Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I got the blue Pagid brake pads last week and had the dealer install them.

However either I have the wrong pads (which I believe I don't based on the website) or the dealership installed them wrong.

They are currently making contact with the discs at all times. The car is currently at the dealership while they look at them. Unfortunately they took a "these are after-market" stance - which I didn't appreciate.

Can someone give me any advice ASAP as I need to get the dealership directions on whether to put the old stock pads on... or if someone has a fix?

I did a track event and drove with them for awhile before I noticed this (mainly via my MPG change). So I'm worried I've damaged my rotors (although I have not noticed any warpage).

Sigh...

EYKIM

·
On Probation
582 Posts
have you talked to the people that made the brakes ? do either need/require the use of shims

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Contact Craig at the Rennstore a sponsor here. One of the Pagid blues I can not remember which has the shims integrated and you can not should not add the original noise quieting shims.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What symptoms are manifesting? I run Blues all the way around and never ran into that problem. Mine did not have shims integrated into them, but they were sure as heck difficult to install since they are so much thicker, but with some good ol elbow grease they went in. And at first it seemed like the pads were rubbing but once I bedded them in no problem, now they still make a heck of a lot of noise though........

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rotors are HOT when I don't think they should be. Scrapping/rubbing noise just rolling through the a parking garage...

I'll have them check the shims - to be sure they aren't using them.

I'll probably hear from them in an hour or so, so I'll check in right before to see if anyone else has comments :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
It sounds like the only problem is that you did not bed them in properly. New pads are always going to be much thicker than the old, so you will have some rubbing at first.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am with Karrera4 I think they may find nothing. Its just that these are noisy pads either squealing or rubbing/grinding. I ran orange pagids before and they were rough sounding even at parking lot speed when you applied them. If your car is not rolling freely when you put it in neutral and kind of roll down an incline then I would suspect some is really wrong but if it is rolling freely then I would wager it is just the pads. They are great on the track but not so street friendly.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking you didn't push the pistons all the way in. Use an adjustable wrench on the tabs on the tops of the pads and make sure you get them ALL THE WAY IN.

Also, you're mpg issues may have been a result of your aggressive track driving unless you did a reset.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Hi Craig,

Can you provide more details about which Pagids pads won't work with the factory shims on Cayman/Cayman S front/rear applications?

Thanks.

You must MUST as discussed PUSH the caliper pistons all the way in and don't use the factory noise shims!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dealership reset the pads into place - probably along the lines of comments on the pistons you guys mentioned.

Upon pick up, seems a bit better but we'll see after my commute tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I installed these pagid blues (sport) myself last year and there's no way you can fully insert these without pushing the caliper pistons all the way in. They're that thick. Someone must have hammered away during your initial install. Anyway it's good to know about things that can go wrong with brake pad jobs.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Did you keep or remove the noise damper shims shaggyone?

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
I've retained the factory dampers/shims through several sets of Pagid yellows. While out of the box clearance with fully compressed pistons is not large, the pads have gone in easily by hand and without any problems.

Although it would be easier to remove the shims, I sometimes install my track pads as much as a few weeks before a track event and during those weeks want to eliminate/reduce squeal on my daily driver. When used with the shims and CRC Brake Disc Quiet, the yellows are acceptably quiet until the CRC is burned off at the track.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If you manage to really heat the stock pads it is possible to pull a pad and leave the damper in the caliper. It happened to me once. I caught it when installing the new pads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts