Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just ordered the Tarett underdrive pulley (Tarett 987 pulley) and apparently it does not come with one of the pulley install tools like the other kits do. (or, anyone know if I'm wrong about this??)

Does anyone have one of these tools they would lend me? I'd pay or postage and return, or pay it forward to the next guy, your choice!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I bought a UD pulley for my old 996 and ended up having an Indie put it on for me because I didn't get that tool as well. All they did was insert the pin thru the pulley into the block that I believe locks it at TDC and loosened it from there. I kind of cringed watching him do it because I had been told that would work but it seemed sketchy to me. It worked fine and the mechanic told me he's done a bunch of them that way. FWIW

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That works fine for removing the original and I plan to do that as well, but you need a locking lever to properly install / torque the new one, otherwise you're working against belt tension.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Asking one more time before I try to improvise this... anyone have an pulley install tool hanging around? Please msg me if so!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spending $50+ on a tool I'll use 1 time seems like the opposite of asking if anyone will let me use theirs. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I purchased my underdrive pulley from RSS, and it came with an installation tool. Attached photo shows the tool after I used it to hold the pulley and crankshaft while torqueing the crankshaft bolt. You can see how the bar bent/twisted where the two bolts attached. I think a homemade tool would be easy to make for considerably less than $50, and would work at least as well.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts