Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing this once when the car was pretty new but couldn't reproduce it at will afterwards and started wondering if I had remembered wrong. But it happened again recently, and I caught it on camera. Is there a 7th gear hiding?

Tachometer Speedometer Gauge Measuring instrument Car

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was just out with my 2016 M/T CGTS and had a look for this. No upshift indicator in 6th gear, at constant speed between ~80km/h -> ~170 km/h.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I remember seeing this once when the car was pretty new but couldn't reproduce it at will afterwards and started wondering if I had remembered wrong. But it happened again recently, and I caught it on camera. Is there a 7th gear hiding?

View attachment 161962
There is definitely 7th gear hiding, but not on GT4 as it shows in your picture. No PDK for that car and MT stops at 6th gear.

If you want 7th gear, switch your car for a PDK-equipped Cayman. If you offer straight trade, I am sure you will be done by this afternoon :)

If you are MT man, there's also a possibility to get 991 generation MT Carrera as a straight trade.

Reactions: hccyong

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just out with my 2016 M/T CGTS and had a look for this. No upshift indicator in 6th gear, at constant speed between ~80km/h -> ~170 km/h.
Yup, it rarely happens to me. This was only the 2nd time I noticed it in 5500 miles or so, although most of those miles were not done in 6th gear....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yup, it rarely happens to me. This was only the 2nd time I noticed it in 5500 miles or so, although most of those miles were not done in 6th gear....
Same for me, I very rarely drive in 6th, which I realized after your post, when I went out to check this... (I want to keep the revs up and don't give a rats a** about fuel consumption :) )

Still - I will keep an eye out for this from now on and will report back if it pops up. I am adamant it shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts

View attachment 161962
Probably a programming glitch in the ECU...

·
Registered
334 Posts
I too drive in sport mode most of the time in 3rd or 4th. Today after seeing this thread started to watch the indicator. I was at 54 in 3rd. The indicator came up. I shifted to 4th and was at between 48 and 55, the indicator came up again to shift to 5th? Should I have this checked with the dealership?

·
Registered
122 Posts
No. The up shift indicator comes up as soon as the ECU detects you can shift to a higher gear, depending on the engine load, engine speed etc. It is there purely to "help" the driver to save fuel (reduce CO2 emissions) and gives the manufacturer "credits" in the emission test cycles. In an automatic the ECU will pick the highest gear possible in all situations and the shift indicator in M/T cars reflects this. You can play with it, stay in 4th between 48 and 55, press the throttle and it will go away, release it and it will come back. And so on. But it will not / should not pop up in 6th... :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nothing wrong. If you take your foot off you are engine braking - no need for up shift (and the fuel is cut out anyway). I was maybe a bit unclear above. With foot on throttle (and all conditions fulfilled) it will come on. If you then continue to press harder, i.e accelerate quite hard, it will go away for a while, until you ease off and then it will go on again, to indicate an up shift is recommended.

All this said, I think if you drive by the indicator, it will be quite boring driving and no P-car necessary... ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.