thin layers of leaked oil, anti-freeze, other leaked fluids; gravel; water run off; etc. tire adhesion on public roads can suddenly go very very wrong on public streets. Like the kind of wrong where both tires are sliding and the car is out of control. I love my Cayman but the reality is it has a lot of potential I don't use on the streets because that kind of driving belongs at the race track.

Drive carefully and enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your insurance and lease terms very likely do not cover track events anyway. Porsche doesn't cover them in the warranty.
Good point, something I hadn't thought much of.
So with any Porsche still under warranty (regardless of it being leased vs. purchased via loan or cash), NOTHING is covered under warranty if the car has been tracked?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
FWIW, you can notice the difference between a car that has a LSD/TBD and another car that does not have a LSD/TBD even on regular street driving.

Case in point, last year I had both my 2008 Cayman S with the Quaife TBD and my bone stock 2006 Boxster S, driving them back to back in normal street driving you could tell the difference. When doing simple things like making an U-turn taking a sharp left/right turns the Cayman rotated quicker than the Boxster.

Back when I purchased the 06 Boxster S I could tell that the car did not have an LSD by just comparing it to my 97 NSX.

To the OP, wether or not to get the LSD depends on what type/kind of driving you do, if you mostly drive on the streets and never go and hit the track or the twisties then you probably won't miss the LSD.

·
Northeast Member
751 Posts
See this thread:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-competition/44005-cayman-factory-lsd-dissected.html

If you are leasing, or selling in a short time, it is always much better to get mostly a stripper. Porsche options don't add to resale / residual value much.

Options do add to residual. Options carry the same value toward residual as the car itself does. The residual is a percentage of the MSRP, so adding options to a car you intend to lease does offset the total cost of the option.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Good point, something I hadn't thought much of.
So with any Porsche still under warranty (regardless of it being leased vs. purchased via loan or cash), NOTHING is covered under warranty if the car has been tracked?
Porsche's warranty seems to read that nothing is covered if it breaks during a track/DE event even if it is a Porsche sponsored event. I don't think they mean the warranty is voided forever after, just damage during the event. But hey, they might have a different interpretation.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Get the LSD. Unless you drive like an old woman you will most definitely feel its effects in street driving. AND - something that hasn't been mentioned yet - especially on a wet road. It does rain in FL. LSD shines when the driving surface is slick.

In fact, with only 22/27 lockup, that is not going to be nearly as effective on the track as a proper LSD like 80/20 or at least 60/40 as are found on factory ZF diffs in past models. If you want a proper track LSD for a new Cayman, look to an aftermarket Guard or Quaife unit. The factory LSD option was clearly designed primarily with street use in mind.

Some options have a lot of value at resale (PDK, SC, full leather to name a few), some not so much (leather seat belt receptacles, leather coat hooks, fire extinguisher).

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If you want a proper track LSD for a new Cayman, look to an aftermarket Guard or Quaife unit. The factory LSD option was clearly designed primarily with street use in mind.
Are the aftermarket guys making LSD's for the 2009-2012 cars in both 6-speed and PDK? Just wondered if they needed to build a different size unit? And if the aftermarket guys even bothered for Gen II cars since Porsche offers one?

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,661 Posts
The factory LSd is worthless on the track. A few events & it will need to be rebuilt. Proper sway bars will help with the potential rear wheel lift.

I have a guard set at 40/60 now with the turbo and it is very nice with the extra torque but an LSD would be one of the last mods I'd do on a normally asperated car.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Get the LSD. Unless you drive like an old woman you will most definitely feel its effects in street driving. AND - something that hasn't been mentioned yet - especially on a wet road. It does rain in FL. LSD shines when the driving surface is slick.

In fact, with only 22/27 lockup, that is not going to be nearly as effective on the track as a proper LSD like 80/20 or at least 60/40 as are found on factory ZF diffs in past models. If you want a proper track LSD for a new Cayman, look to an aftermarket Guard or Quaife unit. The factory LSD option was clearly designed primarily with street use in mind.

Some options have a lot of value at resale (PDK, SC, full leather to name a few), some not so much (leather seat belt receptacles, leather coat hooks, fire extinguisher).
Sensible post regarding factory LSD.

I haven't yet tracked my LSD equipped croc in 7 months of ownership, but virtually every time I go driving, the factory LSD comes in handy. Luckily I regularly drive twisty mountian roads while getting good use from the LSD. Would have been a MAJOR disappointment if I hadn't optioned LSD. I highly recommend LSD for the street, I think Porsche got it right for the street, might be a different story for the track.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I just got a 2.7 5 spd for use a DD in the mountains and back roads of northern NY. I have been very concerned about the LSD thing but figured I should drive the car more before I go for a Guard unit (or do it at all). My needs are for snow covered, wet and cold weather commutes with lots of curves and hills. I have been turning off the PSM and hitting the gas on loose surfaces, at different speeds, to find both rears digging pretty well. My car has 18's and I just got some 17's that I will mount up the skinniest snows I can find. I have read past posts about winter driving but now that I actually have a car, I'm pleasantly surprised how much this diff is hooked up. Is this an illusion? Will reality hit when it gets cold and wet... or snowy? If I'm fooling myself, I would rather install the diff now. Thanks, C.

·
Caymudgeon
711 Posts

I would echo this response - If you want an LSD for the street, go for the factory option. If you want an LSD for track, you really need to go for an after-market unit.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
...In fact, with only 22/27 lockup, that is not going to be nearly as effective on the track as a proper LSD like 80/20 or at least 60/40 as are found on factory ZF diffs in past models. If you want a proper track LSD for a new Cayman, look to an aftermarket Guard or Quaife unit. The factory LSD option was clearly designed primarily with street use in mind...
Are the aftermarket guys making LSD's for the 2009-2012 cars in both 6-speed and PDK? Just wondered if they needed to build a different size unit? And if the aftermarket guys even bothered for Gen II cars since Porsche offers one?
I would echo this response - If you want an LSD for the street, go for the factory option. If you want an LSD for track, you really need to go for an after-market unit.
I'm 99% confident that there isn't an aftermarket unit available for PDK equipped cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.