Discussion Starter #1

[TR]
[TD="width: 80, align: center"]
The Motor Report
[/TD]
[TD="class: j"]

US Boxster, Cayman to get 4-cylinders in '16
Automotive News
ATLANTA -- Porsche will begin selling four-cylinder versions of its Boxster and Cayman sports cars in the U.S. in mid-2016, CEO Matthias Mueller said. Porsche last sold four-cylinder engines in this market 20 years ago. Mueller acknowledged that ...
Porsche Australia introduces 2016 pricing and specification updatesCarAdvice
Porsche Australia: 2016 Black Edition Models, New Features LaunchedThe Motor Report
Porsche 911 & Boxster Black Editions announced with 2016 updatePerformanceDrive

all 5 news articles »
[/TD]
[/TR]

More...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Bow your heads in prayer -

Nothing against 4 cyl + turbo cars, they can be quite fun. Better environmentally? I'm not sold on that. Read a story where they test turbo cars without really stomping on them- hence, the illusion of great gas mileage and efficiency...but people rarely drive them this way.

Ever own a turbo car for the long haul (Good the first 5 years, but then maintenance kicks in)? What a major pain in the butt...more complex plumbing = vac hoses, check valves, diverter valves frequently need attention, more complex troubleshooting...stuffed engine bays = you likely cannot do the work yourself.

Is this what the public really wants or is this what car company's must do to adhere to government regulations - then they market it as something that we really want?

It is what it is - after 2 turbo cars, getting a NA car was a requirement for me...I am really happy to be getting into a flat 6. Even moreso if they will become dinosaurs in the near future.

I'm sure the marketers will tell us that we love them.

Reactions: MidEngine-Fan

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
is this what car company's must do to adhere to government regulations
You - we - have no say in this. They MUST meet the EU carbon footprint regulations, particularly the ones for 2020, or you will be paying potentially stiff financial penalty. If we want to blame anyone for this, blame the people who make the regulations. The company, Porsche AG, and its parent Volkswagon AG, has no choice. Going to turbos is one of many means to reduce emissions, along with the other things they do that many of us hate like auto start/stop or ridiculously long gearing. Like I really need the ability to do 190 mph outside of Germany (now if I lived in Germany :))

Word is auto start/stop will be by default ON for or 2016 cars. It's only going to get worse. Keep what you got until the wheels fall off :)

Of course there is another way around this. Get 200,000 of your closest friends, each year, to tell PAG you will pay the fines.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
You - we - have no say in this. They MUST meet the EU carbon footprint regulations, particularly the ones for 2020, or you will be paying potentially stiff financial penalty. If we want to blame anyone for this, blame the people who make the regulations. The company, Porsche AG, and its parent Volkswagon AG, has no choice. Going to turbos is one of many means to reduce emissions, along with the other things they do that many of us hate like auto start/stop or ridiculously long gearing. Like I really need the ability to do 190 mph outside of Germany (now if I lived in Germany :))

Word is auto start/stop will be by default ON for or 2016 cars. It's only going to get worse. Keep what you got until the wheels fall off :)

Of course there is another way around this. Get 200,000 of your closest friends, each year, to tell PAG you will pay the fines.
This . :soapbox:

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts