Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of these was parked outside my building today and it's obvious to me that in typical Japanese fashion Toyota copied the look of another manufacturer - in this case Porsche.

If the new Boxster looks like the MR2 it's because the MR2 stole the styling from the previous Boxster first!

The MR2 designers should be ashamed of themselves for copying Porsche. Not the other way around.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
MR2 Spyder is a very cool little car if you ask me.

Toyota also made a pretty good copy of a Fiat X1/9 with the Mk1 MR2.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Years ago, when I got my first Boxster, my wife spotted an MR2 and said, "Oh, there's a Boxster . . . just like yours." :( My wife never has been into cars. :kiss:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Its funny because 80% of the public don't know enough about cars to tell the 3rd gen Mr2 from the brand new Boxster. They'll see the square headlights, the side door air scoop, and the fact that its a convertible and that's as far as there eye goes.

So for the people that don't know cars, they'll get it wrong, but who cares...they get everything that isn't a Corvette wrong anyway ;)

I saw a story on the Facebook IOP where they said the average employee would be worth 3 million dollars by the end of the weekend. What I found shocking was the corporate culture, and the kind of people that work there, I heard a few remark- "none of us are planning to run out and buy exotic cars... that's not the"in thing" any more :(

·
Registered
26 Posts

The original prototype of the first gen MR2 was part of a joint venture between toyota and lotus. They have had quite a long standing relationship which is why the new elise has a toyota engine and transmission. The 3rd gen MR2 was discontinued in 2005 when the first elise was sold on US shores.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

Don't forget that Toyota also made a pretty good copy of a Ferrari from 1990–1999. I love roadster but I never considered purchasing a Toyota MR2 Spyder. Technically it was a great car as it's reliable with go cart handling; however, the styling was so derivative, it looked like a Porsche Boxster, but in a goofy kind of way, so it would be a little too embarrassed for me to be seen in one.

Looking at the Boxster 981 I cannot find any Toyota's designs it it. However, I saw many Porsche's designs in the MR2 spyder.

I think the styling of the 981 is great and I back what I said by buying one ;) :dance::banana::cheers:.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Drive the new Boxter, and you will forget any possible comparison with an MR2. I spent the weekend at Barber Motorsports Park with the Porsche Driving School (long story), and the autocross car was a 981 Boxter PDK. Fantastic. Can't wait to see how the Cayman looks.....

The folks at PCNA have some creative graphic schemes for the press cars too.....

View attachment 24147

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was never embarrased to be seen in my Mr2. It was a couple of tweaks short of being an Elise beater. They should have never fitted PAS, it didn't need it, and was over assisted. But it did need the 190hp engine as the chassis was way too competant to make do with 140. Have to admit, I might have to try and pick up another... I miss that car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Was never ashamed of mine either lol :) It was a great little car that got a lot of compliments, and was a blast to drive! I was able to dig up a few pics off my old PC from when I was trading her in. My son will be driving in a few years, half tempted to pick one up again for him.

I had several X1/9's that got me hooked onto mid-rear cars, quite fun, but horribly unreliable :) Ahh, found a pic of one my daily driver Fiat too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts