Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So there are a couple shots of the car. Let me give you a short version of the history of this vehicle.

All of the following is true to the best of my knowledge.

This car was originally 1984 911. The original owner had big goals in mind. He was looking to build a car to beat Yellowbird. Him along with those knowledgeable of this car would say he did just that. Back in the mid and late 80s this car transformed into an extensive RUF enhanced machine. Both cosmetically and mechanically. Some of which included, Front and Rear diffuser, Wheels, 5speed Trans, Suspension, Brakes, Motor, Steering Wheel, Shift Knob, and more.

The car ran beautifully for a short time(few years?), however, the owner, in what I can only imagine was a brief spout of madness, wanted more power. He upgraded the trans to a 6speed that Ruf had just came out with and was looking to throw on some bigger twin turbos.

At some point in stage 2 or stage 3 of upgrades on this vehicle, she fell into hard times. The owner laid his trust in someone and that trust was broken. The car was secretly parted out behind the owners back. Many key parts were sold, including wheels, seats, cam, crank, pistons and a few other parts. This shattered the hopes and dreams the owner had for his car and he stopped any and all progress on the car.

Fast forward a couple decades of the car basically sitting around without a motor, to today. The car is as you see it in pictures above...wheels, seats, and steering wheel replaced. Motorless...

This car seems to be known by very few, however let me share some fun facts with you before I ask for some opinions.

The original owner of this car was once the distributor for Ruf in the United States. He worked with Alois Ruf (Louis Ruf) to build this car.

This car was once driven by Stephan Roser, the man famously known for this Yellowbird Video

This car is featured in a book of the late 80's "The World's Fastest Cars"

So, I was curious what you guys think of this car? Ruf? Porsche? Gray Area?

·
Registered
2 Posts
IMO any Porsche 911 modified by Ruf in the USA is just that, a modified Porsche 911. To be a "true" Ruf then it must be a German built Ruf with the correct WMI. That being said, with the correct parts and provenance and documentation, I wouldn't have any qualms with a US modified 911 built to CTR or whatever specs if that's what you want, even if some consider it somewhat of a mongrel given the highly customized nature of your "typical" 1980s Ruf tuned 911.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
It's a beautiful car indeed, but with a sad history... I say unless you're willing to spend an arm and a leg at RUF to give it justice, stay away. There're collectors who'd restore it back.

The question is, are you up for it?

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
It's a beautiful car indeed, but with a sad history... I say unless you're willing to spend an arm and a leg at RUF to give it justice, stay away. There're collectors who'd restore it back.

The question is, are you up for it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts