Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone here can help shed some light on a recurring issue I've been having with my '07 Cayman S. This issue first reared its ugly head about 3 months ago when it got very cold outside. When I would drive the car under hard acceleration, I would feel the engine losing power at the top of the RPM range. Over the course of the next few days, it would completely lose power at varying RPM ranges - one day it would lose power between 2k - 3k, the next day between 4500 - 5500, and the next day it wouldn't idle without stalling out. However, after it passed through those ranges, the engine would 'turn on' again and there would be a sharp jolt of acceleration. This was also accompanied by the CEL. Revving the engine would also give a hollow sound, with a bit of a 'pop' sound at the end.

The first time I brought it to the dealer for this issue, they diagnosed it as a bad MAF sensor, which they replaced. The car ran fine for a few weeks, but then the problem gradually started coming back and would get worse as the days progressed. The second time I brought it in, they diagnosed it as an issue with the oil separator, and replaced that as well. Car ran fine for a few weeks after that, but has recently started again. Bringing it to the dealer again this week, but just not confident in them finding the real root of the problem again.

If anyone has any thoughts on this issue, they would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

·
On Probation
582 Posts
are the same codes coming up ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, what are the CEL codes? If we knew that we might be able to help with more of a diagnosis because this problem doesn't sound like anything I've heard of around here before. Have you made any mods to your car, if so what are they?
The only mods done to the car are - Softronic Tune and Plenum and a Capristo Exhaust. I should also note that the exhaust valves have been stuck in the open position (awaiting a part from Capristo to remedy that) since before this issue started.

Coincidentally, I had the same exact issue with my 997S about 2 years ago, but replacing the MAF sensor fixed it, and it never happened again.

Gonna find out what fault codes are generated and post them up.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I brought the car to the dealer today to get this checked out again. Service rep called me this afternoon and said the MAF needs to be replaced again (was previously replaced in January). He told me that the plenum is causing the MAF to malfunction and that I should put it back to stock. Anyone find any merit in this?

He said that they can't replace it under warranty, as the 'plenum mod' is causing the issue... Anyone heard of any similar situations with the Softronic plenum?

Seems like an excuse to me by the dealer as this is the 3rd time it's been in for this issue with no resolution - I know Softronic mods are thoroughly tested and well proven, so I'm not putting a lot of faith into what the service rep is saying...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sounds like your MAF is oily, it does not need to be replaced!!! I have the SRP as well and have to clean my entire intake every 2000 miles or so. My car exhibits the exact same symptoms as yours and that's when I know its time to be cleaned. All it takes is a $7 can of CRC MAF cleaner and a can of brake/parts cleaner to take care of the rest of the intake. I've had to clean mine at least 12 times so far and it runs great immediately afterward. I run my engine oil a half quart low and this seems to help a little. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Sounds like your MAF is oily, it does not need to be replaced!!! I have the SRP as well and have to clean my entire intake every 2000 miles or so. My car exhibits the exact same symptoms as yours and that's when I know its time to be cleaned. All it takes is a $7 can of CRC MAF cleaner and a can of brake/parts cleaner to take care of the rest of the intake. I've had to clean mine at least 12 times so far and it runs great immediately afterward. I run my engine oil a half quart low and this seems to help a little. Good luck!
WOW that is an eye opener! :eek:

I got a confirmation from EVOMS that their V-Flow High Flow Air Induction System is not oily. Would that mean that I'd be immune from such mishap?

·
Vendor
1,025 Posts
The MAF's can get oil on them from air filters in either car since the aftermarket ones are coated with it and when cleaned are usually over oiled. Oil in the intake otherwise could only get into it from the separator and would do so stock or not. The intakes in the gen 1 cars usually will have some oil in them while the Gen 2 cars can drip out when removing the intake.

The MAF can be cleaned as described with the CRC cleaner or other electronics parts cleaner without oil in it.

The Softronic plenum also uses the stock air filter unless changed and the part is a factory one.

Best Regards,
Scott

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
I have the V flow and I take care to oil it with the min amount. After 3 years on the 06 car I never had any problem nor needed any MAF cleaning. [think Im saying this every week!]

However, I did find out that it is standard practice for Porsche dealer servicing to dismantle the Plenum/Throttle body connection and clean out the "Oil leaked from the VOS" :mad: . I wont say what I said to them, but you can imagine! :mad: . I have cleaned this myself when installing the various mods but certainly not every 2000 miles.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
However, I did find out that it is standard practice for Porsche dealer servicing to dismantle the Plenum/Throttle body connection and clean out the "Oil leaked from the VOS" :mad: .
Can anyone else confirm this? Sounds like my car IS the Ferrari I have always wanted. :hilarious:

·
Registered
303 Posts

why do our intakes puddle up with oil every 2000 miles?! having to clean it out 12 times is not something that sounds like normal maintenence to me... my maf apparently has crapped out (according to dealer) i did also find lots of oil when cleaning the maf which didn't look all that dirty when i sprayed it...

·
Registered
530 Posts
you might want to check on a failing O2 sensor. This would cause the types of issues you are seeing. I have had very similar ones too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
you might want to check on a failing O2 sensor. This would cause the types of issues you are seeing. I have had very similar ones too.

are the o2 sensors cheaper to replace than a MAF sensor? they plug into the headers i think? when i cleaned the MAF it looked ok to me (not overly dirty or anything) but the dealer insists its the MAF and is charging me $1100 to fix and replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am new to the forum and came across it as I am experiencing exactly the same problem as above and I am completely fed up with the porsche dealership who just wanna take your money. I have a 06 cayman s which whilst accelerating hard just cut out. The car did not turn off but the revs just cut off but it picked up again. After this I noticed that it was not going above 4! I took it in and the machine which reads off errors could not find anything but they told me that on opening the car they found that my air mass sensor needed replacing. I told them to do this but before I picked it up they rang saying you have oil leaking in so will need to replace the oil seperator also. I decided against doing this immediately. On driving the car away it felt amazing! The power was back! Few months later I took it to another garage for a service and asked them to check if there was any oil leakage, they said they found no oil so I decided against changing the oil separator (I did not mention that when I took it to the original dealership they tried charging me for work they did not do and hence I did not trust them). Anyways service was done a few months ago but slowly I can feel the car getting rough and a bit sluggish rather than sharp and crisp. Also I can hear a slight whining noise. I am obviously very concerned and do not trust the dealership so do not know waht to do. Any help wpuld be welcome. (Apologies if I am repeating the same problem)

·
Registered
303 Posts
mine turned out to be that maf, and it's been ok since they reaplced it. mind you, it cost $1100 ....

i suggest picking it up from suncoast for 300 and changing it yourself...

·
Registered
4 Posts
mine turned out to be that maf, and it's been ok since they reaplced it. mind you, it cost $1100 ....

i suggest picking it up from suncoast for 300 and changing it yourself...
Sorry mate, I am not brilliant with cars other than driving them. The maf is ??? Can you tell me what exact problem you had.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
If you need to clean the MAF regularly you may have a bad oil vapor separator -- which is venting oil+air back to the intake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you need to clean the MAF regularly you may have a bad oil vapor separator -- which is venting oil+air back to the intake.
Hi there,
Thanks for the info.When I took it in first time round that is what they said however I just did not trust them as they tried charging me for work that they had not done. Could this also be related to a hissing sound I hear? Basically every time I accelerate I here a quick hissing noise. This can be as I accelerate from gear change or even when I accelerate from riding idle.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I brought the car to the dealer today to get this checked out again. Service rep called me this afternoon and said the MAF needs to be replaced again (was previously replaced in January). He told me that the plenum is causing the MAF to malfunction and that I should put it back to stock. Anyone find any merit in this?

He said that they can't replace it under warranty, as the 'plenum mod' is causing the issue... Anyone heard of any similar situations with the Softronic plenum?

Seems like an excuse to me by the dealer as this is the 3rd time it's been in for this issue with no resolution - I know Softronic mods are thoroughly tested and well proven, so I'm not putting a lot of faith into what the service rep is saying...
The MAF does not know what kind of plenum is on the car. The problem with getting the MAF dirty is that the residue on the wires causes them to run hotter than they would if clean. Since hotter means less air, the MAF is essentially lying to the ECU and the ECU is applying incorrect adjustments to mixture and timing. I have never had a problem, but I clean it every time I replace the air cleaner.

The problem could also be in the free air temperature sensor that is, I believe, used to calibrate the MAF sensor. It may be part of the MAF assembly, but I do not know.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
That's very interesting, I had the SRP on my 2007 Boxster S and never had any such issues for the entire 14000 miles I put on the car. I track the car with r-compounds and had some oil ingestion issues but no issues with the MAF. I return the car to stock prior to getting rid of it and found a very clean MAF. This is the first time I heard of the MAF requiring cleaning at periodic intervals.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.