Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had a p0301 Code, i cleared the code and drove the car for around 100 miles. got the same code back, cleared again drove another 100 miles no engine lights, I ordered the plugs and coils, i just removed the spark plug and the coil from cylinder 1 they look fine. here is the pics. going to change all six. any advise? car runs strong no problem not sure why i got the code. by the way cylinder 1 is the passenger side towards front of the car correct?

2016-01-08 20.38.19.jpg 2016-01-08 20.38.34.jpg 2016-01-08 20.37.28.jpg

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After changing the spark plugs and coils i got the P0301 code back, seems car runs rich. i can smell gas. i recently installed a IPD Plenum and B&B exhaust. i'm wondering if that will cause a misfire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had something like this during the past summer. After replacing all spark plugs and swapping coils around the code would persist within a couple weeks. reading a couple of forum post on different forums, it turned out to be my air oil separator being bad. no code and a daily driven ever since. But you said you are smelling gas, like something isnt getting spark.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had something like this during the past summer. After replacing all spark plugs and swapping coils around the code would persist within a couple weeks. reading a couple of forum post on different forums, it turned out to be my air oil separator being bad. no code and a daily driven ever since. But you said you are smelling gas, like something isnt getting spark.
Thanks for the reply, i just noticed oil the lines from Air/Oil separator. maybe not sure.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I guess you might know this, but instead of replacing the coils just move/switch them. If the coil is indeed faulty the code will also change to the corresponding cylinder. I am not sure what kinds of CEL the AOS can cause, but it is a common item to fail on the 987.1. Another thing it could be is a bad O2-sensor, if you have an OBD2-reader hook it up and monitor the sensor voltages just to see if they are working. A faulty O2 sensor can cause lean/rich running but it should be for the entire bank and not just a cylinder but you never know. Vacuum leak cause the same type of errors, I mention this since you replaced the intake/exhaust. What puzzles me is that it is only 1 cylinder and not the entire bank. Then again sometimes the codes are not ultimate truths just indications of a problem. :)

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess you might know this, but instead of replacing the coils just move/switch them. If the coil is indeed faulty the code will also change to the corresponding cylinder. I am not sure what kinds of CEL the AOS can cause, but it is a common item to fail on the 987.1. Another thing it could be is a bad O2-sensor, if you have an OBD2-reader hook it up and monitor the sensor voltages just to see if they are working. A faulty O2 sensor can cause lean/rich running but it should be for the entire bank and not just a cylinder but you never know. Vacuum leak cause the same type of errors, I mention this since you replaced the intake/exhaust. What puzzles me is that it is only 1 cylinder and not the entire bank. Then again sometimes the codes are not ultimate truths just indications of a problem. :)

Good luck! :cheers:
Thanks for the reply, both time i got the code when i started the car. the first time when i cleared the code it cam back after driving 200 miles. again when i started the car. i'm not getting while driving. when i installed the IPD Plenum and GT3 82MM throttle body i was told that i don't need any tuning the computer will learn and adjust. so I'm not sure if its from throttle body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have been getting P0301 in 06 Cayman S intermittently for some time. Tried running Techron for a while, didn't seem to do much help. So, mechanic replaced all coils and sparkplugs, car being older anyways. But, engine light came back, same code, P0301. Car is completely stock, about 135k miles, parked in a garage, driven in California with no rain/inclement weather. Car idles a bit rough when cold, seems fine when warmed up. Occasionally catch the CEL blinking on cold idle. Have done lots of searching, lots of people suggest swapping coils/plugs, but all have been changed. Could be air oil separator according to this thread? Other thoughts? Cannot make my own thread due to insufficient number of posts (I guess)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts