Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I shift into 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], I don’t get quite the same satisfying click that I get from all the other gears. It’s a subtle difference, but noticeable –more so before it’s warmed up. It feels as if the lever isn’t quite going in all the way. I assume the linkage (cables) could be adjusted, but I’m wondering if a different feel for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] is common to other 981s. With all the other gears, there is no question that the lever is fully home, but in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], it just feels like it needs to move another 1/8” or so.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I'll have to pay more attention to mine. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any sort of click at all. I feel as though mine just glides into gear like butter. It's possible I just got used to it though. I'll try to remember to pay more attention this weekend.

Maybe it's all but 2nd that aren't quite right? :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to pay more attention to mine. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any sort of click at all. I feel as though mine just glides into gear like butter. It's possible I just got used to it though. I'll try to remember to pay more attention this weekend.

Maybe it's all but 2nd that aren't quite right? :D
Maybe like chunky butter. :) It definitely slots into each gear like a precision machine. I can't help but smile with every shift other than 2nd. It's by far the best manual I've ever owned (especially after driving my Subaru for 3 months! But the 435 is close to the Boxster). 2nd on the Boxster is just a bit off of the perfection of the other gears.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Maybe like chunky butter. :) It definitely slots into each gear like a precision machine. I can't help but smile with every shift other than 2nd. It's by far the best manual I've ever owned (especially after driving my Subaru for 3 months! But the 435 is close to the Boxster). 2nd on the Boxster is just a bit off of the perfection of the other gears.
Mine is a precision machine for all 6 forward gears. Reverse still feels unnatural after 3 years :) But I don't start backwards from traffic lights anymore.:drivingskid:

Take it to the dealer, make them adjust cables.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
When I shift into 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], I don’t get quite the same satisfying click that I get from all the other gears. It’s a subtle difference, but noticeable –more so before it’s warmed up. It feels as if the lever isn’t quite going in all the way. I assume the linkage (cables) could be adjusted, but I’m wondering if a different feel for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] is common to other 981s. With all the other gears, there is no question that the lever is fully home, but in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], it just feels like it needs to move another 1/8” or so.
Thanks for heads up note JQ.

I will check LG come maybe early April (I hope?) once I get her out of hibernation. But now I can not remember what she sounded like or felt like from last November. But really it is like taking delivery again each Spring :dance: which is nice for me and compatible with my roadster usage wishes.

Please advise if Sun Motors does an adjustment.

:cheers:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Do you notice it when driving or even when just rowing through the gears without the engine on? Second gear often has different synchro setup (S2000 had triple synchro on 2nd, double on the other low gears; I don't know about the 981), so it might feel different while driving...

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
My experience is similar. 1 to 2 shift, at times, even feels like it there's a detent at the end of the throw.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The 1-2 shift on my Cayman GTS varies seemingly randomly... Sometimes it is fine and similar to other shifts, and sometimes it is clunky with a metallic sound as though something in the linkage is rubbing.

This coupled with some rattles that the car has makes me feel sometimes like I'm driving a really expensive clunker... I rented a cheap Kia Optima a few days ago, and it had zero rattles...

·
Registered
955 Posts
You know, now that I think about it, when I first got the Boxster, I sometimes had trouble getting quick shifts into second. I had to be a lot more deliberate about it than in the S2000. I think once I sold the S2000, I just got used to it, just like the soft brake pedal, so I don't notice it much anymore. Compared to the WRX, it shifts great!
:taunt:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Put on over 100 km's last night and just never noticed anything different about 2nd or anything at all that I'd remotely consider a "click" in any gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts