Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my brother-in-law has had a problem with his 5 month old Panamera.

First he has been going through a quart of oil every 500 miles. Depending on who you talk to this is either a normal or abnormal situation.

The other problem which I did not relate in the other string was his check engine light comes on and will not go out. The dealer has not been able to resolve the problem nor has Porsche. He and the dealer have complained to corporate and all they got for a response was an offer of $2500. Porsche won't replace the car. The dealer does not want a car with the Check Engine that won't go out, so the car is going to auction and he is eating the loss.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Aren't there lemon laws in his state? I'd recommend he get an attorney experienced in these matters on the case.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aren't there lemon laws in his state? I'd recommend he get an attorney experienced in these matters on the case.
Don't know the details, but he has been told that the Lemon Law does not apply to his situation. He is not a happy camper

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Don't know the details, but he has been told that the Lemon Law does not apply to his situation. He is not a happy camper
That makes no sense. On a car in warranty Porsche is not allowed to have a check engine light that won't go out, because that would break the terms of mandatory federal emission control warranties, among other things. Unless, of course, your brother-in-law modified the car, and voided all of the warranties, but you didn't mention anything like that. So this whole story about Porsche giving him a $2500 settlement doesn't make any sense either.

What are all of the details, or why bother us with a bunch of hearsay?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes no sense. On a car in warranty Porsche is not allowed to have a check engine light that won't go out, because that would break the terms of mandatory federal emission control warranties, among other things. Unless, of course, your brother-in-law modified the car, and voided all of the warranties, but you didn't mention anything like that. So this whole story about Porsche giving him a $2500 settlement doesn't make any sense either.

What are all of the details, or why bother us with a bunch of hearsay?
No modifications were done.

I have no reason to doubt my brother-in-law.
I do know he has gone from loving it to can't get rid of it fast enough because of the Check Engine light.

Why the dealer and Porsche can't take care of it we havn't figuered out.

But you make an excellent point with the Federal Emissions law, I'll pass it along. But the dealer and Porsche should both be aware of the law.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Did an attorney tell him it didn't apply?? or the dealership? I concur, he needs to talk to an attorney that is familiar with the lemon laws in his state and go from there. In most states the dealer gets a certain number of tries to fix the problem in a certain amount of time and if it goes outside of that then the customer is entitled to return it under the lemon law. But again, he needs to talk to an attorney in his state that knows the law to see what his options are.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
That' not right. Lemon Law should come into play here.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Something doesn't quite add up. The car cannot be sold w/ a check engine light that won't go out. Based on that alone this car is clearly eligible for lemon law. Need to check the lemon law for your brother-in-law's state and proceed along that line.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No modifications were done.

I have no reason to doubt my brother-in-law.
I do know he has gone from loving it to can't get rid of it fast enough because of the Check Engine light.

Why the dealer and Porsche can't take care of it we havn't figuered out.

But you make an excellent point with the Federal Emissions law, I'll pass it along. But the dealer and Porsche should both be aware of the law.
The finale of the situation.

The car went to auction and my B-in-law moved on to a Merecedes SL. The dealer was embarrased enough by the situation to offer him the SL at cost.

Apparently Porsche had offered to swap the engine. Since the car was brand new and had not been right from day 1 my B-in-law wanted the vehicle replaced. He wanted the car set up properly at the factory and not at the dealer. porsche refused.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Panamera S which I took delivery in FEB 2010

I currently have 4,100 miles and I have had to put in around 6-7qts of oil.

I checked the manual and the permissible amount is 1.6 qts every 621 miles!!! In the manual, it does not say just for the break-in period of for the first 5k or 10k miles. So this could be forever ??!?

What is this? I have never had a car in which I have had to add oil more than maybe once a year if that (usually it gets topped off during the yearly service intervals)

Can anyone help?!? Is this normal? I cant take a trip to disney without stopping and adding oil ... this is crazy.

If the dealer would have told me this, I WOULD HAVE NOT purchased the car.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Panamera S which I took delivery in FEB 2010

I currently have 4,100 miles and I have had to put in around 6-7qts of oil.

I checked the manual and the permissible amount is 1.6 qts every 621 miles!!! In the manual, it does not say just for the break-in period of for the first 5k or 10k miles. So this could be forever ??!?

What is this? I have never had a car in which I have had to add oil more than maybe once a year if that (usually it gets topped off during the yearly service intervals)

Can anyone help?!? Is this normal? I cant take a trip to disney without stopping and adding oil ... this is crazy.

If the dealer would have told me this, I WOULD HAVE NOT purchased the car.
That was part of my B-in-Laws complaint. No one told him to expect that sort of oil consumption. And most don't see the manual until after the deilivery of the car

·
Registered
132 Posts
Maybe they were borderline on the mpg for the CAFE thing and this is how they pushed themselves over the edge.. by burning oil!

Just kidding. That does suck if 1.6 quarts per 621 miles is the limit. That seems like an awful lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It doesn't matter what the manual says. IMO, a motor vehicle intended for use upon the public roads that burns 1.6 quarts of oil per 620 miles, or even one quart per 500 miles, is unfit for its intended use and purpose. In many states, the car would be in breach of an implied warranty of fitness and merchantability.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Lotus Talk (board) puts VIN #s of cars with known damage on it, so you don't get stuck not knowing what you are getting into. Hey moderator - what about putting vin of the car at the beginning of this thread on such a list - I wouldn't want to buy a car with this problem without knowing what I was getting into...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lotus Talk (board) puts VIN #s of cars with known damage on it, so you don't get stuck not knowing what you are getting into. Hey moderator - what about putting vin of the car at the beginning of this thread on such a list - I wouldn't want to buy a car with this problem without knowing what I was getting into...
interesting idea.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
For as long as I can remember (40+ years?) Porsche has said that oil consumption of a quart every 500 miles is acceptable. None of my four Porsches has ever used ANY oil between changes, so while a quart/500 mi may be acceptable to Porsche it is certainly not normal.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If your car is burning 1.6 quarts every 621 miles, perhaps you aren't meeting the stated emission requirements. I mean, you're putting in a quart of oil every time you fill up with gas. I can't believe this isn't affecting the emissions system. Anyone have this checked?

·
Registered
378 Posts
The CEL, as anyone who works on cars can tell you, is only an indicator of high pollution being sensed in the exhaust system. Clearly, someone burning that much oil is exceeding the permitted emission levels, and if the oil burning problem can be resolved, the CEL should go out. At such a short lifespan, an engine with a CEL, that burns oil has got to either have rings that have not been seated well or cylinders out of spec/not round. The only other thing I can think of would be bad valve sleeves.
In either case, swapping out the engine should be more than adequate to address the issue.
Ultimately, I can understand someone wanting their car to be perfect from the factory, with no dealer cracking anything open.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The oil use has been an issue with the Cayman too. I sold my 2007 Cayman after 28,000 miles because it was using a quart of oil every 550 miles. It started the oil use problem after about 25,000 miles.

I am driving a used Toyota corolla now and I plan to buy the Toyota sports car with the Subaru boxer engine next spring. I don't enjoy owning a car with an obvious mechanical problem that should be covered under warranty but isn't. 2013 Subaru BRZ Prototype First Drive - Motor Trend

1 - 19 of 19 Posts