Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the current USB port is USB 2.0. Wondering if anyone has had any success using the new generation of USB 3.0 mini thumb drives (Sandisk Ultra Fit and Leef Supra) through that port to play or import songs.

Testing shows that USB 3.0 drives read faster, even in 2.0 drives, and are obviously much faster to write to from your 3.0 ported computer.

If you do have experience with using these new drives in the current 981, and you leave them installed in the port all the time, have you experienced issues with excess heat or skipping, as has been reported by some Sandisk users on Amazon?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. So in the absence of other replies, went ahead and tried to make the Jukebox transfer with a USB 3.0 drive (the very fast Sandisk Extreme CZ80, 32gb drive).

What I can report is that the USB 3.0 drive loaded into the Jukebox with no issues. I can also report that uploading 8.8 gb of songs took almost an hour--so not sure the faster drive made any different in the uploading (certainly did in the downloading).

In the end, because some of those songs were stored in Apple Lossless format, not only were they not playable (though recognized) by the PCM, but the Jukebox function ultimately crashed (function not available at this time).

I wiped the Jukebox and went with an old iPod attached with the old 30 pin to USB dock connector, and it plays Mpeg3's, AAC as well as Apple Lossless files. This also leaves the track order of each album intact and seems to run just as fast as the Jukebox did.

However, Apple's discontinuation of their old classic iPods means that we are limited to expensive iPod Touch and insufficient iPod Nanos.

Anyone have an old iPod Classic with 160 gb to sell?

·
Registered
146 Posts
In the end, because some of those songs were stored in Apple Lossless format, not only were they not playable (though recognized) by the PCM, but the Jukebox function ultimately crashed (function not available at this time).
I am experimenting with my system. Today I transferred a CD from the disk to iTunes using the lossless function. Computer shows one song in particular at 683kbps and 34.0MB for almost 7 minutes.

I also had another disk already on itunes that was in default format. Turns out a song on this CD was 265kbps and 9.2MB for almost 5 minutes.

Both files are .m4a.

I could play the lower format from the usb stick and transfer to the Jukebox and play. However, even though the lossless files were recognized - I could see the album name and the names of all the tracks in the correct order, the system would not play the lossless files.

What gives? I guess I need to know the limitations of the system before I start converting a stack of CDs to itunes. I would rather do this task once. I haven't done it to date because my other car has a 6 disc capacity.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yep, thanks. Porsche is behind the tech curve. I'll use .wav files. iTunes can produce them and the PCM can read them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The aftermarket is only starting to be able to playback other formats now so it will be awhile until it trickles down to OEM stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts