Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Cayman base 6 speed with 19k miles. Have always noticed a bit of a wiggle at idle and it’s more noticeable when the engine is cold and warming in the driveway. The car is new to me have owned a month an got 1k miles on it. When I first got it I did notice from time to time a sort of lull while shifting between gears like between 2nd to 3rd. It feels kind of like a lazy automatic transmission shifting gears where it just kind of really lazy go into gear. Shifts are around 3500 or so when this happens but sometimes 4000rpm.

The revs never rise like a slipping clutch and I went through all sorts of tests to get the clutch to slip and it won’t slip so hopefully can rule that out. I don’t think it’s a miss unless it’s the laziest and smoothest miss ever. No idea if the computer program does this?

Today I took it for a spin and noticed it shakes more than normal at cold idle today and noticed it seemed to do the lull thing much more frequently going through town today. Now if I’m getting on it and shifting around 5k or above I don’t feel it ever. It got me thinking due to the age of the car could it be a mount?

Does this sound characteristic to a weak mount? I hear no banging and have zero vibration it’s a smooth car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Completely lost, can you elaborate on the "lull"? You shift second to third let the clutch all the way out and experience a delay in acceleration? Do I have that right? If so I don't know what you're describing. In general when the mounts go bad the engine shakes more on it's remaining suspension points. You can sometimes feel the mechanical weight shift when you shift because the engine can move more, not sure if that's what you're saying. The shake at cold idle may be the smoking gun. I changed a front mount on my 986 and it was cake, frankly the only tricky part is making sure you pay close attention to the orientation because you can replace it incorrectly, I'm not too egocentric to admit I almost did that and I have decent wrenching skills, but I corrected it before it came off the stands. If I ever do another one I'll pencil mark the one I'm taking out for orientation, going to trash it anyhow. PS I bought the updated mount but the OG mount the car came with? I was shocked at how torn up the rubber center ring was, it was doing nothing at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. Yes after the shift is complete there is this lull or lag around 3k/3.5k. It’s like the torque is gone. For a second

·
Registered
64 Posts
It could definitely be a mount, you can't go by miles because the heat and age are a huge factor in degradation. My 986 had very low mileage too and like I said it was toast. I'm not sure how to go about checking the mounts, I'm getting CRS (pre Alzheimer, "can't remember ____ syndrome". As such I don't remember how I knew she needed a mount I know I didn't disassemble it first that's all I remember. Maybe you can get a visual on the front from underneath and see part of that rubber, that might be how I saw the issue, again not sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m just hoping it’s not the DMF. I’ll get the car in the air and look at the mounts and use a bar to see if I get slip on it.

My fear of DMF is still there as I just don’t know these cars well as it’s my first car with a dual mass flywheel. After the car is warm if I start it warm I get a slight chatter which sounds and when I shut it down a small chatter too. I searched and found a forum on Rennlist with 911s of a guy describing exactly what my car does and ten people said it was normal. It’s silent when the car is cold. I have zero clutch slip.

Today I was driving it a bit hard nothing extreme on the way home and came to a stop sign with a slight uphill incline. Almost coming to a complete stop but not quite I got on it in first and the take off was a clunk/skip feel. I almost thought I ran a big rock or something over on the passenger front. It was weird, I looked the road was debris free.

I went to an empty parking lot and tried all sorts of take off. If I slightly drag the clutch I get that chatter sound sometimes and if I lug it I would get the chatter but not taking off normal or hard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I hope I found my issue for all my concerns as it appears the motor mount is pretty weak. The first giveaway was the foam stuff on either side you can clearly see that is a fresh break of the foam as the mount is probably moving from side to side with harder driving. Just using a spring bar up and down seems to move a bit but the side to side movement is a bit too loose for my taste. I looked at the transmission mounts and appear fine and not much movement but couldn't get a great bite with the bar. Would it be wise to replace all three mounts just to be done with it due to the age of the car? Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
64 Posts
On the 986 I just did the front and it was fine. I mean if you absolutely want peace of mind I guess it's not a bad call but you can do the front and take a "see how it feels now" approach too, your call. Glad for you it wasn't the DMF. Just my opinion but changing that one wasn't a hard job at all, plug and play. PS That's clearly toast, just wait till you see it out, you'll be shocked what that looks like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Boris, I’m not 100 percent out of the woods yet until I replace it and give it a test run but I’m pretty confident it’s my issue. Thanks for the info I will take your advice and just replace the front for now. I have a garage with a drive over pit and telescoping jack so I hope it’s a pretty easy job. Is there any good info on torque specs?
FWIW I bought the car from a one owner gentleman in his 60s and it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor so it may be safe to say it didn’t get driven all that hard and is why I just discovered the issue recently.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm confident you are "out of the woods" that thing is shot, period. Like I said wait till you see the rubber center hub, post us a pic when you're done. I couldn't tell you torque specs but you aren't putting heads on either. I'd use a torque wrench to loosen them and take note if you're that fastidious. I'd be very surprised if the dealer is using one on that job even though for the coin we all hope they would.

I'm in my 60's so I had to lol at your comment. This old man drives his Spyder with passion but also ultimate respect for the machinery. I guess I am old though because I have never used launch control, I couldn't even tell you if it works. The entire procedure sounds like it's horrible for the drive-train and transmission. I do like to take her on back roads in the twisties but I guess whoever gets her after me will be flogging molly, I have too much respect for my stuff. Heck I change the mower oil every year and that Honda engine is fifteen years old and starts pull one...PS Boris the spyder is a who song, I thought that was a good name, probably the only one "who" made that connection.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha no disrespect and thank you for the advice. I’m in my mid 30s but I do know who The Who is. I spend my weekends playing in a cover band and we even do some Buddy Holly! BTW Honda imo is the best small engine out there. I will for sure take some pictures of the mount when I get it out. Probably be a good week or so to get it shipped to me. Thank you

·
Registered
77 Posts
19K and mount toast! That seems strange. My 06 Boxster S has 146000 Kilometres (all original) and when I pulled
the mount last season to install the Function First Orange Motor Mount Inserts i had the mount completely out on
the bench it appeared like new ,no tears or even cracks. Based on what I read I was expecting it to be shredded
rubber! ( I dont track it). Note the new revised spacer pads on either side of the mount have changed from a solid piece of black rubber to a 2 sides rubber/foam unit.( in 2007 I think) Looks like the foam side of the pad dosent last BUT it probably gives less vibes when new. Its like 2 levels of material hardness like a seat that has different levels of foam to provide progressive hardness and soften the feel. Im sure your changing those out anyway. I think when the foam side wears on the side pads of the mount it will cause more movement in the mount rubber possibly speeding up the wear . I guess we will probably hear more on this issue as the the older cars change these parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts