Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've searched on here and, though I have found many, MANY posts about upgrading CDR to PCM 3.1, I have not seen a definitive one about upgrading CDR31 (absolute base, 4 x 25 Watts, no fader, Bluetooth phone pairing only) to CDR+/Plus (9 speakers, 235 Watts, Bluetooth phone AND streaming music, Etc.). Is this possible and REASONABLY doable? I'm not concerned about speakers (though that would be nice) but more about streaming music (I do not care about NAV), with minimal hacks/splicing while maintaining what functionality I DO have - anybody? Any guidance is appreciate, thanks!

Dom

·
Registered
305 Posts
It has been discussed. The radio is imprinted with the VIN number of the vehicle. In order to install a a CDR+, you have to purchase the radio and the VIN of the vehicle it was obtained from. You then need to take it to the dealer and purchase a CODE for the Radio from Porsche. I've heard this take a long time if successful at all. Then the dealer needs to code the radio to the vehicle. This is VERY costly. I'm thinking $1000+ for the radio and $900 for the license / code from Porsche.

For me it wasn't worth it, I just removed the CDR31 and put in an aftermarket high end radio with every bell and whistle including backup camera for $1300. I installed it in my vehicle myself so that I can always replace it with the stock Porsche radio system; plug and play.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It has been discussed. The radio is imprinted with the VIN number of the vehicle. In order to install a a CDR+, you have to purchase the radio and the VIN of the vehicle it was obtained from. You then need to take it to the dealer and purchase a CODE for the Radio from Porsche. I've heard this take a long time if successful at all. Then the dealer needs to code the radio to the vehicle. This is VERY costly. I'm thinking $1000+ for the radio and $900 for the license / code from Porsche.

For me it wasn't worth it, I just removed the CDR31 and put in an aftermarket high end radio with every bell and whistle including backup camera for $1300. I installed it in my vehicle myself so that I can always replace it with the stock Porsche radio system; plug and play.
Thanks for the response. I really like the stock look, I haven’t seen a bezel yet that I thought looked as nice as the stock stereo. I’m on the lookout for a pcm in the $500-600 dollar range. I haven’t found one yet, but I did reach out to Nick at NMAutomotive, I think we’ll find a reasonable solution ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.