Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a 2015 BS with stock exhaust, looking to upgrade to PSE from Suncoast.
How many hours should I expect dealer to install?
For those who purchased the car with PSE new from dealer, did it come with or without tip? Chrome or black?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just did that. Dealer quoted $1200 (i don't recall no of hrs) but indy shop quoted $900 (@~115/hr). I didn't get quotes from different indy shops. Something I shouldn't have done. I also got the parts from the shop who must have ordered through the dealer. Get the parts (pse, tip) from suncoast and get quotes from different shops if you want to save some $. The part needed entire switch panel so I paid another $250 for it. But suncoastparts package seems include switch as well for $2100. PM me if you need more details.

719 Posts
So it seems like the quotes you all are getting to install PSE are for 7-8 hours of labor? I am trying to figure out some discrepancies here. When our dealer network (ourselves included) quotes an install of a Soul Performance Products Valved Exhaust for a 981 Boxster S, they quote about 5 hours including the install of the the exhaust itself, the valve controller and all of the vacuum tubing necessary. Maybe the difference is the switch panel? When we do it, we link the valve controller to the homelink so there is no need to install a new switch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$1,200 dealer installation cost is attractive. I've called couple local indy shops and estimates ranged from $1,100 - $1,300 (1-1.5 day labor). Gonna give the dealer a ring.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did this exact install including sport headers back in March of this year. Was expensive for labor, around $1,500 total if I can recall from one of my local Porsche dealers. I wish I had just purchased a car with the PSE already on it, but that was not the case. Once it was installed and working properly, I was more than satisfied with my decision. My car sounds incredible.

I think the install time was around the 8 hour mark. Even though I know in my case it took longer, the dealer only charged me for what was originally quoted. I did get lower bids from reputable independent shops, but they gave me the impression that they had not installed a PSE on a 981 Cayman S before. Once I read the instructions I received from Suncoast (originally did not include in the box with the exhaust so had to call and have them email it to me), I realized this was a huge effort. You really have to take apart so much of the car behind the seats to run the lines as well as the center console and switch. The install of the exhaust itself is the easy part (prob 3 hours). Given this aspect, I wanted someone who knows Caymans (how to properly take them apart and how to put back together). I went with the dealer because I knew they would get it right and correct any issues no questions asked. Not worth saving $500 in my opinion. I don't need the headache. We had some issues, but they got resolved after a few trips back. Plus, you probably have to get the button programmed anyway at a dealer which will be a minimum of 1 hour. You could always go with a non-valvetronic exhaust and skip the high labor costs. I think the FVD sounds very close to PSE. Any reputable shop should be able to install that in 3-4 hrs. I think I got a quote of $210 to install the FVD if I was going to go that route.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience. Taking everything into consideration, I've decided to go with dealer quoting $1,300. Now I just need to have an explanation for wife when she asks why "her" car sounds louder all of a sudden...

·
Registered
334 Posts
My kids are still wondering about the sudden change in the car sound... And I would have been caught by the family (they are in dark about this) had I brought the stock exhaust home. I told the shop to get rid off it...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
So it seems like the quotes you all are getting to install PSE are for 7-8 hours of labor? I am trying to figure out some discrepancies here. When our dealer network (ourselves included) quotes an install of a Soul Performance Products Valved Exhaust for a 981 Boxster S, they quote about 5 hours including the install of the the exhaust itself, the valve controller and all of the vacuum tubing necessary. Maybe the difference is the switch panel? When we do it, we link the valve controller to the homelink so there is no need to install a new switch.
The OE switch panel comes with the Suncoast kit and is likely the difference in labor. I did mine over a couple days and 7-8 hours seems about right for the complete install. The PSE kit has an electronic vacuum change-over valve that mounts on top of the engine and controls the rear valves via the console switch. To do the full console switch panel and wiring, the drivers seat and all panels from the rear trunk to the backs of the seats must be removed to run the wire from a relay at the passenger rear tail light area to the rear electronics controller that resides under the drivers seat. Then the dealer must program the button.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
And the permanent exhaust mod can be done for under a $1000 by any muffler shop, including exhaust! I never found a reason for the close valve... We are not really talking about race level noises here. Just a proper exhaust sound for sports car :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.