Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Cayman S today! YES. Capristo exhaust/header. I am going to the track tomorrow AM!. But the car is too loud after 5,500. This is on the quiet setting. Track rule is 93db. and it sounds about 96-99.
I am hoping someone could assistance me or may have the PDF on how to reprogram to keep the valve closed. I looked on the capristo site and could not find a PDF on the site. My remote only has a triangle and a circle symbol on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I received my Cayman S today! YES. Capristo exhaust/header. I am going to the track tomorrow AM!. But the car is too loud after 5,500. This is on the quiet setting. Track rule is 93db. and it sounds about 96-99.
I am hoping someone could assistance me or may have the PDF on how to reprogram to keep the valve closed. I looked on the capristo site and could not find a PDF on the site. My remote only has a triangle and a circle symbol on it.
Keep valve closed will damage ur engine!!!!

PDF IS HERE
http://www.capristo-usa.com/capristoprogrammingmanualces2v1[1].pdf

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I'm pretty sure the PDF for programming is also in our Files section but I see REAY000000 has linked to it directly. For track days you really have a only a couple of options:

1) Force the valves to be closed all the time by removing vacuum to them. Capristo does not recommend this, at least not long term because you build up more backpressure with the valves closed and the system will likely retain more heat. I haven't heard anyone having a problem doing this, but it isn't recommended because of the potential for problems.

2) Attach something to the exhaust tip that redirects the sound away from the direction of the track sound sensors. This could be done with some hose clamps and some sheet metal or other material. The exhaust would still be loud but the majority of the sound would be directed way from the sound sensors and might allow you to pass whatever db level they have set.

3) Find a track without restrictions or where the restrictions are high enough for you to pass.

I think it would be easier to pull your vacuum lines to the actuators than it would be to try and reprogram your exhaust to stay closed longer. BTW did you get a new exhaust or a used exhaust? The remote you describe is at least a year old, Capristo has a newer (fancier but functionally the same) remote.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the fast reply. See what i can do to adjust noise level.
The Car had the mods installed about 1.5 years ago,. I bought the car containing several mods. Suspension, exhaust etc. I am going to do a fair amount of track and autox and our local lot- has a 93 limit. THe exhaust appears to be fully open up the at 6-7,000. I will see this morning were it actually comes in. I am excited to run with SCCA. They now have three classes where the cayman is competitive, AS, BSP, FP. I also instruct for PCA and doing a PCA event tomorrow- No sound limit. In CA>

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Ken, vacuum holds the valves closed so pulling the lines will keep them open.

I forget which way the vacuum solenoid works. If it's normally open, vacuum applied, then just pulling the electrical connector might do the trick.

Otherwise removing the vacuum supply and lines to the valves from the solenoid and connecting them straight through with a double ended hose barb would keep the exhaust in quiet mode.

I don't know if it's true or not but one of the old dyno tests mentioned that they thought they heard the beginnings of knock/detonation on a forced closed run makes me a bit leary of this.

Any idea what the new remote goes for?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just back from the event and the exhaust measured over 100db. Nationials scca has a limit of 102. I am going to have to do something as this is way to loud. Its just from about 5800-7000 range, and once it kicks in it stays on even as the revs drop below 5, I had to cruise by the sound meter.
On the street you rarely go over 6, so its not a big issue.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Yeah oops vacuum does hold them closed my bad :). You could bypass the control box at the vacuum lines and hook them together directly to keep the valves closed. Sorry brain fart.

Now as far as the exhaust goes the exhaust shoot out we did at croctoberfest clearly showed the Capristo pegging the meter at 130db so I hope you knew how loud it was before you bought it. ;). As far as the valves opening and closing it depends on the control box you have and how it is programmed, but the valves typically take a certain amount of time to close after you get off the throttle regardless of rpm, but you can program that length of time on the newer boxes.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
The valves are adjustable so it should be possible to tone it down a bit by having it not go full open. I'd talk to Capristo first to find out just how far you can go or if this is really doable. This probably gives up a few HP.

I think there's a way to change how long it stays open after the revs drop (exhaust pressure). Check the articles section on programming.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will give Capristo a call on Monday. Wow 130 db. SCCA requires 50 ft away so i dont think it would be close to 130db.
I just bought the car yesterday, it came with
several performance "goodies."
Off to a PCA event tomorrow. Going to borrow four 285 hoosiers and see if I can take ttod. One pesky gt3 and an ASP gt2. oh and a SM vette that usually takes it. Today, I was on spent yok 048's and spent the day drifting. SLow but fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.