Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I can't believe it has already been a couple of months since I last posted in this column, where does the time go? In my case a lot of time went towards upgrading the site software and protecting the site from spammers/scammers/hackers who routinely break into forum software sites if for nothing more than to steal the list of members and their information. We take the security of our member's information seriously and went through a security audit during the recent upgrade. The result was a hardening of our systems and software to prevent attacks from gaining access to your information along with implementing a new email verification system. Yes, I know that this initially created a bit of havoc from some members who couldn't get into the site until their email was verified, but we were able to get that ironed out and things seem to be operating smoothly now. In fact with the more streamlined system we have seen an increase in new member registrations. I know some of you were concerned about the recent heartbleed security problem that was recently unveiled. We have made sure that our server is not vulnerable to that issue and can confirm that no member information was accessed through that or any other means.

I must say that when we went through this hardening there were some eye opening revelations. For example the vbulletin software we used previously the 3.x generation which is still used by other forums has several holes that have never been patched and likely never will be since the software makers are no on to versions 4 and 5. It is a nasty world out there on the interweb and I've seen other sites that have been hacked and don't even know they are hacked, with their member information being bled away or some of the sites traffic redirected but only in certain circumstances that makes it almost impossible to track down. Please be careful when visiting other sites, especially if they are running older software or haven't gone through a recent security hardening. Forum software isn't the only thing under attack, server software, hosting sites, third party add-ons are all routinely hit.

So enough gloom and doom, let's talk about better weather and getting our cars out of the garage! I was finally able to do so recently, even though we just were hit with some light snow again yesterday. Aside from this temporary setback, I am also scheduled to teach at a BMW CCA track event the weekend of April 24-26th at Heartland Park in Topeka, KS. I know a couple of other Caymans will be there and if you haven't heard of this event before because it is BMW sponsored, I highly recommend it. I've taught at it before and it is a lot of fun. Information and registration is available at: BMW CCA - Kansas City Chapter > Events - MotorsportReg.com

In addition to new track events, we also have a new feature we hope to be testing on the website soon that will provide our sponsors with a way to do special limited time offer sales and reduced prices in an automated fashion. I hope to have more on this soon as we line up some sponsors to start participating in the program. Speaking of sponsors we are always on the lookout for new sponsors that have products or services that our members will enjoy. If you have a recommended sponsor please use the Contact Us form at the bottom of the page to send their information our way and we will follow up. Sadly, I should also report that the firm I work for is undergoing another workforce reduction (I'm reminded of the George Carlin shell shock skit) and our team is going to be a casualty, hence I will be back in the job market soon and probably heads down sending out resumes, calling recruiters, etc. etc. so my apologies in advance if you don't see me around here as much while I refocus some of my time. If, by any chance, a member reading this has an opportunity please let me know and I would be happy to discuss it with you.

Until next time, Stay Tuned!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I was gone for a week prior to a couple of days ago and there are no new post? Know what the problem might be. I signed in this morning with no new post, had to logout this morning. Signed back in and go new post, hope that is not the norm?

Thanks,

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was gone for a week prior to a couple of days ago and there are no new post? Know what the problem might be. I signed in this morning with no new post, had to logout this morning. Signed back in and go new post, hope that is not the norm?

Thanks,
Something you are using like Tapatalk etc. Is keeping you logged in and keeps resetting your new posts counter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Thanks again Ken and the best of luck in your search for new/gameful employment. So very, very happy I don't have to do that any more. Retirement is sweet but I still do miss that pay check.:cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to hear about the job. Thank you for your service to the site, and I hope you find something to your likeing quickly. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Something you are using like Tapatalk etc. Is keeping you logged in and keeps resetting your new posts counter.

It's not tapatalk, must be something else. Kinda annoying, still no new post for me. I'll try to figure it out.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not tapatalk, must be something else. Kinda annoying, still no new post for me. I'll try to figure it out.
Well something is keeping you logged in. Next time you are on the site be sure and click the log off button/link before you close your browser. That way it will time stamp your cookie and the next time you log on it will pull that time stamp from your cookie and then report all posts new since that time stamp. If that doesn't work then you have a problem with your browser reading cookies from this site, or may have a corrupted cookie in which case try a different browser for a bit or completely flush your cookies and get a new one from the site.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well something is keeping you logged in. Next time you are on the site be sure and click the log off button/link before you close your browser. That way it will time stamp your cookie and the next time you log on it will pull that time stamp from your cookie and then report all posts new since that time stamp. If that doesn't work then you have a problem with your browser reading cookies from this site, or may have a corrupted cookie in which case try a different browser for a bit or completely flush your cookies and get a new one from the site.

I do logoff everytime but it's keeping me login, so I cleared the cookies, seems to be working now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts