Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This afternoon I received a phone call saying that they noticed there was oil leakage; very minor. :eek:

He asked for my opinion if I want to ignore it or fix it (since the man-hour is high)... of course I said FIX IT :( as the last thing I need is to have an engine failure after installing the turbo. When I asked him about the cause, he said it could be a normal tear-and-wear.

Now, I decided to change the gaskets for all cylinders instead of one as a precautionary measure. And since the dealer ran out of such spare part, I decided to order it online myself.

My questions:
1) What is the exact gasket name I should be looking for online to buy?
2) Are there like heavy duty motorsport turbo kind of thing to be used instead of the stock?
3) If so, what is the name, brand and website?
4) If not, which website I can find the best prices for stock?
5) Any other stuff or gaskets I should consider changing for endurance and reliability?

It is true that this is the last thing I need to add to the cost or delay for the matter... but I feel blessed for I got to find out about before it is too late.

Ken & Casey... your opinion / advice are very important to me along with all the expert gentlemen on this forum. :helpme:

------ EDITED

It turned out the it was a coolant leakage from the pump and the gaskets... as explained later in the thread.

-------

·
Premium Member
981CaymanS
665 Posts
Now, I decided to change the gaskets for all cylinders instead of one as a precautionary measure. And since the dealer ran out of such spare part, I decided to order it online myself.

My questions:
1) What is the exact gasket name I should be looking for online to buy?
2) Are there like heavy duty motorsport turbo kind of thing to be used instead of the stock?
3) If so, what is the name, brand and website?
Hassan, you may want to check with Reinz,
They have very good reputation with their head gaskets
REINZ Dichtungs GmbH -
Good luck!
PS, Are you talking about head Gasket or Valve cover gaskets..? (...big difference)

·
On Probation
582 Posts
use a little care here...this can go bad....if something happens they [car dealer,aftermarket people] can point at each other and shift the blame. imho the only people you should ask is provider and installer

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
You dont have to remove the engine. Please have your installer call us immediately. The instructions dont say to remove the engine. If there are oil leaks have them cover it under warranty, there is no reason for you to have to pay for this. Could you get pictures of the leaks for us?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's a 2006 model, bought early 2007... the three year warranty expired last month! As for the leak situation... tomorrow we'll hear back about it!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I owe you guys an update... but before anything I'd like to thank you all along with Mike & Casey... both of them contacted me immediately (in a matter of few minutes) after emailing them. And what really warmed my heart was how concerned they both were... and their expectation was right. For some reason there was a misunderstanding as I quote below part of the email I received this morning:

"There are Signs of Minor Coolant Leak (Not Oil) from the Cylinder Heads (Both Sides) and My Team Believe that Since the Engine is down, it is recommended to Change the gaskets to avoid any Future Problems after Installing the Kit. In Addition, we noticed Signs of Coolant Leak from the Water Pump and we recommend replacing it as Well."

I left the matter in the hands of TPC to decide where from and what to buy... as the dealer doesn't have the spare parts.

Yes I am a bit frustrated for the ongoing struggle, increasing ridiculous cost and unforeseen delays... yet, I feel blessed.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
sorry boss but cost and delays are part of life when the car goes under the knife

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
933 Posts
It sounds like everything is being well-handled and though there may be a delay, the car will be right in the end.

Best of luck with the rest of the install!

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
If you have a leaky head gasket now, adding a turbo is only going to make it worse, so I'm pretty sure Mike/Casey will concur with me that you ought to get that fixed. As for the water pump the Porsche water pumps have been known to weep from the inspection hole from time to time and that's considered "normal" but if this is something beyond that then yes you'd want your water pump replaced as well as you certainly don't want to have a lack of coolant moving through your system with a turbo onboard.

I also concur tha delays and cost overruns are common when a car goes under the knife...

·
On Probation
582 Posts
if dealer doesnt have some of your parts in stock they might not be able to check the heads. how many miles are on this motor ? you might start looking for a machine shop that can surface the heads if needed .check with your turbo people about how much or if you can "deck" the heads....a bump in compression is an awful lot of power....if you have the heads off now is the time for porting,polishing,bench flow checking....while the motors out how about lwfw,udp,clutch......did i mention cost and delay...on track ? yeah. on track to the poer house

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if dealer doesnt have some of your parts in stock they might not be able to check the heads. how many miles are on this motor ? you might start looking for a machine shop that can surface the heads if needed .check with your turbo people about how much or if you can "deck" the heads....a bump in compression is an awful lot of power....if you have the heads off now is the time for porting,polishing,bench flow checking....while the motors out how about lwfw,udp,clutch......did i mention cost and delay...on track ? yeah. on track to the poer house
Thank you for your feedback.

The dealer has none of the parts, he needs to order it from Germany. Therefore I decided to get it from the States instead (faster). I included a copy of the list.

And I agree with you and Ken... You are bringing now more painful ugly (but could be realistic) facts. :eek: I'll wait to hear from TPC. I am going 100% with whatever Mike decides. It's his call.

And oh yeah, very well put... going under the knife is definitely painful :( but I am sure it would be later more reliable.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
extanker said:
how many miles on this car ? IMS bearing been upgraded ?
The car has 46000 km (not mile).
Sorry I didn't understand the 2nd question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
On Probation
582 Posts
there is roller bearing that supports a shaft that reportedly will/can/may fail...leading to the motor grenading

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.