Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 981cs with 20 inch carrera s wheels and the Goodyear Eagle F1 summers on them. Does anyone use their summers on cold but dry days? Say under 35 degrees out? Or is it too dangerous. I live in NJ. I'm looking around for winter wheel/tire packages that fit my set up but have not pulled the trigger on anything yet.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have used summer tires on a few cars, including two 987s, in mild winter weather in the Washington DC area. I find that above 30° or so they lose some grip, but it's not too bad as long as I'm careful before the tires warm up. I've found when it's much under 30°, they lose too much grip to be safe, so I drive something else.

Ironically, when it's very cold and dry, I drive my old Spider since it has all seasons, and always get questions, comments and funny stares because of it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It rarely gets under 35 here but when it does I don't drive on summer tires and take our crossover with all seasons instead. People here don't know how to drive in conditions like that nor are they equipped to do so.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Strictly my opinion, but I draw the line at freezing. Can't speak to the Goodyears specifically but have driven Yoko AD08Rs in mid 30sF and recently Pilot sport cup 2s at mid 30s. Definitely less grip and have to be careful, but I haven't had any big issues.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Michelin Alpin PA4

When the temp is 40'ish or below, they are the best.
You can actually feel the heat in the tire even under normal driving.
Even in the wet they are tough to break free unless you are deliberately stabbing your pedal.
I like them so much that I'm going to leave them on till April.
I'm on Long Island which has similar weather to you Monty.

Enjoy that car.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I use a 2014 CS as a seasonal daily driver. I've got summer P-Zero's on and I drive carefully down to like 28 degrees F on dry roads. Yesterday, on the way home from work, it was a light mist and about 41 degrees and I noticed some loss of grip. It evidenced itself as a hard, fast skip-skip-skip under a moderately quick acceleration. I'll drive it down to 30 only when it's dry and only to work and back (9 miles each way.) Be careful, it's easy to become lulled into a false sense of security. thinking all is well. Drive safe

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
In 2012 I had the stock Bridgestones replaced (they were 5+ years old) w/Potenza S-04 Pole Position. As with the original tires, I drive on the S-04 Pole Position throughout the year, irrespective of the season.:drivingskid:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 14 981cs with 20 inch carrera s wheels and the Goodyear Eagle F1 summers on them. Does anyone use their summers on cold but dry days? Say under 35 degrees out? Or is it too dangerous. I live in NJ. I'm looking around for winter wheel/tire packages that fit my set up but have not pulled the trigger on anything yet.
As long as the streets are dry and clean I do. The car has great balance and low torque. Leave the PASM on and don't drive fast. What ever you do don't try short shifting launch control in manual mode. You may think your an F1 driver starting a race. Weeeee!

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I drove my 981 BS in the winter during dry conditions with summer tires here in Delaware (not far from the OP). Down to 23 degrees last year on Good Years. The tracton is terrible and you bascially need to treat the car as a Prius. I got wheel hop during moderate acceleration.

none of this is a good idea. I put my Porsche away in storage right now......9 days strong and I haven't pulled her out yet.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Got summer P Zeros on mine and drive it all winter when it's dry. It's below freezing on my commute to work almost every day. I take local roads and it's not a problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I drove my 981 BS in the winter during dry conditions with summer tires here in Delaware (not far from the OP). Down to 23 degrees last year on Good Years. The tracton is terrible and you bascially need to treat the car as a Prius. I got wheel hop during moderate acceleration.

none of this is a good idea. I put my Porsche away in storage right now......9 days strong and I haven't pulled her out yet.
Wheel hop, I've never had that and I've launched it at least 5-6 times. It spins much more in the cold (traction control flashing away) but I thought I didn't get the hop because of the lack of grip compared to PZeros. I wish I could have test driven my exact car with PZeros.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have used summer tires on a few cars, including two 987s, in mild winter weather in the Washington DC area. I find that above 30° or so they lose some grip, but it's not too bad as long as I'm careful before the tires warm up. I've found when it's much under 30°, they lose too much grip to be safe, so I drive something else.

Ironically, when it's very cold and dry, I drive my old Spider since it has all seasons, and always get questions, comments and funny stares because of it.

While , not a Cayman , I drove on my summer Dunlop Sport 2050 225/40 R18 last winter down to 10 degrees. Luckily I only had a 7 mile commute, but on dry days they worked .

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I drive my car in the winter with summer tires (20" wheels) down to around 32º if it is dry. I just use a little more caution.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Every year at Watkins Glen we usually stress that the performance summer tires really lose a lot of grip starting at around 40 degrees & down. Our last DE of the season are usually mid October in NY.
I have seen quite a few really good drivers go off when the temp was too low. Not a good idea to stripe the car with that Watkins Glen fence Blue. Yes they started to push it on the track, but the tires just let go when too cold. Most european cars have a snowflake light in the panel to warn of cold/ please beware.
I have driven summer performance tires in the cold but I did not like the loss of grip. Maybe I could just slow down. Not.

Bill K

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
While I agree that cautiously driving on max performance summers down to around 30 degrees F is viable (if not a lot of fun), having a set of performance winters on a second set of wheels means you can drive your car even on very cold days when the roads are clear of snow/ice/salt. Another factor to consider for those leaving on their summers to take advanateg of +30 dry days, is the storage temperature of the tires. TireRack advises that if the summer tires are stored in an unheated location that reaches less than 20 degrees F, they should be gradually brought back to 40 degrees over a 24-hour or longer period before subjecting them to any flex. If the tires are mounted on a car in an unheated garage where the temprature was 10 overnight, then heats up to 30 or 35 the next day, it might not be prudent to drive on them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=220

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have the same tire/wheel set up you have and I am in NJ. I do not like the feel of my Goodyear Summer tires under 40 degrees. They take a long time to heat up and give me the same level of confidence I normally have. While I do not drive my car in the Winter, I did take it out last week in 30 degree weather and both the tires and I were not so happy for the first 20-25 minutes of driving.

From 2004-2009 I drove a Mini Cooper S with Summer tires and I did not feel at that time that I had the same loss of traction that I am experiencing now. However, in the better weather the current Summer tires are far superior to the ones I had 10 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
You have gotten a lot of answers. I have a "few years experience" with keeping summer tires on Porsches, but live a bit south of you. The others advice is good. Below 41 degrees the tires are not so good. Below freezing, just leave the car home. The tires become ... crap. There should be no good reason for driving on those tires below freezing.

If there is snow on the ground or temp below freezing, I would never take the car out (or salt on the road either). That does not mean the car has to be garaged. It only means there is no point in driving it and taking chances with tires not meant for the weather.

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts
35 degress would be about the limit of what I would subject my ultra-performance tires to. I remember from my 350z days, that below that they loose grip *significantly* and dangerous for anything but slow straight driving. If it's snowing - it quickly become Russian roulette, with 4 bullets in the drum.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Below 40 here I was already losing some traction and had to baby it to be safe (usually with one of my kids in the passenger seat). Certainly not fun driving. Since then I've hooked up the battery maintainer and have my CGTS sitting in the garage. Ordered winter tires and wheels and looking forward to be able to drive the CGTS again in Jan when they arrive.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I guess those tough Hawaiian winters don't call for winter tires.

In 2012 I had the stock Bridgestones replaced (they were 5+ years old) w/Potenza S-04 Pole Position. As with the original tires, I drive on the S-04 Pole Position throughout the year, irrespective of the season.:drivingskid:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts