Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[pic=right]http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/liftnews.jpg[/pic] Q4P09H Lift now ALI/ETL Certified! Our newest sponsor - Quality Lifts - Auto Lift, Motorcycle Lift, Shop Equipment, and Car Lift Installation by Quality Lifts - is offering our members additional discounts on their full line of products including the Q4P09H lift. This lift was recently featured in our live streaming webcast or you can read the article here:

Qualifty Lifts Q4P09H Lift Article - Click Here

Quality Lifts is a designer and manufacturer of Automotive Parking Lifts, Auto Lifts, Truck Lifts, and Motorcycle/ATV Lifts for the Auto Enthusiast and Professional Service markets. Utilizing professional grade design with cost effective solutions, Quality Lifts provides safe and reliable automotive storage and service lifts with easy to use features for a reasonable price. In addition to the normal promotions listed in the “Special Promotions” section of Auto Lift, Motorcycle Lift, Shop Equipment, and Car Lift Installation by Quality Lifts, Planet-9 club members enjoy a 5% discount on all products. Please call Quality Lifts at 1-877-771-5438 or send them an e-mail in the Contact US section of the website for information on getting your discount or the contact information for a local distributor.

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
Nice article on the lift. To get some reference, how high is your garage ceiling? Are you considering changing your garage door tracks to give that more height, or is it all the way there? Lastly, what considerations are there for the load on the floor, are the steel plates enough to distribute the load without footers?

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice article on the lift. To get some reference, how high is your garage ceiling? Are you considering changing your garage door tracks to give that more height, or is it all the way there? Lastly, what considerations are there for the load on the floor, are the steel plates enough to distribute the load without footers?
I don't know how high my ceiling is. :) I do know the beam is about 112" from the floor, but I planned on 106" with the garage opener mechanism. I am probably going to change opener motor mounting points so I can get the additional 6 inches out of it. I had my garage doors raised 1 section and higher track put in a couple of months ago, see the older article on that subject for details.

Floor load was not a problem because I have earth underneath and the garage floor is thick enough and has rebar, if you have basement underneath your garage then there is some test they run to see if it will support it or not.
You might call Quality Lifts and get additional specs, they will know much better than I do! :)

·
CVR Rally Chair
71 Posts
I've been thinking about a lift. I just got a new 1 car garage (wood floor) and a scissor lift might do the trick. I wonder if anyone has ever used that type with a Porsche.
Chris

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been thinking about a lift. I just got a new 1 car garage (wood floor) and a scissor lift might do the trick. I wonder if anyone has ever used that type with a Porsche.
Chris
They have them, give Kim a call and see what she says about it, I've seen people with all sorts of cars use them before, I don't know why a Porsche would be any different.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Nice set up you have there.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Chris
The only problem with the scissor lift, is that it requires nearly 6 inches of clearance to drive over it - which would be a problem for most late model Porsches. I think most people deal with that by using 2x8 or 2x10 planks as ramps on either side, to get enough height to drive over the lift.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only problem with the scissor lift, is that it requires nearly 6 inches of clearance to drive over it - which would be a problem for most late model Porsches. I think most people deal with that by using 2x8 or 2x10 planks as ramps on either side, to get enough height to drive over the lift.
Yeah I think he probably asked because he has a wood floor garage, but I guess it depends on how thick the wood is and what is underneath the wood as to what type of lift he could or could not use, hence my suggestion to call Quality Lifts and ask what for their experts. I don't think I've ever seen a garage with a wood floor before. :)

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Nice article, K-Man. I need a lift, and a place to park my 911SC at home. It would be nice having it parked above my Cayman. This just might work. Thanks and Cheers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Chris
FWIW, I have used a pad lift for many years and it is plenty low enough for not only my Cayman S but for my '96 Carrera 4S which is lowered on PSS9's. I park over the lift every day. The weight is also very evenly distributed and it does not need to be bolted in place. Great for my purpose of general maintenance, wheel changing, etc. Now if my wife would let me buy more cars THEN I would get a post lift too! :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
That pad lift is more like what I might want. So I can more easily work on the lower sides and wheel wells, etc. Maybe Santa can visit my garage this Christmas. Ed

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That pad lift is more like what I might want. So I can more easily work on the lower sides and wheel wells, etc. Maybe Santa can visit my garage this Christmas. Ed
Well now is a good time to tell Mrs. Claus and she can take advantage of the additional sale for our members!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Well now is a good time to tell Mrs. Claus and she can take advantage of the additional sale for our members!
I went to the QL web site but did not see a pad style lift, do they have one?

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Question on the 4-post lift: Is the area between the wheel-rails wide enough to allow one to pull the engine or trans from a 911 SC and such?

I like the idea of being able to store a car up high and park another car under it, but I also want to be able to elevate the car for mechanical access.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question on the 4-post lift: Is the area between the wheel-rails wide enough to allow one to pull the engine or trans from a 911 SC and such?

I like the idea of being able to store a car up high and park another car under it, but I also want to be able to elevate the car for mechanical access.
Yes I could drop the engine out of my cayman if needed with the car up on the lift. The exact specs for the distance between the ramps is in the download pdf file linked at the end of the article which is stored in our Files area.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Is it possible to fit two of those sliding scissor jacks in the 4 poster? Do the arms with the pads slide out like it looks they would?

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A minimum collapsed height of 5 1/2" seems a bit tall for a Cayman. Although I might be incorrect seems like when I was shopping floor jacks 4 1/2" was about the height limit. Anyone know the actual limit?

Mark
It might, hence KS-CS's suggestion to use a roll up ramp of some sort, boards, whatever to help get your car into position to have the jack underneath it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts