Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm purchasing a Gen 2 997 and the only option that I really wanted that the car doesn't have is the Universal Audio Interface. I'm wondering if anyone has added this factory interface to their Gen 2 car and how difficult the install is ( if it's possible).

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm purchasing a Gen 2 997 and the only option that I really wanted that the car doesn't have is the Universal Audio Interface. I'm wondering if anyone has added this factory interface to their Gen 2 car and how difficult the install is ( if it's possible).
It is possible and can be done at the dealership. They actually have to remove the center console and wire the piece in to place. It should cost no more than $750 to have it done at your local dealer in a matter of a few hours.

We add these regularly, your local dealer should have them in stock.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is possible and can be done at the dealership. They actually have to remove the center console and wire the piece in to place. It should cost no more than $750 to have it done at your local dealer in a matter of a few hours.

We add these regularly, your local dealer should have them in stock.
Thanks Jason...I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
83 Posts
First of all, shame on Porsche for not making this standard equipment on all models. It is akin to not including a radio this day in age.

Second, $750 as a add-on is bloated. As an example, I added an aux input to my 2003 BMW 3er shortly after I bought it in 2003 for $32 in parts, and 20 minutes of my time (and a small drill bit). $750 strikes me as highway robbery (no pun intended).

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, shame on Porsche for not making this standard equipment on all models. It is akin to not including a radio this day in age.

Second, $750 as a add-on is bloated. As an example, I added an aux input to my 2003 BMW 3er shortly after I bought it in 2003 for $32 in parts, and 20 minutes of my time (and a small drill bit). $750 strikes me as highway robbery (no pun intended).
You're right, it is crazy that it's not standard, and the price for the adapter is nuts. I spent $200 for a factory ipod adapter for my E46 M3 ( installed it myself) a few years ago and thought that was high. The factory Porsche adapter must be around $400-500...

·
Registered
156 Posts
You're right, it is crazy that it's not standard, and the price for the adapter is nuts. I spent $200 for a factory ipod adapter for my E46 M3 ( installed it myself) a few years ago and thought that was high. The factory Porsche adapter must be around $400-500...
The piece will be standard on 2011 models moving forward. As will bluetooth and floor mats.

With regard to price, at least the unit fully integrates your Ipod with the touchscreen display. It is more than just a line in jack for your ipod or mp3 player.

·
Registered
156 Posts

$750 includes installation not just the part.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The piece will be standard on 2011 models moving forward. As will bluetooth and floor mats.

With regard to price, at least the unit fully integrates your Ipod with the touchscreen display. It is more than just a line in jack for your ipod or mp3 player.
Jason, do you know if it's a straight forward plug in once the console is removed ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Jason, do you know if it's a straight forward plug in once the console is removed ?
That I do not know. I know they have to run a couple of wires, just not sure if it is plug and play from there or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts